Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Default been on the road

Just returned from 2500 mile trip from Wisconsin down to Charelston SC then back through Georgia and home. had a couple family events so took the trailer so we could travel with the aging dog who needs, believe it or not, air conditioning or, at least, low heat /humidity. So- when we camped we stayed where there was electric. Interesting for us to do the "on the road" scenario where we were setting up and taking down the next day. A bit of a pain but we were getting better by the end and I could drop and level and get plugged in usually in less than ten minutes. Got quick at doing the dump on the way out each morning, also. Took off on Sept 1 and stayed with family over labor day weekend in SC, so most state park campgrounds we picked were usually empty for the most part. A BIG THANK YOU to whoever recommended Red Top Mountain state park north of Atlanta where we stayed put for three nights. And that was my only regret- that we had to pack up and leave so many neat places without getting to explore. Biggest takeaway for me was realizing I need to figure out running the frig on electric(12v) ----as has been the case with many of you. Certainly comes in handy when one is moving daily. However, with AC each night things seemed to stay pretty cold until the next night. Im not sure the 12v setting was actually working. I will work on finding out, though.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Welcome back, Rick! Practice makes perfect, doesn't it?

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

There should be an inline fuse for the fridge inside the bottom vent, check that out. If the fuse is good, with a multi-meter, check for 12 volts coming to the fuse. The fridge is usually wired in at one of the circuit breakers in the pump/battery compartment. If the fridge is in fact working you should be able to feel warmth on the chimney or the upper vent.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Hilltool,
Glad to hear you and yours had a great time, and welcome back! Isn't Red Top great? On your way to Red Top, you passed a CG called Clark Creek North. It's run by the Army corps of Engineers (COE). We were there just before Labor Day then moved to McKaskey Creek about 23miles away. Clark Creek North is almost at water level! There are only 28 sites and ALL are water front. As an "old man" entitled to the Senior Pass/Interagency Pass, it's half price at $15 a day. Norn is $30. Very quiet and VERY fishable!
McKaskey Creek is larger but lots of fun, also COE. And Moonstruck might visit you, if he's in town. Very nice couple, he and Lou.
Pics soon?
Treeclimber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #5

Hey- I think I did see that campground on the way in. I will have to check it out next time. I would qualify for the geezer discount as well. I can only imagine how crowded Red Top gets when the demand is high or leaves start changing- but I like I said, pulling in on a Monday/Labor day at 4:00 pm meant it was pretty empty. Great sites for my 22 footer- though many would have been tight. I did get chuckle one evening, though, watching a very large 5th wheeler cruising the lake front road after dark looking for a spot. No way. Nice pull thrus, though, at the front for those type rigs. Again, thanks for the heads up.

Rick

4x4
Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Rick,
The "old geezer discount" is called "Senior Pass". For a life time card it's $10. Must be purchased in person at a Federal site. I had to drive about 28 miles because the closest Federal sales point was a national wildlife refuge. They work at most Federal, National, Army corps of Engineers, US Forestry and US Fish and Wildlife or Bureau of Land Management destinations . Parks or attractions. It's like a federal AARP card! At our age, we earned it!
Treeclimber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 09-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

Oh, I know. I have one. I just like calling it that. I waited until we had gotten to a federal bird refuge in Florida last year before getting mine- as there were no federal outlets close to me here in Wisconsin in January when I turned 62. Getting it online would have been another $10-$20 and would have involved mailing in notarized document confirming my age. So I waited. Got there, walked in proudly and pulled out my drivers license to show proof of age-----and the federal employee was blind! I Wrote a check, even. Felt like I was in the middle of "Alices' Restaurant". I was with friends a few years ago in Big Bend National park and when one of them pulled theirs out so they could finally use it- turned out it was the "free federal park day". They are definitely a right-of-passage.

Rick

4x4
Old 09-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Got mine at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island. 45 min away plus $6.00 to cross the causeway, but over the short time I've had it, it has saved money. And they generally have well equipped camp-sites. I have noticed though, not much room for the big rigs.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 09-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

There are a variety of Federal park passes available for those who may not know it. If you are a disabled veteran, or permanently disabled, you qualify for the Access Pass (no age restriction). I believe cost is $10 and it's good for life. More info here:

America the Beautiful (U.S. National Park Service)

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote