Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #21

Listen, how about you take Brenda and I along with and we'll do the driving and cook a little? We won't be a bother and we don't take up much space..... Shoot fire, we're not even going and I'm excited for you. Be sure to treat yourself to one of the pasties in the UP after you cross over in Sault Saint Marie. It is a meat pie of sorts that originated in Cornwall, England.

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #22
Site Team

I know about pasties too, Jim. They were popular in Grass Valley, California, where I was born among the Cornish miners that were there. A pasty is a great lunch to take down into the mine. My Mother learned how to make them and we had them many times.

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #23

A couple of small stowaways that will cook and drive sounds like just the ticket. When are you available?

Don
Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #24

Don, did I say "small?" Uh, maybe too much of Jack's pastie. Anyway, be sure to let us know how your trip goes.....
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #25

Default Starting Out

We are ready to roll. Bearings, brakes, and tire pressures are checked out. The trailer is hooked to the Suburban. We will put the top down when we switch the refrigerator over to propane tomorrow morning.

The plan is to leave about 0930 hrs to hit Atlanta after rush hour. Then up to Greensboro, NC for a quick one night stop.

We plan to blog the trip, but there was no time to start another blog for the RV. So, we will post it on the boat blog. A link to it was added at the bottom of the signature line. If it doesn't show as a link copy and paste into your browser. Give us a couple of days to start posting there. You can find it on the home page on the right hand side titled "2015 RV trip to Canada". Just click on it.

Of course, we will do some updates on this site. Wish us luck!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
We are ready to roll. Bearings, brakes, and tire pressures are checked out. The trailer is hooked to the Suburban. We will put the top down when we switch the refrigerator over to propane tomorrow morning.

The plan is to leave about 0930 hrs to hit Atlanta after rush hour. Then up to Greensboro, NC for a quick one night stop.

We plan to blog the trip, but there was no time to start another blog for the RV. So, we will post it on the boat blog. A link to it was added at the bottom of the signature line. If it doesn't show as a link copy and paste into your browser. Give us a couple of days to start posting there. You can find it on the home page on the right hand side titled "2015 RV trip to Canada". Just click on it.

Of course, we will do some updates on this site. Wish us luck!
Have a great trip but a question first: Are you planning on running the fridge on propane while towing the HiLo?
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #27

Yes, that is the plan.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #28

OK, my understanding is that due to the telescoping design of the HiLo, it will not vent properly when running on propane in the down position. I know there has been some discussion on this forum about that so maybe some others will chime in.

I checked out your blog- very cool! I'd like to start one myself but don't know anything about how to proceed so maybe you can advise me!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
OK, my understanding is that due to the telescoping design of the HiLo, it will not vent properly when running on propane in the down position. I know there has been some discussion on this forum about that so maybe some others will chime in.

I checked out your blog- very cool! I'd like to start one myself but don't know anything about how to proceed so maybe you can advise me!
Hey Gregg, there is nothing hard about starting a blog. Pick out a host, pick out a format, set up the pages, and away you go.

I use Wordpress.com for my host. No charge unless you do the advanced series. Google has one I think called Blogger, and there is another I think titled My Trip Blog.

The problem is that the host will sometimes change formatting, and some photos will not show. I have to go back and clean up some of that. If you want to see some more pictures click on the uncategorized link in the links at the top of the page. I don't know why some will show there, but not in the blog page. Just something else to do.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Yes, that is the plan.
Good luck with the refrig on propane while towing. I have driven all day without any type of power to the refrig (pleasant outside temps) and arrived at my destination with the frig still cold and freezer compartment items still frozen. When we did our Alaska/Canada trip I was running the frig off the battery and I always arrived at camp with a dead battery. Learned from the forum you can't do that, though that is the recommended procedure.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Hey Gregg, there is nothing hard about starting a blog. Pick out a host, pick out a format, set up the pages, and away you go.

I use Wordpress.com for my host. No charge unless you do the advanced series. Google has one I think called Blogger, and there is another I think titled My Trip Blog.

The problem is that the host will sometimes change formatting, and some photos will not show. I have to go back and clean up some of that. If you want to see some more pictures click on the uncategorized link in the links at the top of the page. I don't know why some will show there, but not in the blog page. Just something else to do.
Thanks and have a safe trip!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post

Greg, as long as you are moving, running on propane isn't a problem. It's when you stop and there is no airflow that you have a problem. One other thing, it's probably not the smartest thing to stop for gas while you have the propane going....just sayin'.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
Greg, as long as you are moving, running on propane isn't a problem. It's when you stop and there is no airflow that you have a problem. One other thing, it's probably not the smartest thing to stop for gas while you have the propane going....just sayin'.
Thanks for clarifying, Ruben!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #34

Default So Far So Good

We arrived at Greensboro Campground about 4:45pm. Good day on the road. The campground is good for an overnight stop. There is noise from I-40, the staff is accommodating, but it could use some freshening up. Great tiled showers. There was a big rain storm, but we turned on the A/C, and it covered all noises. Sleep was good. This was more of a pit stop. They put us in a level pull through. We didn't even unhook.

Then it was north on I-85 and across US 58 to VA Beach to First Landing State Park Campground. 2 nights here. Our friends Norm and Kathy brought dinner to the campground. Then we did some exploring, Norm is a retired Navy capt., so we had access to the bases. We are camped right up against the dune line at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. Here are some pictures of some sights not normally seen by visitors as they are on a restricted base.

The original Cape Henry light house is the second oldest in the U. S.

The monument commemorating the spot of the first landing of the original Jamestown settlers in 1607. The landing party erected a wooden cross near the spot.

The French Admiral de Grasse. De Grasse saved our *** in the Revolutionary War.

Those are all the pictures for today. We plan to do the Mariners Museum at Hampton tomorrow. The Monitor exhibit will be of special interest to me.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #35

We are moving right along. Mystic CT tonight heading for Freeport Maine and the LL Bean store tomorrow. We have been updating our blog on a new page for anyone interested.

https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com...logging-again/