Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

Default Mammoth Cave

Anyone have recommendations of campgrounds near Mammoth Cave, Ky?
Thanks
God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
Anyone have recommendations of campgrounds near Mammoth Cave, Ky?
Thanks
God Bless
Papa
Hi PaPa, A friend recommended I tell you about Nolin Lake State Park just North of Mammoth Cave but, I see it is closed????
Try "Google" or Woodall's for area RV Parks or State and National Parks if you don't get any specific recommendations from others on the Forum.
GOD Bless you too! It is camping weather now!

Bubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

We were there last month, there is camping in the National Park there. We were disappointed in Mammoth Cave National Park, We planed on camping there but discovered that there was a lot of walking for everything. My wife can't do much walking, and my leg was acting up so I couldn't either, we got there early in the day, checked it out and decided to go on, which we did. I like caves but it just wasn't my day.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #4

Papa,

Did you go to Mammouth Cave? I have nine-year old twins and we're in Ohio heading south -Florida? for a two-week vacay after Christmas. Would that be a good place for us to visit?

Mary Kay
Mary Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #5

Mary Kay,
No we changed our plans. Sorry I can't help with that info.
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #6

My wife and I were in Mammoth Cave in October. We think it is fine for your twins if they are the adventurous type. There were plenty of kids on our tour. Most of them brought a small flashlight or a headband light.

We took the two hour Historic Tour. Very enjoyable but a little rugged in a few spots. A total of 440 steps, but not all at one time. The Ranger guides were fantastic.
5.7L V8 Hemi
Factory installed tow package
MStoneham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #7

Default Some more info

This is an old thread, but more info. Mammoth Cave is a great adventure. Great park. But as said Big.. Real Big Park. Been there several times. They offer several different tours of the cave. Some you walk and stand the whole way, others you get down and get dirty. Some 2 or 3 hour tours and some 1/2 day or more tours. I think it's a great place to take a kid. Stay and camp and enjoy the area. Bring bikes if you can, kayaks or canoes, great river. If you have kids and the Six-gun mountain park is still open, visit it, rides and western shows, great day trip then back to camping. If I remember right about 10 miles North of the Mammoth Cave exits. Also they just opened a Dollar store right next to the Park City exit. When I brought the kids there many years ago, not a lot of "value" priced places to get food at that time. Also golf and shooting range in the area.

Later Tim owner 1969 hilo

69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote