Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Default Winter escape

So we got out first snow the other night and sub-freezing temps. When I did my fall storeage thing I organized everything for a quick grab-and-go. The thought of another winter already has me in a funk so I have been dreaming of doing the "snow-bird" thing and heading out for 4 wks or so in February/early March. Would like to get to South West TEXAS where my property is via my wife's brother in Louisiana - then running the coast for awhile before heading into the Hill country and over to FORT DAVIS, TX. Never done this. Question and advice needed for how difficult is it to find places to stay down there in the winter-----and can I find decent state parks without reservations or relatively not-too-expensive private campgrounds(?). I assume folks with the big rigs have their favorites already picked out. Anyway- anybody with experience/ideas I'd love to hear about them. I would plan on running due south for two or three nights and stay in motels until I found a warm enough spot to flush the lines . It'll be me, the wife,the dog and, of course. our HI-LO. Thanks

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #2

Check for state parks that take the NPS Senior Pass to save some $$. I think I read that Louisiana is one of the states that take them. U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful ? The National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass Series

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

We camped 11 wks. last winter in Texas with no reservations at all. We were cautioned about sites being full for spring break when more people start to camp, but it never became an issue for us. You may not get some sites for a week or two at a time because a lot of people do make reservations.
Getting ready now for our second annual winter vacation.
allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Thanks. Had a friend tell me something similar but I may make a couple of reservations just the same. Looks like I would have lots of time to cancel. What time of the year did you go? When I get to Fort Davis area I will have somewhere to stay. It's jetting there that will be the adventure. Thinking of headed south through Mississippi on the Naches trace then cut over across Louisianna and down to Corpus Cristi then up to hill country and over.

Rick

4x4
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Last year we left home Dec. 20th during a freezing rain storm. This year I hope to avoid those weather conditions by getting started a couple of weeks sooner.
I would like to sell our home and live on the road for a couple of years but the better half has no interest in that.
allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

Rick, where are you in Wisconsin? I was born and raised in Rice Lake, still have the makers in Chetek. They're 88 and 84 and wouldn't think about moving to Memphis with Brenda and I.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #7

Jim

We are in Madison. Born and raised around Chicago but I've been up here since 78'. Its a hard place to live if you are a Chicago Bears fan.

I doubt we would ever move, ourselves. But, last Winter did me in so I'm going to take the plunge this year and try to hit the road for a month or so. We just havent ever tried packing up and traveling with the trailer for that amount of time.....so I;m not sure how the RVr life will work out. But- we are about to find out, I hope. I usually dont worry about stuff like cell phone reception or computer access but I guess it is stuff I will have to start paying attention to. Shoud be interesting.

4x4
Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #8

Not to alarm all y'all Yankees, but it's not been exactly warm down south lately. Our last two mornings were in the 30's. Other than running for the mail I've stayed inside.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #9

Rick, Brenda and I have stayed at the Bayou Segnette State RV park on the West Bank (south New Orleans) Westwego, Louisiana many times. They do honor the Golden Pass card and it is a very nice facility, very modern and exceptionally large spaces. Great access to the city of fine eats.
By the way, I went to school at UW and the city has changed considerably. We still get to the stadium for an occasional football game, but the only thing that's about the same is State Street and loud obnoxious students.....can you imagine?
Too darned cold for us. Now, about you being a Bears fan.....
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #10

Rick, I don't know if you are going anywhere near New Orleans. There is a park near Abbeville, LA which has been highly recommended by some Canadians I blog with. DH and I will camp there the first chance we get when we head toward New Orleans. The name is Betty's RV Park in the heart of Cajun country. It is a small 17 space park with full hookups, fast WIFI, and lots of friendly people. However, it is an adults only park. You would be two and one-half hours from New Orleans. However, there is a shuttle service to and from New Orleans for a reasonable fee. Parking is so horrible and expensive in New Orleans that it probably is more convenient to use the pickup and drop off shuttle service. The park's address is 2118 South State Street, Abbeville, LA 70510, phone 337-893-7057. You will probably gain at least five pounds while you are there. My Canadian bloggers said they ate at a place named Suire's Grocery and Cafe (recommended by Betty) which served true and authentic Cajun food. They said it was so good that they had Suire's whip up some more of the food to take back to their RV for freezing. But they said the clientele is straight out of Duck Dynasty! (LOL!). Betty has a website; just Google Betty's RV Park and look for the Abbeville address. She's popular, so you might have to make a reservation, if interested.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #11

Smile

Thanks for the advice everyone. I do appreciate it. Jim- state street DOES stay consistent in many ways. They spruced up the stadium some. Polar vortex returns NEXT week.

4x4