Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Default Yosemite!

OK, we recently returned from a glorious trip to Yosemite National Park. We drove up the east side of the Sierras from the San Bernardino area. Once we got past Edwards AFB and the China Lake Naval Weapons Center, the scenery improved markedly.

We entered Yosemite at the east entrance which involved driving up over Tioga Pass at a bit above 10,000 ft. The first picture shows us stopped for an *ahem* "rest break" at Tuolumine Meadows near the high point of the pass. The road was VERY steep up and over this pass!

The second picture is our trailer camped at Hodgon Meadow, which is just inside the Northwest entrance to the Park. Pretty roomy, comfortable campsites there.

We did quite a bit of hiking while we were there. This is my favorite of the waterfalls that were flowing, Vernal Fall on the Merced River. To reach it, and the base of the Nevada Fall which is further beyond, you have a 4.5 mile round trip, and you climb about 1600 feet! The third picture is about halfway up the trail beside the 317 foot Vernal Fall, where you see the real beauty of it I think. (By this time though, you just wish the climb would stop.)

The fourth picture is Half Dome at sunset from Glacier Point. We took a "box supper" with us and had a nice dinner watching it happen. We'd done another hike to the top of Sentinel Dome before this, so we were hungry!

On the way back out over Tioga Pass, we drove by Tenaya Lake, which is shortly before reaching Toulumine Meadows again. This was a true "Kodak Moment"!

I highly recommend the visit. It truly is one of the GREAT parks in the Nation!

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuolumne Meadows Rest Stop.jpg (96.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Camped at Hodgdon Meadow.jpg (99.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Vernal Fall.jpg (99.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Half Dome at Sunset From Glacier Point.jpg (92.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Tenaya Lake Near Toulumine Meadows.jpg (97.2 KB, 77 views)

Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #2

Default Paradise..

Great scenery; I'm sure that you enjoyed it.

sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch
Default Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhonkmon View Post
Great scenery; I'm sure that you enjoyed it.
I can't wait to get out there, coming from PA it may take a little while, nice pics!
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #4

Default memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
OK, we recently returned from a glorious trip to Yosemite National Park. We drove up the east side of the Sierras from the San Bernardino area. Once we got past Edwards AFB and the China Lake Naval Weapons Center, the scenery improved markedly.

We entered Yosemite at the east entrance which involved driving up over Tioga Pass at a bit above 10,000 ft. The first picture shows us stopped for an *ahem* "rest break" at Tuolumine Meadows near the high point of the pass. The road was VERY steep up and over this pass!

The second picture is our trailer camped at Hodgon Meadow, which is just inside the Northwest entrance to the Park. Pretty roomy, comfortable campsites there.

We did quite a bit of hiking while we were there. This is my favorite of the waterfalls that were flowing, Vernal Fall on the Merced River. To reach it, and the base of the Nevada Fall which is further beyond, you have a 4.5 mile round trip, and you climb about 1600 feet! The third picture is about halfway up the trail beside the 317 foot Vernal Fall, where you see the real beauty of it I think. (By this time though, you just wish the climb would stop.)

The fourth picture is Half Dome at sunset from Glacier Point. We took a "box supper" with us and had a nice dinner watching it happen. We'd done another hike to the top of Sentinel Dome before this, so we were hungry!

On the way back out over Tioga Pass, we drove by Tenaya Lake, which is shortly before reaching Toulumine Meadows again. This was a true "Kodak Moment"!

I highly recommend the visit. It truly is one of the GREAT parks in the Nation!

- Jack
Great park!!! I've spent many of my teenage-years camping at Yosemite. Don't pass this one up!
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #5

OMG! We were probably there the same time you were last week, only we camped in North Pines! We also entered the park through Tioga Pass, topped at Tuolumine, and took almost exactly the same picture of Vernal Falls.

A very pleasant surprise was the weather that week... early prediction was in the mid 60's, but Ma Nature pulled a fast one and gave us perfect high 80's. Not bad for 4,000 ft in late September.

Hi-Lo trailers should have locator beacons for other Hi-Lo trailers!

We left Yosemite through Wawona, on our way to King's Canyon NP, and were thrilled by the view of Yosemite Valley from Inspiration Point. Great trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camp-Curry.jpg (40.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg North-Pines.jpg (30.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Vernal-Falls-top.jpg (49.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Vernal-Falls-pool.jpg (38.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Yosemite-Valley.jpg (16.2 KB, 29 views)
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
OMG! We were probably there the same time you were last week, only we camped in North Pines! We also entered the park through Tioga Pass, topped at Tuolumine, and took almost exactly the same picture of Vernal Falls.

A very pleasant surprise was the weather that week... early prediction was in the mid 60's, but Ma Nature pulled a fast one and gave us perfect high 80's. Not bad for 4,000 ft in late September.

Hi-Lo trailers should have locator beacons for other Hi-Lo trailers!

We left Yosemite through Wawona, on our way to King's Canyon NP, and were thrilled by the view of Yosemite Valley from Inspiration Point. Great trip!
That's a hoot! I thought at first we possibly saw your trailer parked outside the "store" in the Curry Village area. Janet and I actually walked back to it to see if the "owners" were around, but didn't find anyone. This was the day we "took it easy" with a walk to Mirror Lake and another to Sentinel Dome, before the sunset at Glacier Point.

But, the Hi-Lo we saw was being towed by a Ford Expy, and I think it was a new, 19 ft model.

So, I guess there were "THREE" of us! (Which reminds me of a joke about Scotsmen.)

Yup - we need locator beacons!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

Bigger hoot! You came up from San Bernardino... we left Yosemite, camped the night in King's Canyon N.P., saw Grant and Sherman, then drove to San Bernardino/Riverside to see my son just back from Afghanistan! Finally returned home on Monday.

Jim

2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote