Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I wish I could remember what trail we were on, and it was strenuous, but we went down as far as the mules went before they turned around and went back up. If we had gone farther down, we would have been hugging the cliff walls on a good portion of the trail.
Yup! That's the North Kaibab trail! I think you went as far as the falls, but I could be wrong. I've seen pictures of the part of the trail you describe. It's a knife-edge drop on one side and a straight up cliff face on the other. It's not a place I'd like to find myself at night. I think there've been a few deaths from falling there.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Yup! That's the North Kaibab trail! I think you went as far as the falls, but I could be wrong. I've seen pictures of the part of the trail you describe. It's a knife-edge drop on one side and a straight up cliff face on the other. It's not a place I'd like to find myself at night. I think there've been a few deaths from falling there.

- Jack
Jack, I don't recall seeing any falls on the hike, but our turn around point had drinking water available. At the time Linda was diagnosed with Lupus which moved through out her body joints and muscles and on the way out of the canyon I was literally pushing her up the steps of the canyon. She was sore for several days after that hike.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #23

Jack, thanks for posting. Great photos and good info. I, too, like the North Rim best. Cooler, shadier, and far less crowded. It is on the calendar for 2016 the Good Lord willing.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #24

Ditto- wonderful photos and narrative, Jack! We have been talking about making a trip to North Rim either this year or next so your info was most helpful!

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote