Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Default Extended trips

6 weeks last trip, 5 the one before, and another 5 soon.
This is what it looks like to drive this much fully loaded. Tire blew, tore fender apart. Spare on now.

Lost the propane tank covers somewhere in Oklahoma from crosswinds… or was it a tornado???

Moab. Can you see the climber way up the wall?

Leguna Seca

Old 05-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #2

I’ve blown trailer tires from being heavily loaded and then trailer-braking down a hill to steady sway. Exciting for sure (sounds like a shotgun going off).

Ever since I take tire temps at every stop to get an idea how the load is, or if there’s a problem. Found I had a shifted load once because one of the 4 tires had an elevated temp compared to the rest.

What happened in your case? Are you running near max load for the truck? Was the blown tire rated for that load? Did the tire have some age? (Just curious, to learn from your experience).

KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #3

old tires.
Im looking into the tire psi monitoring things.
This last one was after driving through Palm Springs in the afternoon (wanted to get passed before it got hot), it was 100. Tires heated, psi went way up. I checked and it was 130 psi (not the 70 I started with), on 80 psi tires.
Naw, this gauge has to be broken….
That evening the tread blew off, but didnt flat at least.
Newer tires should be able to take twice the rated psi, but not older ones.
I was running used tires, bad move, to experiment with a different size for mpg. Dont like that size now.

I blew a trailer tire on HILO driving it home from purchase. I think they were original tires (22 yrs old). I did not know it blew for a while. I smelled the burning rubber so pulled over to check in the dark. could not change the tire bc of the dumb design, so slept there, changed it in the morning, and blew another one before I got home.
5 new tires, and new taller axles so I have ground clearance and can change a tire on the trailer.
I had another trailer where the axle broke. Also, I did not know this until a passer-by pointed it out. Dragged the trailer on the metal 11 miles apparently. Big truck, big heavy truck…
Old 06-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

I have learned the hard way that you have to check the tire pressure before every trip and at every overnight stay. I have a 2002 24' towlite with the smaller tires. The fully loaded weight of the camper is the same as the max rating on the 4 tires with no wiggle room. Make sure you are starting out at max pressure before any trip and you have a balanced load.
Beach Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marininn View Post
old tires.
Im looking into the tire psi monitoring things.
This last one was after driving through Palm Springs in the afternoon (wanted to get passed before it got hot), it was 100. Tires heated, psi went way up. I checked and it was 130 psi (not the 70 I started with), on 80 psi tires.
Naw, this gauge has to be broken….
That evening the tread blew off, but didnt flat at least.
Newer tires should be able to take twice the rated psi, but not older ones.
I was running used tires, bad move, to experiment with a different size for mpg. Dont like that size now.

I blew a trailer tire on HILO driving it home from purchase. I think they were original tires (22 yrs old). I did not know it blew for a while. I smelled the burning rubber so pulled over to check in the dark. could not change the tire bc of the dumb design, so slept there, changed it in the morning, and blew another one before I got home.
5 new tires, and new taller axles so I have ground clearance and can change a tire on the trailer.
I had another trailer where the axle broke. Also, I did not know this until a passer-by pointed it out. Dragged the trailer on the metal 11 miles apparently. Big truck, big heavy truck…
Several years ago we were westbound on Interstate 10 east of Tuscon, AZ when we unknowingly lost the tread on a tire.
When we were nearly in Tuscon, the flashing lights of a AZ Highway Patrol pulled along side me and motioned for me to pull over. After stopping he told me about the tire. A spare tire was put on and we made it back to Southern California. The following day I was on my way to get a new set of tires when I lost tread on another tire just after leaving home. Last summer, eastbound on Interstate 40 about 60 miles west of Needles, CA we lost tread again on a tire that was only two years old. None of the tires blew out, just lost tread.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Just curious, what brand of tires and where were they made?
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Just curious, what brand of tires and where were they made?
The first brand were Carlisle, which I had a an extended warranty on, but when I lost the tread on Interstate 40 I bought new tires in Kingman, AZ and they are the new Good Year Road Master Tires, made in the
USA and rated for 85 miles per hour. These are supposedly the first trailer tires made in the USA for a number of years. So far, so good. We drove on to Massachusetts and then down to Gulf Shores, Alabama before heading back to SO CA.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 06-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

What tire pressure do people run on?
1995 23' FunLite
2007 Silverado C-1500 LT, regular cab, standard box, 5.3L flex fuel, 3.73 GR, 13k lbs GCWR
seseeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seseeley View Post
My old tires were 55psi, but I think the new ones are 65psi. Can't check the trailer due to its location.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 06-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seseeley View Post
It depends on what tires you are running. Look on the tire and use what is marked on them. You DO NOT want to under-inflate them, that is a reason for failure.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote