Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #1

Default Rebuilt bed platform & new mattress

Well, finally finished rebuilding the bed platform and installed the new mattress on our new to us 27T. Bought a new RV short queen Parklane mattress, and boy is it comfortable. Almost forgot to mention the new heated mattress pad A couple of pictures.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1aff3039.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...psd4800110.jpg

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Well, finally finished rebuilding the bed platform and installed the new mattress on our new to us 27T. Bought a new RV short queen Parklane mattress, and boy is it comfortable. Almost forgot to mention the new heated mattress pad A couple of pictures.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1aff3039.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...psd4800110.jpg
Moonstruck, In what way did you rebuild the bed platform?...reinforcement?

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Moonstruck, In what way did you rebuild the bed platform?...reinforcement?
I'm not certain the platform in the trailer was even the stock arrangement. It had an inner spring mattress that looked like stock, but it was totally unsatisfactory. Also, when towing from Ocala to Tennessee the mattress was moving around all out of place.

I used nominal 3/4" plywood to build the platform. Duct tape was used on all joints and screw heads to keep from snagging the mattress. After cutting and radiusing the corners duct tape was used around the edges to give a better edge. I ordered a 16" adjustable retainer bar from an adjustable bed place. This keeps it from sliding forward off the platform. I then basically covered the platform with some rubber matting that should hold the mattress in place.

http://www.adjustablebedmart.com/retainerbars.html

Of course fitted bedding for an RV short queen is not stock. So we ordered a couple of sets of 600 count sheets and a duvet cover and shams. Picked up a couple of lamps. We will probably re-wall paper later. We are doing a few more mods along the way.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm not certain the platform in the trailer was even the stock arrangement. It had an inner spring mattress that looked like stock, but it was totally unsatisfactory. Also, when towing from Ocala to Tennessee the mattress was moving around all out of place.

I used nominal 3/4" plywood to build the platform. Duct tape was used on all joints and screw heads to keep from snagging the mattress. After cutting and radiusing the corners duct tape was used around the edges to give a better edge. I ordered a 16" adjustable retainer bar from an adjustable bed place. This keeps it from sliding forward off the platform. I then basically covered the platform with some rubber matting that should hold the mattress in place.

AdjustableBedMart.com

Of course fitted bedding for an RV short queen is not stock. So we ordered a couple of sets of 600 count sheets and a duvet cover and shams. Picked up a couple of lamps. We will probably re-wall paper later. We are doing a few more mods along the way.
We also have a 27T with the walk around bed and I guess our mattress is not stock as we did a 3000 mile trip in September which included some very bad roads, but we did not have any problems with the mattress moving around.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
We also have a 27T with the walk around bed and I guess our mattress is not stock as we did a 3000 mile trip in September which included some very bad roads, but we did not have any problems with the mattress moving around.
I do not believe that the platform setup in ours was original. If you will pardon my French, it was a POS. I figured there was no way to put the pieces together, so totally rebuilt the supports and platform. Hopefully it will stay in place.

Did you post pictures of your 3,000 mile trip?

Don
Old 01-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
I do not believe that the platform setup in ours was original. If you will pardon my French, it was a POS. I figured there was no way to put the pieces together, so totally rebuilt the supports and platform. Hopefully it will stay in place.

Did you post pictures of your 3,000 mile trip?

Don
Hi Don,
I thought I had posted more pictures of our trip but I could only find five posted, which was on October 24 on the thread "Visited My Hilo". On the same date?? I posted a recap of the trip.

1999 21T Tow Lite