Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #1

Default Just back from the North Rim Grand canyon

spent 4 days at the north Rim of the grand canyon , in the campground right on the rim in the national park. I had reserved one of the few camp sites that were called premium sites and had a view of the canyon . very nice campground that even had a small store which was handy since the north Rim is a long way from anywhere. Wife and I took a hiking trail 2 miles from the campground along the rim to the North Rim lodge. took some great pictures I am sharing here along with one of the lodge , built in the 30s and is something to see. thats me on the edge making the wife very nervous , but she got the picture . The Grand Canyon is truly a very special place , that pictures just don't do justice to.
The trip home had some great scenery as well , the picture of the Hi-Lo on the road is from Navajo reservation. We then spent 3 days dispersed camping up near Flagstaff and had a great spot with no one around. The Hi-lo worked great as usual , wife and I love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0381.jpg (93.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0354.jpg (97.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0389.jpg (97.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0341.jpg (97.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0334.jpg (92.7 KB, 107 views)

455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #2

Default Question

Tom,
Great photos and I enjoyed reading about your trip to the Grand Canyon. Do have one question. You used the term "dispersed camping". I don't recall ever hearing that term before. Would you mind explaining that to me? Thanks and God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #3

Here is how Arizona explains the term

Dispersed Recreation Camping
Camping on public lands away from developed recreation facilities is referred to as "dispersed camping." Most of the remainder of public lands in Arizona are open to dispersed camping, as long as such use does not conflict with other authorized uses or occurs in areas posted "closed to camping," or in some way adversely affects wildlife species or natural resources

On the forum its called Boondocking or Dry camping ,
Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Tom,
Thanks for that explaination. Had never heard the term before. Here in the south we don't have any (to my knowledge) have any public lands that would allow you to camp just anywhere. Never to old to learn so I'm never too old to ask. Thanks again, I've learned something today.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #5

It looks great - I have been wanting to do that for some time now. one long day drive from SLC.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

Rolff
Your right the North Rim is a long way from anywhere , Thats why there is 1/4 the number of visitors as the south side. Even for me who lives in AZ it took 7 hours with just 2 short stops. Its 346 miles from Scottsdale and 380 from SLC . Keep it on your must do list , was well worth the drive.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Site Team

One other comment - the facilities on the North Rim get maxed out pretty easily. There is an excellent Forest Service campground Janet and I stayed at that's about 10 miles, as I remember, from the Park entrance. There's also other "dispersed" sites in the area.

- Jack
Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #8

Tom,
I had reservations several years ago but work ruined those plans. I hope next spring there are some nice places on BLM land near Zion NP - Rockville Ut that would be a good stopping point then on thru Kanab, Ut to the North Rim.
Ralph

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote