Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #1

Default Father's Day Weekend - Galveston, TX

My son-in-law and I got the wives to agree to let us have a 2-day camping trip to Galveston, Tx which is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from Houston. We hooked Miss Daisy, his 1989 22' Fun Chaser to my Toyota Tundra and off we went. We have not camped out in the high heat so we were a little concerned about how the Coleman AC would perform. We run it regularly at home with no problems, but with 94-98 degree temps the unit wasn't throwing out cool air. We thought my garage plug was underrated for the task, especially with the heat.

Our campsite was the San Luis Pass County Park. From Galveston you travel over the San Luis Pass Bridge which connects Galveston with Freeport. The site is an old KOA campsite which is surrounded by water. You cross a wooden bridge to get to it......pretty cool.

We like to saltwater fish, but we especially love to gig flounder at night. We gig at Galveston because the currents and undertow at San Luis Pass are dangerous. Friday night we saw 4 undersized flounder. They have to be at least 14" to gig and the limit is 5 per person. We use underwater LED flounder lights that we made. Each light has 2 LEDs that can light up out to 12' in front of you. They are powered by a self-contained 11.1 oz lipo rechargeable battery at the end of the light. We wear chest waders and heavy stingray boots. If you step on a stingray expect to visit the ER because their barb stinger is jagged. We shuffle our boots as we walk.

We gigged 2 flounder on Saturday night and caught a 20" keeper redfish. I caught a 2' hammerhead shark and other throwbacks.

The AC performed flawlessly. The warmest temp in the Hi-Lo was 71 degrees during the day with the shades up. The outside temp was 90 degrees. At night the unit hit 65 degrees with an outside temp of 80 degrees. I had to use a quilt to sleep.

To keep the cabin darker we cut out a piece of a Coleman foam camping mat and fit it into the roof vent in the main cabin and closed the rear bathroom door and privacy panel. We think this helped keep the sun out as well keeping us cool.

The campsite was 99% occupied this weekend. On other weekends we usually have no problem getting a last minute site. We were the only Hi-Lo there. We've been out 5 times now and have never seen another Hi-Lo. My SIL was complimented on his unit by a neighbor. He said he and his wife do a lot of traveling in their motor home and have seen other Hi-Los, but he said my SIL's was the nicest he'd seen. He seemed to know a lot about them. He had 2 large AC units on his rig and he said the coolest his unit was able to get to was 75 degrees.

All in all, we had a great time and Miss Daisy performed well.

Here's a few pics of the flounder we gigged:

Mine's the bigger one!

89Hilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Sounds like you had a great time!
Snappy Tom is offline   Reply With Quote