Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Default Say a little prayer for grandchildren and grandparents!

Going by Abilene tomorrow to pick up our two grandchildren. We are then going to the KOA in Arlington, TX. That will allow us to head to Six Flags Over Texas on Wednesday and to the Dallas Aquarium on Thursday. GG and Gappy have been resting up and taking our Geritol to get ready! Let the fun begin...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3022.jpg (97.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3023.jpg (96.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3024.jpg (97.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3025.jpg (92.3 KB, 49 views)

byrdmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #2

Amen! Have a great time building those memories with the grandkids!

Thanks for the photos. How do you like the CIPA towing mirrors?

Safe travels,

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #3

Default First trip with them!

I will post concerning them when I get home. I can certainly see a lot more behind just sitting. Hope they do the job.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Looks like you're ready to roll. Have fun!

I'm sure you will like the mirrors. I use the same ones on my F150 and think they are the perfect solution without replacing the OEM mirrors.

In case you missed my other post, I adjust the OEM mirrors to see as far forward (abeam of me) as possible, then adjust the CIPA mirrors to see around behind the trailer as much as possible. I actually have better rear/blindspot visibility out the sides when towing than I do without them when I'm not towing.

- Jack
Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

Default Don't Want Any Surprises!

No Sir officer,
I really didn't realize that you had been right behind me for the last 15 miles with your red flashing lights on!
I have made several trips where I kind of swerve a little to see what is directly behind me, but that does give the appearance of a DUI! It appears that these will do the trick............Jack do you have any problem keeping them
tight enough?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Site Team

No, I don't. Just make sure they're fully slipped onto the OEM mirrors and then turn the thumb screw all the way in. If they're not on right, the screw will stop early and will stick out more than normal. It will also push the CIPA mirror away from the housing of the OEM mirror. The way the inside part of the locking mechanism grips the vehicle side of the OEM mirror, there's no way the towing mirrors can come off if the screw is fully engaged in it (into the circular "hole" in the locks). Those inside locks will not be sticking out of the end of the CIPA mirrors if they are fully on to the OEM mirrors.

I THINK I'm making some sort of sense here.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

Default Wonderful trip and safe and sound

No problem whatsoever with truck or camper (Thank you Lord). Although this is not my idea of camping, it was a wonderful experience for the two grandchildren. My granddaughter asked if we could stay for five more days. I would highly recommend the Arlington Metro KOA. Swimming pool, playground, a few trees, grills, etc. These folks know how to run a campground. It was impeccable service and immaculate restrooms/showers etc. All the sights and attractions are in easy driving distance with straight-shot drives.
Concerning the CIPAs. Mixed review. Being a short person, I move my seat up fairly close to the steering wheel. I believe this may put me out of the line of vision that can be reached on these mirrors. I found my self moving back to see the "behind" of the trailer. I will continue to work with that. We will be leaving to stay at The Last Resort just south of Pagosa Springs in the early part of July.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0826.jpg (96.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0831.jpg (97.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (96.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0833.jpg (106.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0835.jpg (90.9 KB, 24 views)
2006 King Ranch Ford F150
5.4 V-8
Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Does your King Ranch have the foot pedal adjustment like mine does? If so, you might be able to move them toward you enough that you could move your seat back a bit.

I've honestly never adjusted mine, but I know the capability is there. I'm 5' 11'', so I need a bit of room in the driving area.

- Jack
Old 06-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #9

Glad to hear your trip went well - looks like you and the grandkids had a great time!

Good point on moving the seat back. I tend to sit up close to the wheel also so I'll try moving back a bit next time I tow. I have the adjustable pedals in the Tahoe, as Jack mentioned, so that will help.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

You should keep 10" between you and the steering wheel because of the air bag and possible injury from it. That's not always easy to do.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #11

Default Thanks for the direction!

Yes, I have the adjustable pedal; 10 inches from the steering wheel? Oh my! I have to loose some belly, gain some leg, and count on Ford to get the pedal to me. Lots of variables just to see what is behind, but needs to happen. Thanks for the suggestions and I will try all.
2006 King Ranch Ford F150
5.4 V-8
Old 06-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
Site Team

I've honestly never measured my distance from the steering wheel. I remember reading (a long time ago) that race car drivers used a distance that gave them only a slight bend to the elbow at the top of the wheel. I've found that distance gives me good control and comfort. I think it is somewhat more than 10". (More like two feet +.)

Surely, 10" is a minimum! The distance from my wrist to my elbow is at least 15".

- Jack