Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #1

Default Pacific Beach, WA during Spring Break

My wife and I took our new 1993 22' classic Hi-Lo for our first camping trip over Spring Break at the beginning April. We have a 4yr old and 15yr old. We got there and set up camp at Pacific Beach, WA in the rain and some wind. However through the night we were pelted with very strong winds, heavy rain and hail. We had picked the site closest to the 100 ft cliff in front of the ocean. The camper rocked and rolled all night and the hail hitting the roof made a loud racket. Our Hi-Lo took it all in stride without a drip leaking in. The only problem we had was the condensate on the windows and the roof vents.

The heater worked like a champ and we all stayed nice and worm.

The next two days we had sun but cold weather. The heater worked good those nights and we stayed nice and cozy.

I was very happy that we had upgraded from our 1972 Apache hardsided trailer. My wife also loved the fact that the bathroom is contained in the unit.

My 4yr old slept through the night without even knowing what was going on outside.

Bruce Leach

1993 22' Classic
Ford Expedition

Bruce Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

I know it is hard to do when the weather is bad, but if you can keep a window and a roof vent cracked open to keep some ventilation going it will reduce the condensation. Even in cold weather when using the furnace it is a good idea to crack the vents a bit.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

Bruce,

Camping on top of a 100 ft overlook! WOW, I bet you had some magnificent views. Any good photos taken that you could post?

Congrats on having a successful maiden voyage with your new Hi-Lo!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

We too camped in the rain on the Oregon coast during spring break and woke up to condensation on the windows in the morning. We turned off the furnace while we slept, so in the morning we pushed up the shades, opened the windows a bit, and turned on the furnace, getting rid of the condensation.
Also, whenever our HiLo is in storage, we use "Dri-z-air" to eliminate the extra interior moisture (tip from our neighbor).
We're also considering buying from Camping World the Max Air vent covers, so we can have the vents open anytime we choose.
Carol
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #5

Carol (TrulyOregon)

If indeed you're considering the Max Air Vent covers you might want to check one of your local RV Centers first. We found that our local RV Center was a few dollars cheaper than Camping World on them. Just thought I'd mention it. Don't we all like to save a few dollars where we can.
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote