Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Gulf Shores, Alabama

We are five weeks into our camping trip and the majority of our nights have been in an RV Park. We spent three nights at Bay Breeze RV Park in Gulf Shores and we were right on the water with a great view of the bay. We arrived in Vicksburg, Mississippi this afternoon and had nearly finished setting up when a 2003 17 ft Hi Low pulled in. Had to introduce myself to Roy and Cathy from Florida, who were on there return trip from San Francisco, CA. Since leaving California in August, we have seen a Hi Low on the road in Utah, Colorado, New York, Pennsylvania and now Mississippi.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
sam

Default camping at Southwoods RV resort.

We arrived Thursday at 5PM as we had to wait for our daughter to finish her shift at HD. We used our AC and then it dropped down into the 50s...furnice weather. By Friday we had fourteen in our group and enjoyed a big campfire. Saturday morning we had a pancake breakfast with all the trimmings. Our eighty something HiLo sales man cooked pancakes. It rained so we all went to nap and hibernate in our HiLos. Two of our members had different trailers and we got the grand tours. One trailer had a Murphy bed in it. Plenty of conversation,lies and more lies. Sunday it was still raining on and off with temps in the 60s. We hated to complain about the rain as it hadn't rained this good since May. Saturday we went into town and ate at a local dinner called "Miss Batavia". We had eaten here before. Just a great group of friendly campers.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Just a great group of friendly campers.
My experience here in Northwest Alabama has been nothing but good. We are fortunate to have several state parks within a hour of where we live. We've been to Davy Crockett in Tennessee, Joe Wheeler in Alabama, Piney Grove in Mississippi, and to JP Coleman in Mississippi. Seems like everywhere we go everyone is so friendly and ready to help you back in your spot and get unhooked. There is no lack of people trying to give you firewood if they notice you don't have any. Seems like "Campers" are some of the friendliest people you will find anywhere...
motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpig2342 View Post
My experience here in Northwest Alabama has been nothing but good. We are fortunate to have several state parks within a hour of where we live. We've been to Davy Crockett in Tennessee, Joe Wheeler in Alabama, Piney Grove in Mississippi, and to JP Coleman in Mississippi. Seems like everywhere we go everyone is so friendly and ready to help you back in your spot and get unhooked. There is no lack of people trying to give you firewood if they notice you don't have any. Seems like "Campers" are some of the friendliest people you will find anywhere...
Only place we have stayed in Alabama is at an RV park in Gulf Shores. The park was right on the gulf and the owners were great. They did not accept credit cards, cash or check only. If you went into the office to make a purchase and they weren't in the office, we were told to take what we wanted and leave the cash on the counter. Wouldn't see anything like that here in California.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
If you went into the office to make a purchase and they weren't in the office, we were told to take what we wanted and leave the cash on the counter. Wouldn't see anything like that here in California.
Yeah, Piney Grove in Mississippi is like that. The park is unsupervised from I think Late October to Early February. So for several months the park is still open but strictly on the "honor system". You can go and stay as long as you like. Power is still on on all the sites so you just pick your site on a first come first serve basses. Upon leaving your trusted to leave 25$ per day that you stayed in a safety box at the unmanned check in station. Pretty cool.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #6

Its always hard for me to remember what sites are the best at whatever campground. Plus when spots are picked over and I'm looking for the best one for our setup it always good to have videos of the spots. I've completely documented evey single spot in both Piney Grove MS, and JP Coleman MS. I've put alot of them online to help others out that my be wanting something more that the few pictures the website has. Here is one I made from Piney Grove spot 47, the site we have booked for two weeks this summer. I really like this spot. Its not the best one there but its on up there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpig2342 View Post
Its always hard for me to remember what sites are the best at whatever campground. Plus when spots are picked over and I'm looking for the best one for our setup it always good to have videos of the spots. I've completely documented evey single spot in both Piney Grove MS, and JP Coleman MS. I've put alot of them online to help others out that my be wanting something more that the few pictures the website has. Here is one I made from Piney Grove spot 47, the site we have booked for two weeks this summer. I really like this spot. Its not the best one there but its on up there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwj...ew?usp=sharing
Hey Motorpig,

I've found this website useful in the past. They drive around each campground that they have visited and take pictures of each site. You can filter the data by state, region, public or private campgrounds, etc. They list the Google Map coordinates and give you general info about the campground. Check it out!

Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote