Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Interior Bedding, seating, storage and more

Old 02-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Default The Time Machine gets some new interior..

Hi everybody!

Amy and I have just about completed a new interior for our 84 funlite.

First thing we did was to get rid of the brown 80's shag carpet that someone added a very long time ago. It was pretty much flattened out and had a little bit of a funky smell. It had to go. After about an hour or so we were both excited to find the original armstrong floor in great condition underneath! The lighter color of the original floor really brightened up the inside.

As Sam had recommended in my other thread, we shot over to good ol home depot to grab some floor shine and a couple new throw rugs. After 3 coats of shine, the floors look incredibly new. We also found a couple nice looking rugs that I feel match perfectly with the interior and give a nice plush look. Thanks Sam!

Next thing was to replace the nasty old curtains that were also added a long time ago. Im guessing around the same time as the brown shag carpet. They were flower print and very faded out. They made some nice garage rags though..

Amy brought home some nice dark brown fabric and went to work on the curtains. After all the curtains were cut, sewn and stiched up we went ahead and hung em up..what a difference! Amy really did a nice job on those.
Luckily, the original bamboo curtain valances were still present and in nice shape for their age. I think they look cool and most importantly they match the roman shades for the bathroom so those stayed.

With the floors cleaned up, and the new curtains finished, we deceided it was time to re do the cushions. The rust colored fabric was pretty faded and the foam was a bit crunchy. When I folded the twin sofas into a bed I also realized the foam inside of the cushions flattened out quickly and I could feel the wood platform underneath.

After some very high upholstry estimates, some as much as $1000. I found a place local that agreed to do the job for $600. Nice guy, very knowledgable and they have been in the same location for 30 years. Sooo instead of going with the original rust color fabric, we decieded to change it up a bit. Amy and I agreed on a nice mocha brown color fabric to match the curtians. All new foam, two top half and two bottom half cushions for the twin sofas. Buttons were installed for a clean look and to match the originals. Also included was a two sided big piece of material and matching trim pieces for the edges of roman shades for the bathroom.

Since the roman shades are 30 years old and most definitely irreplaceable, we decided it would be better if we handled the removal and install of the 4 trim edge pieces. I carefully removed the old rust colored fabric edging, the sliding curtian edge pieces had been glued very well and was the most work. I was able to complete the task without any harm to the shades. Then, Amy once again broke out the sewing machine, we carefully stitched on the new mocha brown edging. It looks very original and we are very happy with the finished product. Here are some before and after pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (90.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (83.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg before...jpg (72.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg After.. (Medium).jpg (75.4 KB, 56 views)

Old 02-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #2

More after pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interior2.jpg (75.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg interior2 (1).jpg (84.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg interior2 (2).jpg (71.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg interior2 (3).jpg (71.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg interior2 (4).jpg (80.6 KB, 46 views)

Old 02-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

So thats where we are at at this point. Future plans are to possibly double side the curtains and make curtain tie backs. Also maybe ad some mocha brown fabric trim on the ends of the bamboo valances to match the bathroom roman shades. Since we went with all new cushions, we saved the old rust colored cushions to sell, trade or donate to someone with a similar set up needing original cushions. If anyone is local and has a similar year and can use these, feel free to contact me to set something up.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Looking really good! Is the paneling in your trailer real wood or is it the vinyl covered junk that's in mine? I enjoy the grain in your paneling a lot.

- Jack
Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Looking really good! Is the paneling in your trailer real wood or is it the vinyl covered junk that's in mine? I enjoy the grain in your paneling a lot.

- Jack
Hi Jack, thanks! The paneling is 100% the real deal.. I am also very fond of the grain myself.

Mike
Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
sam

Default Interior upgrades

I also love the wood in your HiLo time machine. Nice job on the interior upgrades. If your cushions made into a bed are a bit uncomfortable you can add a mattress topper. Some where in the back posts you will find a discussion about things that have been added to make sleeping more comfortable. You just don't find wow interiors in new RVS. Love the throw rugs and helping you spend your $.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Lo Time machine View Post
Hi Jack, thanks! The paneling is 100% the real deal.. I am also very fond of the grain myself.

Mike
Great job Mike.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #8

Awesome, Mike! Can I borrow your wife and her sewing machine?
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Mike, be VERY careful how you answer that question, lol! But thanks for the compliment Luckdog671!
SoCalAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #10

Looks great! Can I ask where and what type of foam you used for the cushions? I'm going to be redoing the bed in ours this spring.
guitarman023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
sam

Default New foam for cushions

Any local upholstery shop should be able to advise you on the best new cushion foam to use. Upholstery shops have a special machine to get the foam into the casing. Try a few shops as the price can very.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #12

The trailer is looking great Mike!. You really got a gem when you purchased that one. I have done so much to mine and still have some more to go. Restoring a Hi Lo is a job that leads to adventure! Looking forward to seeing some pics from those adventures!
misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Any local upholstery shop should be able to advise you on the best new cushion foam to use. Upholstery shops have a special machine to get the foam into the casing. Try a few shops as the price can very.
True, it's something I'm wanting to do myself, as it will be a custom size and shape, and I'm thinking about doing a memory foam for the queen bed in mine
Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I also love the wood in your HiLo time machine. Nice job on the interior upgrades. If your cushions made into a bed are a bit uncomfortable you can add a mattress topper. Some where in the back posts you will find a discussion about things that have been added to make sleeping more comfortable. You just don't find wow interiors in new RVS. Love the throw rugs and helping you spend your $.
Thank you Sam! it has been a lot of fun having this project that Amy and I can work on together. Happy to say, Amy has just wipped up another custom creation..a nice matteres topper with custom made mocha brown fitted sheet to cover it. The cushions are a bit on the firm side, so it definitely makes it extra comfortable
Old 02-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Great job Mike.
Thanks Garry!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
hahahaha
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman023 View Post
Looks great! Can I ask where and what type of foam you used for the cushions? I'm going to be redoing the bed in ours this spring.
guitarman023,

The foam Amy and I chose was a bit on the firm side, witch is the exact opposite of what we originally had. We both are happy with our choice but everyone is different. I think it may be called high density.
As Sam had stated in her last post, the upholstery shop "should" be able to advise you on the best new cushion foam to use. If you're going to be doing the work yourself, an upholstery suppy warehouse may have an idea of what is popular for campers.
In the end, I guess its best to just try out different pieces intill you find your match.
I do think the memory foam idea sounds great though!
Also I want to say, I really enjoyed reading your build thread for your 69 Bon Voyage. You did a great job. Im sure it has inspired many others to do the work yourself as it did me.
That is my favorite thread
Old 02-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
The trailer is looking great Mike!. You really got a gem when you purchased that one. I have done so much to mine and still have some more to go. Restoring a Hi Lo is a job that leads to adventure! Looking forward to seeing some pics from those adventures!
Jon, thanks again so much for sending us the cover. It will be getting the treatment soon. You're spot on when you say "restoring a Hi Lo is a job that leads to adventure". Thats quote worthy right there! Maybe even a bumper sticker! Were still cooking up new ideas and having fun working on it. Also I now have some new pics from the Time machines' "test run" to post up..
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #19
sam

Default Getting foam for cushions

I would think an upholstery shop would sell you the foam for replacement cushions. Then you could fabricate covers for them.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Lo Time machine View Post
guitarman023,

The foam Amy and I chose was a bit on the firm side, witch is the exact opposite of what we originally had. We both are happy with our choice but everyone is different. I think it may be called high density.
As Sam had stated in her last post, the upholstery shop "should" be able to advise you on the best new cushion foam to use. If you're going to be doing the work yourself, an upholstery suppy warehouse may have an idea of what is popular for campers.
In the end, I guess its best to just try out different pieces intill you find your match.
I do think the memory foam idea sounds great though!
Also I want to say, I really enjoyed reading your build thread for your 69 Bon Voyage. You did a great job. Im sure it has inspired many others to do the work yourself as it did me.
That is my favorite thread
Thanks! Most of the exterior work is done, still got some aluminum trim to polish and the plastic trim on the corners to replace, and then it's all just interior work. Still working on what I want to do for the mattress and what type of flooring I want to do. But it's getting there.