Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Audio video TV, Radio, Satellite, speakers, etc

Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #1

Default Rear view camera

Hi guys and gals, I searched the forum for info on installing a rear view camera, but could only find one thread and it was about using a wireless system. I want to install a wired system. Has anyone installed a wired system, if so how is it working, where did you purchase the equipment, and what did it end up costing?

Thanks, Richard
2901L Classic
2703 Towlite *
2002 F150 Super Crew 5.4

* Will be up for sale soon

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #2

Here is a thread from the RV Forum that may be of help.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Back-up camera systems

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

I'll be stocking one at work soon, i'll let you know how it works out
dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

I got one at Costco for $200, works great. Do your research because some units are made such that you cannot cut the cable to fit. The Costco units cable can be cut. I think it came with 60 feet of cable. I ran the cable along the roof gluing it in place with Lexseal. I left a some extra glued to the roof in case I needed to repair the end that attaches at the back of my truck. I had to buy some extra 5 pin connectors online to make that connection. It comes with a 7 inch screen and you can add 2 more cameras to the multiplexer box that comes with it. Works great especially for changing lanes with my 2806C. It also has a built in microphone in the camera and infra-red lighting.
Jeanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Default rear view camera

I've been using a wired rear view camera with two Hi Los. Purchased on amazon. The brand is Rear View Safety. Cost today $276.73 w/ Prime.
Installed the first one above the Hi Lo decal, thru the overhead cabinets, down the chase with the coil of wires (rear bath). Drilled a 3/4" hole in the floor, found and used the main frame member (clear to the front!) and installed the disconnect on a bracket near the front of the "A' frame. The TV was a simple install--disconnect near the plate, under the carpet to the center console. Mounted the 7" display via provided bracket.
Purchased a second system, sold that Hi Lo and gave the new owner the unused TV end for his TV and installed the new camera in my newer Hi Lo. Mounted this one on the spare tire rack after welding a strong bracket on it and ran the cable underneath, same as before.
Results; both systems worked perfect all the time. The field of vision allows you to see a vehicle come up behind you and as soon as he changes lanes to pass, you have him in your mirrors. NO blind spots! For more money, you can wire in up to three cameras, all work at the same time, just turn to the channel you want to see.
Oh, TV and TT are wired together with a coiled cable for flexibility. Only downside to any camera is the weather, if the lens gets lots of rain on it, all you'll see is the lights.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #6

Default camera

Treeclimber, so you are saying I can purchase a camera, mount it on the spare tire rack, run wire under camper to where? We just bought a used Hi Lo, I like it but don't like not being able to see behind me. I had thought when the camper was in the down position, I'd be able to see over it, which is not true. thanks! Deb
Deb Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Deb, I'm still using mine, without fault. I not sure what your TRAILERS rearend looks like, mine has a spare tire rack. I got a peice of flat stock from the depot, bent two 90○ bends to fit the camera on top of and welded the legs to the spare tire bracket. To this I mounted the camera, used several zip ties on the cable. Snaked it thru the main frame channel to the "A" frame. Found a suitable place to mount the plug. From there your on your own as far as the tow vehical. I'm in no way compensated nor endorsing this system. But for me this rig really works. We are tempted put a sign on the spare cover saying " Yes, we can see you!", because we can actually see the people in the car behind.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

thanks for your quick reply ! Nice to know it works for you. We might just hook the camera up to the truck, if we can find a good mounting spot hi enough to look over the camper. still thinking on this and working it all out.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

I bought my wife a wireless back up camera for Valentines day. Went to Death Valley Valley to celebrate.
Hooking up was a breeze. Only had to get out to check vertical alignment
She was very happy. A major bone of contention on our trips.
I got a 2.4ghz from Amazon.
I keep the screen in the console. The camera is attached to the license plate frame.
It has worked flawlessly so far.
I NEVER back up the attached trlr with out human eyes!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #10

thanks for the info! Wireless sure would be an easier install. Which brand did you buy from Amazon? Did you mount it on the truck or on the camper? Yea, I worry more about the lack of rear view than my husband does, and he does most of the driving. Deb
Old 04-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Site Team

Deb, because of the "wide angle view" of all rear cameras, you would have to mount the camera on a tall tower if it would be mounted on your truck. Otherwise, all you'd see is the front of the trailer and sky.

Fashioning a mounting point on the spare tire mount is ideal, and is the route I used. (I used a bike carrier that I had there for that purpose). It was easy to run the wire from the camera under the trailer along the frame up to the vicinity of the trailer plug, where it plugged into a connector from the tow vehicle.

I worried about theft when I first installed it, but cameras are so common now, I doubt that is a big consideration.

Ultimately, I decided I didn't care for the trailer camera much so have removed it. I DO have and use backup cameras on my vehicles though.

- Jack
Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Deb, read reviews on any you like. I have seen reviews about cell tower interface with wireless systems, folks I TALKED to have had little problems with them. I have seen 18 wheelers with wired systems. One camera on the cab, one on the tail of the trailed.
Plenty of wire. I kept the extra length of cable in the main frame channel.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #13

Esky EC135-05 Waterproof High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 7 Infrared Night Vision LED
Sold by: Thousandshores Inc
Return window closed on Mar 11, 2017
$19.99
Buy it again
Esky Wireless Color Video Transmitter and Receiver for Vehicle Backup Camera / Front Car Camera
$12.99
Buy it again
Esky Foldable 4.3 Inch Anti-Glare Color LCD TFT Rear View Monitor Screen
$23.99

I personally have not had any interference issues. I wouldn't expect issues at DV, but none in city either
And I would recommend. And it s not a big deal to change out for another vehicle
Now I can go camping by myself, since I can hook up.
There is still wiring to do. For screen and camera.

If wife is happy....I am happy
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #14

Default rear view camera

Hi,
I got mine at Costco and I love it. I also mounted mine on the spare tire mount with foam ( vibration) and zip ties. I ran the wire under the trailer through conduit to protect the wire. Best buy installed the monitor for 100.00 and did a great job. It has made driving much easier and less stressful.
Lincow
lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 AM   #15

such great replies! We still want a camera, just not sure if wired is the best way to go. with wireless, hookup to rear of camper would be easier... have to check how much they cost and which ones work reliably. I understand now, it has to be mounted on the camper. Deb
Old 08-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #16

I installed a wired back-up camera on my 2307 Classic. I wrote a thread on it back on 3-27-2015, under exterior. If you can't find it (I coudn't when I looked), do an advanced search using me as the author. That will get you to it. I won't repeat the details here,, but would encourage you to take it on as a DIY project if you're handy and feel comfortable around wiring.

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote