Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #1

Default Camping outside of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

Here are a few pics from the Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area of the Smoky Mountains.

Usually twice a year we head for our favorite campground, "Up the Creek Rv Camp" outside of Pigeon Forge. It is a few miles out of town and has creeks surrounding it so most sites are next to the water. There are full hookups but no laundry, rec room, or showers so it is very quiet and peaceful.

We always take our dogs, RC the furry short one and Snappy Tom, the 12-year-old border collie. They love to swim in the creeks! They also love our Hi-Lo. They see us getting it ready and they can hardly wait to hit the road!

We don't have an awning on our 1993 Funlite so we use a screen room instead. We like it a lot.

We have never seen any other Hi-Lo in the 7 years we have had ours. Where are you, Hi-Lo people?? (I did a preview and don't know why some of the pics are sideways sorry)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2436.jpg (411.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5280.jpg (590.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3138.jpg (124.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6084.jpg (327.1 KB, 14 views)

Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

Neat (cute doggo too)!

This screen room sounds interesting - what it is it? Do you have pics of it?

Thanks!

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Site Team

KnottyRig, think that's it in the second pic. We picked up a Colman from amazon for about $148. a 10' X 12'. Snappy's appears to be larger than that. We extend the awning then put the door of the screen room just under the awning - no rain gets in. Love it.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:13 AM   #4

Default pics of screen room

Hey KnottyRig, my sister bought the screen room from Costco a few years ago. It comes in a bag and assembles easily like a tent. It is 9' x 11' I believe and has two doors with magnetic closures. It doesn't have a floor. It is big enough to easily put over a picnic table plus have extra room for a couple chairs or anything you want to keep out of the rain.

Treeclimber has an ideal setup with the awning covering the path to the screen room. If it's raining we have to make a dash through the wet to get to ours!

Here's a couple pics to that may show more detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6076.jpg (294.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3132.jpg (334.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
Site Team

Snappy, I blew up a pic of your screen room, I like that! I also noticed that your front window cover is distorted (cracked?) along the lower edge. Repair is simple with a strip of aluminum and some 1/4" rivets on the inside. Nearly invisible. Your lighting is great, also. You look like your in a nice park setting. Pigeon Forge, hummmm not too far away. Your right about seeing very few Hi Los out there. I don't think there are many in the south east. We feel lucky in seeing about 12 in our travels, there were THREE of us in Panama City. St Andrews SP. Two from FL and one from LA.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #6

Default Seeing other Hi-Los

Just got back late Monday evening from the annual Walnut Valley Festival (WVFest.com)! Besides numerous other Hi-Los from across the USA, there were THREE (3) of us within 100 Yards of each other for 10 days. The other 2 were 1990s Classics.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #7
sam

Default screen room

Nice screen room. I always advise any one to get a screen room,easy up versus the cost of awning replacement. I agree 1990 Classic HiLos rock. That is why I call ours old faithful.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #8

Hey Treeclimber! I think it is the corner of the window cover you are seeing that makes it look distorted. The angle of the picture. No crack! We just took that window out by the way. We are resealing all the windows with butyl tape and doing the roof with Eternabond. Also replaced a cable today. And lubed the cables and greased the guide rod. Later this week we are putting Sealtite corner seal on all the corners. Filled up some delaminated spots with foam. Took the clamps off today.

Having a great time working on the Hi-Lo! The cable is kind of easy to replace. The hardest part was figuring out how to use the swaging tool. YouTube to the rescue!!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce from Kansas View Post
Just got back late Monday evening from the annual Walnut Valley Festival (WVFest.com)! Besides numerous other Hi-Los from across the USA, there were THREE (3) of us within 100 Yards of each other for 10 days. The other 2 were 1990s Classics.
That is awesome! Jealous!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Nice screen room. I always advise any one to get a screen room,easy up versus the cost of awning replacement. I agree 1990 Classic HiLos rock. That is why I call ours old faithful.
Yes our 1993 Funlite is hanging in there. And I really love our screen room! I tell the dogs to stay in there and they are out of the way while we do things around camp.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Tom View Post
... Filled up some delaminated spots with foam. Took the clamps off today....
How did you complete this? By using a pinhole to shoot the foam in then Clamping it, or some other method?
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 09-24-2017, 10:07 PM   #12

When we took out the windows we could see some spots so we used the low foaming door and window foam and stuck the tube it comes with in there and filled them up! Then we got boards and clamps and left them on a few days to dry.

I guess if you need to get in there further than the tube goes you can tape on some more tubing for better reach. With the windows out it makes filling and clamping easy.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

Durn, My delaminated spots aren't near the windows. They seem to start at both the Roof line & the Range Exhaust on the street side. Not too bad yet, but I want stop it before it gets very bad.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 09-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #14

Hmmmm, not sure about that. It is beyond the realm of my limited expertise! Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I will offer some advice. Have you searched the forum for delamination issues?
Old 09-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #15

Started a thread here, http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f25/...758/#post39206, but haven't tried anything yet.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 09-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Tom View Post
Here are a few pics from the Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area of the Smoky Mountains.

Usually twice a year we head for our favorite campground, "Up the Creek Rv Camp" outside of Pigeon Forge. It is a few miles out of town and has creeks surrounding it so most sites are next to the water. There are full hookups but no laundry, rec room, or showers so it is very quiet and peaceful.

We always take our dogs, RC the furry short one and Snappy Tom, the 12-year-old border collie. They love to swim in the creeks! They also love our Hi-Lo. They see us getting it ready and they can hardly wait to hit the road!

We don't have an awning on our 1993 Funlite so we use a screen room instead. We like it a lot.

We have never seen any other Hi-Lo in the 7 years we have had ours. Where are you, Hi-Lo people?? (I did a preview and don't know why some of the pics are sideways sorry)
Nice looking campground. We camped at an RV park in Pigeon Forge about two years ago. Enjoyed the area but would not go back just because of all the traffic in the area. Worse than California freeways.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #17

You gotta avoid weekends when UT plays at home for sure!!