Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Hickory Knob State Park

Has anyone stayed at Hickory Knob State Park near McCormick, SC? If so what is there to do with kids around that area? Thanks
God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #2

Papa -- Dear husband and I have not camped there, but we have rented a cabin there while attending a family reunion. This was about six to seven years ago. At that time, the park had its own restaurant, pool, a large field to play soccer, softball, etc. Also, large floating docks on the lake to fish from. The duplex cabins were large, clean, and cozy. At that time, the food in the restaurant was just ok. The restaurant was feeding a large group of us at the same time, so I did not expect a gourmet meal.

A couple of miles down the road from all of the above is the Hickory Knob Campground. At that time, the roads into the campground were just dirt and gravel. The camp sites are set up in rows on a tier system. Because of the lay of the land from the main road down (and I mean down!) to the lake, the roads inside of the campground swing back and forth going down to the lake in order to provide access to somewhat level sites on each tier row. These treed sites looked small to me, and mostly popups and tent campers were camping. However, I note that most of our S.C. State Parks do list the length and width of the sites. That helps when trying to find a suitable site.

Later, we drove over to some Corps of Engineer sites on the lake. Those sites looked a lot more inviting, the lay of the land was better (not as steep to the lake) and better lake access.

Dee
2009 2509C

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

Papa -- I just remembered the name of the Corps of Engineers campground; it is Hawe Creek, just a short distance from Hickory Knob State Park. Of course, there are a lot more COE campgrounds around there, but this one was the nearest to the state park.

P.S. Are you and your bride going to the National Hi-Lo Rally near Seiverville, TN in June?

Dee
2009 2509C
Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #4

Default Hickory Knob

Dee,
Thanks for the reply. I really thought hard about going to the Nat. rally but cringe about the traffic in Pigdon Forge?? I know that sounds lame but we camped there last year and the traffic was very heavy. And I have to convince her to go. ha.
You mentioned Hawe Creek. We camped there one year on the first day they were opened. April the 1st as I remember. They had flushed (or tried to) their water system and it smelled and tasted like Clorox! Burned my mouth. But it was a beautiful campground.
We are headed to Hickory Knob next Wednesday. We have a daughter that lives in Greenwood and we're picking up three of her boys to take with us. We'll take them home on Saturday and then travel up to Twin Lakes COE campground outside of Clemson and meet two couples from Mt. Pleasant for our annual spring trip.
Maybe we'll catch up with the Summerville Hi Lo group at the national rally. Will just have to see.
God Bless
Papa
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #5

Papa -- Quite frankly, I think you and your bride and Beach and I own about the only Hi-Los in the state of SC. You had mentioned in the past that another existed in Berkeley County, but I believe it has been sold since then. So, our "group" is not very large. Ha!

You seem to have more first-hand knowledge of the Hawe Creek campground than I do. I was describing it based on a drive through Hawe Creek. Now, Beach and I have one granddaughter who we are able to find room for and camp with. How in the world are you going to camp with three boys in your Hi-Lo at Hickory Knob? Maybe use a tent or add-on room? I hate to say it, but I've found that Hi-Los are built mostly for couples.

Thanks for the information on Pigeon Forge. Beach is my GPS map fella. I thought he told me this national rally campground was not too far off the interstate. We, too, do not care for the heavy traffic. The photos of the campground looked nice though. We have never camped in Tennessee. Hope you get a chance to come.

The Twin Lakes COE at Clemson is pretty. Great place to camp during football games. Of course, we are prejudiced since Clemson is my husband's and my son's alma mater.

Dee
2009 2509C
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #6

Default Hickory Knob

dee,
Well we made it to Hickory Knob State Park and camped there for several days with three grandsons. Can't say it is a great place to camp. You may remember they have a golf course so it seems the most focus of the park is golf, not camping. The sites were not that great. We did make it on to Twin Lakes up near Clemson. Stayed with two couples from Mt. Pleasant that we normally camp with a couple of times a year. Twin Lakes is a Corp of Eng. campground. I've been impressed with COE campgrounds. Seems they have nicer sites and the discount is better than at state parks. We camped at Twin Lakes for $10 per night.
Also wanted to let you know the wife and I are coming to the Hi Lo Rally. She broke her femur back in Feburary and we didn't know if she would be up to the trip. But she is doing well and I've contacted the Ohio folks who have gotten us a site so I'm mailing in the registration. So if the creek don't rise and the good Lord will allow we'll plan on meeting our fellow Hi Lo'ers from Summerville.
Papa
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #7

Papa,

Did you get my pm?

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #8

Default Hickory Knob reply

Bob,
I did and tried to respond to your PM. It should be in your notifications (top right corner of your screen). I've mailed a check to Bruce along with the registration. Thank you so very much for allowing us to register late. My wife broke her leg in Feb and we did not know if she'd be healed enough to make the trip. We are looking foward to the rally.
Thanks again and God Bless
Papa
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

Default Hickory Knob Campground Review

Papa -- It is sad to hear that Hickory Knob Campground has not changed much since dear husband and I saw it last a good many years ago. It looks like that campground is the "red-headed stepchild" of the Hickory Knob State Park project. Everything else in that park was up to snuff. Can you imagine someone with a 30' or greater fifth wheel trying to get into one of those sites. I understand through the grapevine that Hickory Knob is one of the places that state employees have a lot of conferences; therefore, a lot of money is poured into the golf course.

We are elated that you and your bride will be attending the Hi-Lo National Rally in Tennessee and so glad that her femur is mending well. I know we will have a great time. This is the first time we have attended any camping rally. Looking forward to seeing ya'll!

Dee
2009 2509C
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
sam

Default Rally in Ten.

Dee, You will have the time of your life at the HiLo Rally. Not many guarantees in life. I guarantee you will have a blast and you won'[t want the fun to end. I have only been to two of them and wish I could go this year. Maybe next year. Doing well after my partial Thyroidectomy. One of the internal sutures is now on the outside. Another trip to the ENT. May 18th I am scheduled for left shoulder surgery. It will be so good to get the bursitus and maybe bone spur cleaned up. I had the right shoulder done last fall. The surgery isn't that bad and the best part is no more pain. I,m doing all these surgeries so I can be well when I am old lol.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #11

Default Prayers

Sam,
Sorry to hear about your health problems. Will miss meeting you at the rally. You and your upcoming surgery are in our thoughts and prayers.
God Bless
Papa
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
sam

Default Upcoming surgery

Papa,Thank for your kind words and prayers. They sure do help.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote