Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
TJM

Default Alaska trip

We are planning a Alaska trip and have a few questions. To begin with, we have nothing but time for this trip. Are there any other folks out there that have made the trip using the Alaska Highway and starting at Dawson Creek,B.C.? If so, how is the road, camping areas,gas stations,towns and what about elevation? I was told the highest point is some 4,100 feet. That seems kind of low. I am trying to stay at as low of elevation as possible. has anyone went into Canada from Seattle and then up? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #2

Hi TJM,

I know several couples who have made the Alaska trek with their trailers. They all used The Milepost, and swore by it. It will probably answer most of your questions. Check it out at: http://www.themilepost.com

Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
TJM

Hi Jim... thanks for the reply. Now if I can just get an idea how high the highest point between where I am at, in Missouri, to Dawson Creek, I'll be in business. Would there be any way i could contact one of your friends via email or phone? Thanks ,Tom
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 AM   #4

Hi Tom,

I'll see if the couple who went there most recently (about 3 years ago) will share. It may be low on their priority list since he's since suffered a serious head injury in a skiing accident and is struggling. They never mentioned any concerns about altitude, but then they live in Colorado and are/were very experienced at high altitude camping. By my memory, they expressed the most concern about the big trucks speeding back and forth... came away from the experience believing the commercial drivers, on that run, were pretty cutthroat on the road.

Unless you don't feel comfortable about it, I'm curious as to why altitude is a concern for you?

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Hi Tom,

I'll see if the couple who went there most recently (about 3 years ago) will share. It may be low on their priority list since he's since suffered a serious head injury in a skiing accident and is struggling. They never mentioned any concerns about altitude, but then they live in Colorado and are/were very experienced at high altitude camping. By my memory, they expressed the most concern about the big trucks speeding back and forth... came away from the experience believing the commercial drivers, on that run, were pretty cutthroat on the road.

Unless you don't feel comfortable about it, I'm curious as to why altitude is a concern for you?

Jim
Hi Jim. Thanks for the info.My reason for asking about the altitude is how much trouble will I have at higher elevation, as far as towing, not about camping.Just this past April, my wife and I went to Southern California, via visiting with family in Dallas for a few days, continuing through New Mexico and Arizona.Our tow vehicle, 2001 Toyota Tacoma,V6,4wd,automatic strained a little in higher elevation. Coming back home to Missouri, we came back through Phoenix, up to Williams and the Grand Canyon. We hit some higher elevation on that portion of the trip. We are just trying to avoid too much elevation over 6,000 feet if at all possible.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #6

Hi Tom,

Overall, how do you like your Tacoma as a tow vehicle? How big is your Hi-Lo?

BTW, I'd love to make the Alaska run some day... Its on my bucket list! I've heard of folks doing the drive up, then catching the auto ferry at Skagway and cruising back south. Also heard the ferry costs BIG bucks, but it would add a unique twist to such an epic trip.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Hi Jim. Thanks for the info.My reason for asking about the altitude is how much trouble will I have at higher elevation, as far as towing, not about camping.Just this past April, my wife and I went to Southern California, via visiting with family in Dallas for a few days, continuing through New Mexico and Arizona.Our tow vehicle, 2001 Toyota Tacoma,V6,4wd,automatic strained a little in higher elevation. Coming back home to Missouri, we came back through Phoenix, up to Williams and the Grand Canyon. We hit some higher elevation on that portion of the trip. We are just trying to avoid too much elevation over 6,000 feet if at all possible.
I don't know that altitude is the major concern. I towed my 17' HiLo over twe 11,000+ foot passes in Colorado with a 6-cyl Nissan Frontier. We also went over several minor (10,000' passes too). I was in 1st gear, but it did fine. And I pulled the trailer up onto Mt Graham in Arizona (!0,000+ feet) with no real trouble.

BUT, I found pulling that same trailer out of the Verde Valley in Arizona on a long 12 mile 7-8% grade in the summer that I was running hot with this combination. So, I bought the F150.

The real problem, I think is outside temperature if the tow vehicle is working extra hard. I'd think you won't have problems way up north with the climbs you're talking about.

- Jack
Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #8

[QUOTE=TJM;3572]
HI TJM
We did the trip 2009. Great trip. If you stay on the Alaska hwy you never get above aprox 3500'. The road follows the valleys and goes around the mountains.
The road is in much better condition than I expected. We are planning on going again 2011 or 2012. If you would like more info email me at loghm@aol.com with your phone # and best time to call and I will call you.
JIM L
2005 HILO 29'
2003 Chevy Silverado
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #9

I've always wondered if there were plenty of gas stations along the way?
boater454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #10

No problem finding fuel, usually within 50 t0 60 miles. There may have been one spot where it was 100 miles. The Milepost book list all and this trip should not be made without it. No problem finding campgrounds or RV parks. Many wide pulloffs where you can just stop and dry camp.
JIM L
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #11

Jim L,

That was quite a trip for you. I'm assuming that you started from Virginia! Did travel east/west through Canada or the USA? I'm curious as to how it is traveling east/west through southern Canada.

