Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #1
sam

Default Our weekend camping trip

DH and I decided to attend a Hamfest/Antique radio swap meet in Rochester,NY. I made reservations at the nearest state park. Hamlin Beach state park for three nights. DH is restoring a floor model 1920s for a neighbor. I was out at my private campfire and it started to rain so I just got an umbrella and continued to read and enjoy the fire. Then it got dark so I used my LED headband light to read and stayed out for another hr. Saturday was 65 and sunny with a light wind. Our mapquest directions got us the 20 miles to our event without getting lost. DH enjoyed talking to some of the venders and he spent a whopping $3.00 on parts. Then our name was called to come and get the door prize. It was a 2meter spanking brand new ham radio. We told the man we didn't even do ham radio. "What are you doing here? DH restores antique radios. My cousin does ham radio and I thought he would want it. He already has plenty of equipment. So he looked up what we have and it sells for $365.00 on the Net. He is going to try and sell it to someone local. The HiLo performed very well with no problems. We came home a day early as some nasty rain storms were coming. The Radio dh is restoring is a Philco. We drove around all six loops of camping and didn't see any other HiLOS.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #2

That must be soooome 2 meter.

I and my wife are HAM, but only use it for my hang gliding retrieves. We use 2 meter exclusively.

Repairing old tube radios sounds interesting.
The marginal weather was more tolerable in the hi-lo, than in a tent any day. Been there and done that!!!

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Okay on winning the 2 meter rig. I have one sitting next to me right now. I have been a HAM since 1971.

My dad was a HAM, in fact I took over his call sign after he passed in 1997. Radio was his life passion, having experimented with and built radios when he was a kid. He started listening to radio stations when there were only a few in the country, including KDKA in Pittsburgh. He built and sold radios when they were still hard to find and expensive. I have one that he built in 1923 when he was 16 years old. The owner gave it to my mother. He went on eventually to start a radio and TV business. We had one of the first TVs in the area. I remember having a house full of kids watching Howdy Doody quite often.

I was his helper when repairing TVs, mainly helping to carry TVs to and from peoples houses. That's when they were all tube tye and weighed a ton. I also was the tube caddy caddy. When transistor radios got popular it was my job to work on them, they actually fixed them then rather than throw them away as is done now.

Good luck with the Philco project.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Not currently practicing but licensed, KG6ISP

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
sam

Default Weekend camping

Loved the Ham Radio replies/stories. Rich R your story sounds just like my cousin. His dad did ham Radio and he followed in his footsteps. My cousin talks to people via the ham all over the globe. Several times they have been able to help out in weather emergencies. DH gave me some particularies on our door prize. 2Meter 4.445 FM transceiver. Kenwood model I think DH is going to join the local AWA(antique wireless association). Correction 4.45 FM Anyway it is good for him to get back with his hobby now that he is retired. This week it has rained every day making it impossible to do the outdoor to do list. More hobby time for him. I had enought tent camping with my family and Girl Scouts. I bought the HiLo so I could be a"spoiled brat" and just open the door and go inside. My home on wheels.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote