Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Routine Maintenance & Service | Winterizing Required and suggested maintenance, storage and winterizing topics.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #1

Default Tires on or off for storage

Another newebie question. Do you recommend storing the trailer over the winter with the tires on or off?? It's parked on sand/gravel surface. If off, do you just place the jack stands on the frame in front of and behind but close to the axles? This seems to be inherently unstable to me as spacing the jack stands further out from the center would be more stable TY in advance for suggestions!! D

G Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
Site Team

G Dale, I've never had to winterize any of my Ho Los as I live in Florida, I didn't need to. However, this year "the Treehouse" will be living in NC.
I had the same question. Best answer I got was this:
Lower tongue all the way, place GOOD jackstands on the frame behind rear axle.
Raise tongue up till you can put GOOD jackstands on the frame in front of the front axle.
Lower tongue to put weight on front stands, close to level, but do not take all the weight off tongue.
Then use stabilizers as normal.
Sounds good to me. I've never done this myself, so...
Treeclimber

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #3

I saw that when I ran a search but it didn't say if they left the tires on or off. BUT it WOULD get them off of the ground either way and I suppose they could be left on and covered to block the UV--lots of that here in CO TY again!!
G Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

G, mine are on with covers, but it's the same as in FL. My only concern is tire theft. But neighbors says not a problem. My cameras would catch them anyway, thus the po-po also.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
sam

Default winter storage

1990 25ft. Classic. We park our RV on a gravel driveway. The stabilizers are down. Then we cover it up with a genuine RV sunbrella cover. Our tire covers are on. Any areas that might rip the cover are covered with buble wrap and blue painters tape. In the spring and before each trip the tires are checked for proper tire inflation. No need for jack stands in the cold frozen Niagara Falls,NY.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #6

Tires, no matter how well you take care of them, will need to be replaced every few years. I think its about 6, give or take...
Its not a safety paranoid issue, the tires will rip apart when driving when they get old.
Modern tires are made to be parked too, so I doubt you have issues bc it sat a few months. Unless it is to be parked for years at a time I would not bother. (it wont hurt to un-weight them though)
Sun, however, is a different story. Keep them covered if you want to protect them.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #7

I would be concerned with putting stresses on the frame by supporting it with jacks. It is designed to support the trailer's weight with tires on the ground. I recommend parking with the tires on boards to stay off of ground moisture and inflate them to the maximum pressure marked on sidewalls.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

x2 what Rich said!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #9

I have stored my 1969 Funchaser when not in use on jack stands as described with tires uncovered for years with no apparent damage to frame or tires. I must say however that my camping trips have mostly been short runs, maybe 600 miles at most. Although treads were still good I did buy new tires after 10 years just to be on be sure of not have to change a change a flat on the highway.
Salangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I would be concerned with putting stresses on the frame by supporting it with jacks. It is designed to support the trailer's weight with tires on the ground. I recommend parking with the tires on boards to stay off of ground moisture and inflate them to the maximum pressure marked on sidewalls.
It's a steel frame. It will bend a little but no harm. Nothing like the stresses from going down the road.

when i roll mine on leveling ramps the frame bends slightly (as any trailer or truck frame will). Rear wheels on ramps and the door gets pinched, front wheels on ramps and the door wont latch as well.
Best place to lift is jacking it under the torsion axle frame.