Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 09-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

Default Sofa Bed Extension

I've been a HiLo owner (2307C) for a couple of years. This one has a sofa across the front that opens to a bed. The way the bed is oriented (long dimension across the trailer) if the wife or I get out of bed (at our age at least once a night each), the inside one has to crawl over the other. So, I ended up sleeping on the dinette bed. (Notice who had to move.) But that kills our plans to be able to have our small grandchildren along on trips.
So I have been looking at how I extend the width of the bed so that the wife and I can sleep across the width. We're both around 5'-6", so it should only take about 10".
Before I re-discover the wheel, I wondered if someone else has solved this problem already.
Darryl

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #2

I made a fold down extension for our couch so it would be a comfortable flat bed for a adult couple. We us a blow-up queen aerobed and it works great. I stow the extension in the pick-up bed when not needed. Takes 5 minuets to setup and takedown. With your couch folded down decide if you have room for a double or queen blow-up. The extension I made is a 2x10 with hinged 2x10 legs at each end to support the extra width. In your case the extra length. The height of the extension would be so it is level with the folded down couch. We leave all the bedding on the blow-up when we remove in the morning and fold or roll up with the mattress after letting the air out. If you have any other questions, just ask.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Jim L - how about a picture? The previous owner of our had (I think) use a wider piece of particle board to make the bed wider. I had considered doing something similar but we ended up just using both beds. No kids or grandkids.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The sofas were not all constructed the same way depending on year. My 95 has a pull out ply wood extension and loose cushions but my 2209 has a sofa with a back cushion mounted on steel arms that swings forward and down to the front to make a bed. Jim's is probably the same. We also use both beds, no kids. Crawling over one or the other at night is not an option. But could use the bunk bed if needed.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

PopRichie - my '95 has a notch so that it extends past the brace near the door- all the way to the side of the fridge. Was that stock???? or a mod from someone. After a few bumpy trips down dirt roads I ended up rebuilding the bed and booth using angle braces and composite 1 x 2s as supports.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

My 95 is not like that so I would say it was a mode by the previous owner. When I slide mine out it is restricted by a strip of cushion material stapled to it and the non movable part, that stops it where the bottom and back cushions just cover it. When pushed in the legs are very close to the bottom doors.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

Mine has a piece that slides out and drops to a shelf that sits on top of the front frame. underneath are two flat pieces that lift out to gain access to the pump, waterheater and furnace. It's at the lake now - I'll get some pictures. They had also added doors to the storage under the booth. I added an extra shelf at the end where we keep the frequently used stuff. Wash and dish cloths, snacks, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Booth door open.jpg (91.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Storage shelf.jpg (91.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Storage shelf curtain.jpg (90.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
Jim L - how about a picture? The previous owner of our had (I think) use a wider piece of particle board to make the bed wider. I had considered doing something similar but we ended up just using both beds. No kids or grandkids.
The width of the board will depend on how much of the blowup mattress is hanging off of the couch bed. As for a picture I am leaving for Tucson AZ and will be back in a week. May need some help getting a pic on here. I have another mod I need to get on here.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote