Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #1

Default colorado trip

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Colorado. Has anyone been to Rocky Mountain National Park, Loveland or Estes Park area. Can you recommend any good campsites with water and electric hookups. I'm pulling a 19 ft Towlight with a 2012 Toyota 4 Runner (v-6 engine). What can I expect with this combination when going over the mountain passes? Am I under powered? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mr. C

photocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocamper View Post
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Colorado. Has anyone been to Rocky Mountain National Park, Loveland or Estes Park area. Can you recommend any good campsites with water and electric hookups. I'm pulling a 19 ft Towlight with a 2012 Toyota 4 Runner (v-6 engine). What can I expect with this combination when going over the mountain passes? Am I under powered? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mr. C
I towed my 17ft towlite over 11,000 to passes in Colorado twice with an older Nissan Frontier 6 cyl. Your trailer is only slightly heavier than mine, so I think you should be able to do it. I was in 1st gear on the uphill pulls (Monarch and Red Mountain passes) but I made it without overheating or damage.

We've camped with the trailer in Rocky Mountain NP twice - it's my favorite park. We "dry camp", so always used the campgrounds inside the park. There are several commercial campgrounds outside though, and I'm sure they're all fine. Estes Park has many camping places, and they would be convenient. Possibly, you could reserve a spot?

- Jack

Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 AM   #3

Mr. C, there was so much damage done to campgrounds and roads in Colorado by heavy rain, heavy flooding, and blocked rivers in the not too distant past, especially in Estes Park and the surrounding area. I would place phone calls to the campgrounds you are considering to determine if all the roads, bridges, and infrastructure of the campgrounds are back to pre-flood condition with the services you need.

Jack, how recent was your trip to the Colorado Rockies?

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
Mr. C, there was so much damage done to campgrounds and roads in Colorado by heavy rain, heavy flooding, and blocked rivers in the not too distant past, especially in Estes Park and the surrounding area. I would place phone calls to the campgrounds you are considering to determine if all the roads, bridges, and infrastructure of the campgrounds are back to pre-flood condition with the services you need.

Jack, how recent was your trip to the Colorado Rockies?

Dee
Good advice, Dee. I was last there two years before the floods and destruction. I'd totally forgotten about that - a "senior moment"?

Looking at the news coverage, it appeared to me that most of the destruction was to the approaches to Estes Park, not to the town itself. But, Mr. C, you DEFINITELY must call or check online before you go. I'd start with the Chamber of Commerce - they should have current information on the travel routes. I imagine they also have a listing of campsites and contact info.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #5

Jack, when all that happened, I routinely read a particular couple's blog who are full timers in a big diesel pusher motorhome. They were camped in a private campground by a river/stream outside of Estes Park and said they had become complacent about checking their weather radio. While they were sleeping, about 2:00 a.m. the police started banging on their motorhome door and yelling to them during heavy rain that they must leave the campground immediately. When they broke camp, they had no idea which was the best route out of there, so decided to follow the camper in front of them and praying to God that the people towing that camper knew where they were going. When they reached this bridge not far from the campground, it was pitch black dark, and water was already flowing across the bridge about ankle deep. The camper in front of them started crossing at a steady gait without stopping, and they also did so with their motorhome. After a few hours, the camper turned into a Wal-Mart parking lot, they did too with the motorhome. The parking lot was covered in RVs. Wal-Mart was passing out free coffee and food. I see some bad comments about Wal-Mart once in a while, but when the chips are down, they are there to help. The only damage they had to the motorhome was water-logged basement compartments which they dried out when briefly the raining stopped. The trip out of that situation was definitely done on a wing and a prayer.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Great story, Dee! I'm glad I wasn't there to experience that in person!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #7

Jack and Dee,

Thanks for the information and excellent advice. I will certainly be calling ahead of my departure. On the National Parks website they indicated several crossings and trails that were out of commission in Rocky Mountain National Park. On some of the campsite reviews for Loveland and Estes Park I see numerous campgrounds that have "permanent residents". The ratings were somewhat low for these campsites, which limits our options. It's great to have a forum like this one to receive sound advice.

Thanks,

Mr. C

photocamper is offline   Reply With Quote