Are you, by chance, from around Fredericksburg? We have a daughter and family living south of Stafford.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 01-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
TJM

Quote:
Hi Tom,

Overall, how do you like your Tacoma as a tow vehicle? How big is your Hi-Lo?

BTW, I'd love to make the Alaska run some day... Its on my bucket list! I've heard of folks doing the drive up, then catching the auto ferry at Skagway and cruising back south. Also heard the ferry costs BIG bucks, but it would add a unique twist to such an epic trip.

Jim

Really like the Tacoma as a tow vehicle. Last April we went to Alpine (San Diego County) and camped going through Dallas (seeing our son,daughter in law and granddaughter) on to carlsbad New Mexico, then Benson Arizona and finally California. No problems except a little strain going over the mountaims from 7,000 feet on up. Coming back, came through Phoenix and the North to Flagstaff and West to Williams. Got snowed in at Williams for 3 days ( no fault of truck or trailer). Truck is great. It's a 2001 with 126,000 miles on it and feel it is almost broke in. Love it. We have a 1996 22' Hi-Lo
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Jim L,

That was quite a trip for you. I'm assuming that you started from Virginia! Did travel east/west through Canada or the USA? I'm curious as to how it is traveling east/west through southern Canada.

Are you, by chance, from around Fredericksburg? We have a daughter and family living south of Stafford.

Jim
Hi Jim
Yes we started in VA to OK, Colorado Springs, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Glacier natl park, Banff and on up the hwy to Alaska. We did return thru mid Canada and Southern Canada to Chicago. The roads thru Canada including the Alaska Hwy are great. Southern Canada is flat. We were on the road 91/2 weeks, traveled 12400 miles, averaged 16 1/2 MPG towing the 29' Hilo. Will make the trip again in 2012. We do live about 60 miles from Fredericksburg, west in the Mtns. If you get this way look us up. We have full hookups. If you are thinking of the Alaska trip and would like to talk, email us at loghm@aol.com with a phone # an I will call you. Much better at talking than typing.
JIM L
29' 2005 HILO
2003 Chevy Silverado diesel
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
TJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
Hi Jim
Yes we started in VA to OK, Colorado Springs, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Glacier natl park, Banff and on up the hwy to Alaska. We did return thru mid Canada and Southern Canada to Chicago. The roads thru Canada including the Alaska Hwy are great. Southern Canada is flat. We were on the road 91/2 weeks, traveled 12400 miles, averaged 16 1/2 MPG towing the 29' Hilo. Will make the trip again in 2012. We do live about 60 miles from Fredericksburg, west in the Mtns. If you get this way look us up. We have full hookups. If you are thinking of the Alaska trip and would like to talk, email us at loghm@aol.com with a phone # an I will call you. Much better at talking than typing.
JIM L
29' 2005 HILO
2003 Chevy Silverado diesel
Where did you get on the Alaska highway? That is, entry point from the States.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #15

Hi Jim (L),

Next time we head toward Virginia we will contact you, would be fun to meet fellow Hi-Lo Forum members! Having said that, the last couple of years our daughter and family has been meeting us in Florida for 1 to 2 weeks in late fall (HAH, just say "Disneyworld'" and our granddaughter starts packing), so our visits to Virginia have tapered off. In other words, I'm not sure when we'll next be your area... although we are thinking in terms of a trailer road trip, to visit them, in the not-to-far future.

Regarding an Alaska trip, that's at least three years out for us. Then I'll probably be asking all kinds of questions like Tom (TJM)!

Thanks for the road info. for So. Canada. We're headed to Michigan this summer and are considering a return via Canada. We've been to Canada a number of times, but always into the boundary area north of Idaho... so our knowledge of the rest of the Canadian road system is very limited. Doesn't sound very difficult.

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #16

TJM,
We made the trip to Alaska in 2009, driving the Alcan highway backward...(the Polish way, as my Polish husband says). However our experience won't help you much because we weren't towing a trailer.
However, after our Alaska trip, we realized how much we missed a trailer. With a trailer we would have had more flexibility and would have spent days in certain areas. Our neighbors who trailered there last year particularly liked Laird Hot Springs and Valdez, both places we bypassed. Our goal is to return with trailer in a couple of years.
Are you familiar with Trailer Life's forum? There is even a section on that forum specific to Alaska/Canada. I'm sure you'll be able to have all your questions answered. For our vacation last summer to Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming, that site helped in deciding campsites, etc., and I'm using information there for our trip to Washington state this summer.
Carol
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #17

Hello,
I am going to Alaska for one whole week, I live in Las Vegas and I have to fly there. I have never been on a flight and I don't know what I should bring on the plane and even just on the whole trip. To be honest I know NOTHING about Alaska but am willing to learn. Please Help me out by listing some things to bring on a plane or on the trip just as a whole

Thanks

New York city limo services

kavin is offline   Reply With Quote