Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Smile 1999 Towlite repair

I have been looking around for the past couple of weeks and reading lots of posts about all the repairs...My husband and I brought my parents' 1999 Towlite Hi-lo type of camper home to repair...much like many I have seen talked about, the entire top section has water damage and we are in the process of beginning to take things out.. we have the windows and door out now and are beginning to pull some of the interior wall coverings down.. one of my main questions at this point is whether anyone knows if there is metal framework in this thing? I have watched several of the videos and things and know there is a thin panel followed by a layer of Styrofoam and then another panel... I just haven't seen anything to indicate that there is anything else there before we get to the outside shell. My apologies for sounding like I don't know what we are doing but let's face it, we don't know what we are doing at the moment... any suggestions, info, or whatever is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance to you all.

lpgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 PM   #2

The classics were metal frame and the towlights switched to metal around 2000. So- you may have wood OR metal depending on when yours was built. Check brochures in the library section.

Rick

brochure says it is a metal frame.

link to brochures: http://www.hilotrailer.com/home/then

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

Thanks so much.. I saw the picture in the brochure so I am hoping it is right.. lol. We got some of the ceiling down and at least found rusted metal there.. I was able to detect at least some metal down the side with a magnet. We have one more cabinet to take out and then we should be ready to pull more off and see what we actually have behind the rotten wood...still hoping for the best
Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
sam

Default Repairs to your towlite.

Just wanted to encourage you in your repairs. No matter what you find it is repairable. Time,$ and handyman skills are all that are needed.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #5

Thanks, Sam. My husband was a local contractor for several years so we have the "handyman" part covered....I have been taking pictures each day so we can track our progress and what we find...(Thanks for all the suggestions in this forum..I have definitely been reading many each day)
Old 07-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
sam

Default Repairs

Once you find out if your walls are metal studs or wood I will be able to give you more help. It is a good idea to take lots of pictures as this will help you put things back together. It may be some time between tearout and reinstall. We made a photo bucket of our repairs. This comes in handy when it is time to sell.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote