Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Audio video TV, Radio, Satellite, speakers, etc

Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Default Back Camera for 1999 Hilo

I sold my 1983 and purchased a 1999 29 ft classic, any way I want to install it on the back off the camper and hard wire it to the tow vehicle. I plan on running the cable inside the top and down thru with the cables in the bathroom and then to the tow vehicle.
My question is since there are several people out there that have rebiult the top section, is the a easy way to access the back side of the rear running lights, tail lights etc so I can then use fish tape and run my cable to the bathroom?
I tried to take cabinets apart inside and it apears they are glued so I don't want to start ripping things apart without knwoing what I am doing for sure.
any help would be appreciated,
morstang

morstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
sam

Default Installing backup camera

Dh is in bed so I can't ask him. I know others on the forum have installed cameras and would be able to advise you. Nothing is "easy " when you are doing any kind of rewiring and the walls are in place with insulation,studs and other wires. We didn't have to replace our interior end caps. DH has a background in electrical /electronics and will be able to explain the wiring to you. I know it can be done.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

For the back-up camera, I would change the location. I have ran wires in my 97 like you want but it had a removable panel on the rear wall. Looking at my 06, the wall is sealed on the inside. The best way is remove the rear cap, this will make it easy for inspection of leaks and resealing the seams.
The different location, mount a riser tube off the spare tire bracket to hold the camera and run the wires on the inside of the tube under the trailer in wire loom protector to the TV. May work?
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
sam

Default Back up camera

We haven't done this.Dh said to run it under the chassis much like campthe west said. Look on you tube as quite a bit has been doccumented. Mod My Rv might be another source of information. Just have wife and children help you back into your campsite,much cheaper.LOL. I can see where it would come in handy with a longer trailer when you have to switch lanes. Best of luck with this mod.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #5

Default installation

I bought a camera off ebay for $10 and then drilled a hole below the 3rd brake light. I ran the cables into the cabinet and then thru the side wall cabinets and then into the bathroom and down with the other wires. I then ran the wires thru the floor and ran them up to the vehicle. works great, no more blind spot.
Morstang
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #6

Default Sounds good

Morstang that sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I also have a 1999 29ft classic. Was wondering if you have a solar panel mounted? If you do do you have any idea of where the solar power regulator is mounted in your HiLo or even if there is a regulator or does it tie into the power converter/charger?

Thanks a good idea on that camera, any pics of it? How did you tie into your TV?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Smile reply

Hi
I have never looked to see if I have a regulator on the solar charger, if there is I assume it is in the indicator panel since it is such low amps. As for the camera I will try to post some pics in the near future. as for the connection, when I installed the camera on my vehicle I set it up so I would have the RCA cable from the camera connected near the hitch plug. then I simply unplug the camera from the bumper of the vehicle and plug in the cable from the camper.
Morstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post
Morstang that sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I also have a 1999 29ft classic. Was wondering if you have a solar panel mounted? If you do do you have any idea of where the solar power regulator is mounted in your HiLo or even if there is a regulator or does it tie into the power converter/charger?

Thanks a good idea on that camera, any pics of it? How did you tie into your TV?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:

Hi PappaP
On my 2805 the regulator is located behind the fridg. Remove the outside vent panel and it is just laying in the compartment. Its yellow and about 1 or 2 " square.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by morstang View Post
Hi
I have never looked to see if I have a regulator on the solar charger, if there is I assume it is in the indicator panel since it is such low amps. As for the camera I will try to post some pics in the near future. as for the connection, when I installed the camera on my vehicle I set it up so I would have the RCA cable from the camera connected near the hitch plug. then I simply unplug the camera from the bumper of the vehicle and plug in the cable from the camper.
Morstang

thanks Morstang, would like to see the pics when you get a chance.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
Hi PappaP
On my 2805 the regulator is located behind the fridg. Remove the outside vent panel and it is just laying in the compartment. Its yellow and about 1 or 2 " square.
Thanks Jim, I had pulled the vent cover off my frig before and was basically looking for some type of electronic looking box similar to the charger/converter but didn't see anything of that sort. So your solar regulator is just a small 1 or 2" square looking component, is that typical of what they look like? I have tried researching on the web and really find that most information is explained as if you are using something more up to date such as an inverter and 3-stage charger in line with the solar panel. I will check out behind my frig a little better and try to find out if I have something like your explaining. Thanks Jim
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks Jim, I had pulled the vent cover off my frig before and was basically looking for some type of electronic looking box similar to the charger/converter but didn't see anything of that sort. So your solar regulator is just a small 1 or 2" square looking component, is that typical of what they look like? I have tried researching on the web and really find that most information is explained as if you are using something more up to date such as an inverter and 3-stage charger in line with the solar panel. I will check out behind my frig a little better and try to find out if I have something like your explaining. Thanks Jim
This is typical of what HiLo used. It is not mounted just laying in the compartment. It has 2 or 3 small lites to indicate charging and fully charged. In the camping world catalog they show the shipping weight as only 1/4 pound. The new ones are a different color, mine is yellow.
central VA
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
This is typical of what HiLo used. It is not mounted just laying in the compartment. It has 2 or 3 small lites to indicate charging and fully charged. In the camping world catalog they show the shipping weight as only 1/4 pound. The new ones are a different color, mine is yellow.
Look at this web site for a picture of the controller.
Power Inverters Xpower Portable Power Xantrex Inverter - Solar Charge Controllers The picture is of the ICP 7amp
charge controller. The ICP instructions with my controller show that you can have a solar panel without the controller but you may overcharge the battery without it.
central VA
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #13

PappaP,

Chances are that you do not have a regulator for your solar panel. I heard that if you have a switch on your control panel marked "solar panel", then you do not have a regulator for the solar panel. HiLo did this in the early days and then eliminated the "off/on" switch and went with the regulator. My 2001 Classic has the solar panel and no regulator. It has the "off/on" switch on the monitor panel. Hope this clears things up a little.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #14

My 2805C has both the on/off switch and the regulator. With the amt of sun you get in AZ you will overcharge the battery if you do not cut the panel off when parked. This will boil the water out of the battery and shorten its life. The solar panel will help keep the battery charged but it is not a battery tender. I replaced my original converter with a new one with a battery tender circuit and the RV has been plugged in for over a year and have not had to add any water. I keep the HiLo under a shed and also covered with a Adco cover most of the time so I do not get much use of the solar panel except when camping.

central VA