Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Prince Gillitzin State Park, Pa

Had beautiful weather for the weekend in central PA!
My first trip boondocking went very well. I was very stingy with the power, not knowing how quickly the furnace would drain my single battery. Friday, I used the water pump for the toilet only, and did the dishes on Saturday after lunch. I didn't use any of the interior lights, I have a propane lantern and an electric lantern that lit up the trailer very well.
Friday night was about 40 degrees, I set the furnace to fifty five and curled up in a -35 degree sleeping bag. I think I should have used my lighter sleeping bag, I was roasting the whole night. Woke up to three bars still on the battery guage and charged on the van for an hour on Saturday morning. It picked it back up to four bars, but it did drop back to three toward the evening after using the water pump for the day.
I did bring a 1000 watt genset but wasn't sure if I could plug into the converter, or straight to the battery. After some research today, I learned that I can plug straight into the trailer.
Saturday night, my buddy woke up to use the toilet and turned on one of the bathroom lights while the furnace was running and it shut off immediately. I was kinda out of it and kept sleeping. I woke up about seven o'clock to a fifty degree trailer, flipped the switch on the thermostat off and back on and we were back in business.
The refrigerator works extremely well, it froze the milk on #5 while on propane. And I had enough water and waste tank storage. It does have a really small gray tank though, I'm guessing about 15 or 20 gallons. The black tank is twice the size and the freshwater is about three times the size.
I did get to meet another HiLo camper, he was from Roaring Springs and had an 88, I think it was a 22' with a cool blue paint job. Nice to finally see another out and about.
Anyway, I had a blast and do believe that I'll be doing alot more boondocking in the near future, I heard from another camper that Tionesta is open all year round and it's free from Nov. to April....Yee Haw!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00020.jpg (97.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00012.jpg (99.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00029.jpg (89.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0326.jpg (97.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00025.jpg (99.6 KB, 42 views)
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote