Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #1

Default Easter weekend at Roosevelt Lake AZ

Finally went camping last weekend and the trip was GREAT.
We had 3" of rain in an hour so I was able to find all leaks. We stayed dry though. I need to pull everything off the outside like windows and vents and re-caulk. Simple task.

Fridge was very COLD on propane but I may need to replace the heating element as it did not work on AC/DC. Another no biggie. I just put 5# of dry ice in the freezer before heading up the hill.

We called our Hi-Lo the South Side Slum as everyone else was in large motor homes and toy haulers... all of which I passed on the way home. BlaHaHa.

The brakes worked enough but not very strong. May not matter in future as I have my eyes on a 2008 3/4 ton Toyota Tundra with the 5.7, crew cab and long bed. My dream truck in last image.

Anyhow, whats the saying? Oh...No pictures, no happen.

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140419_185851.jpg (70.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20140418_183424.jpg (93.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20140419_184019.jpg (81.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20140418_183452.jpg (92.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20140421_170521.jpg (93.2 KB, 48 views)

slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
sam

Default Easter weekend camping

Sounds like you had a great trip out. Just to clarify. Given the age of your HiLo I would advise you to completely pull each window out and reinstall with butyl tape and Lexel caulk. You will also get a peek at your interior walls. Hopefully no water damage. You tube has a video on how to do this your self. Great pictures.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
sam

Default Easter weekend campout

Just remember big rigs equals big $ payments.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #4

Thanks Sam. I am going to use the original type puddy tape as I wish to remove the windows again when/if I paint it. I do have some wood damage and will inspect throughly when apart.

I used to work on RV's in the mid 70's. We built and set up the first generation full slideout park models. Working with windows and walls were a daily job and I hate H2o leaks.

Rick
Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
sam

Default Easter weekend camping

Sounds like you have a lot of trailer repair experience. This will come in very handy. Just think of all the $ you will save doing your own repairs. In many cases better than original.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #6

Yes. Thanks. For me it is FUN (now). I bought a wide crown and 3/16" crown Senco staple guns to aid in any building needed...and because...well...I just missed not having these anymore.
Check out the table I made 2 weeks ago that I just posted. I scored 83 sheets of 1/8" thick by 5' square birch plywood for $2.00 each. Some 1/2" for free from same CL seller made my base. I just topped it with the light/dark grain and 5 coats of varnish. More coats to follow.
I need to adjust the cable on the left rear still. It is about 1.5" low.
I have a LONG list of things to repair/replace but it works as is so a campong I will go.

Oh. The thin ply is mostly being used for sliding doors... on my pallet racks in the shop out back.
Rick