Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #1

Hey everyone, just bought a 68 hi lo and cant figure out how to get the top down. I bought it with it up, trailered it 10 min home (I now realize this is a big no no). I couldn't figure out how to lower it but wanted to make sure it WOULD lower so I bled out the hydraulic fluid and down she went. Lubed up all the cables and guides as it lowered slowly. Added some more fluid to the tank and raised it up again to try and lower it the "proper" way.

There are no solenoids I can see on it, looks like they were taken out and bypassed. The toggle switch with the red cap works to raise the top. Flipping it the other way seems to be the way it lowers but nothing happens. Battery is good and no fuses that I can find for the 12V system besides for the water pump.

Safety Latch is disengaged, no other obstructions in the way. As soon as it was raised I tried to lower it...

There is no master switch or up/down switch i could find anywhere in the camper. Not sure if it is an electric valve or manual valve to lower it? Im stumped....any ideas?

Hey everyone, just bought a 68 hi lo and cant figure out how to get the top down. I bought it with it up, trailered it 10 min home (I now realize this is a big no no). I couldn't figure out how to lower it but wanted to make sure it WOULD lower so I bled out the hydraulic fluid and down she went. Lubed up all the cables and guides as it lowered slowly. Added some more fluid to the tank and raised it up again to try and lower it the "proper" way.

There are no solenoids I can see on it, looks like they were taken out and bypassed. The toggle switch with the red cap works to raise the top. Flipping it the other way seems to be the way it lowers but nothing happens. Battery is good and no fuses that I can find for the 12V system besides for the water pump.

Safety Latch is disengaged, no other obstructions in the way. As soon as it was raised I tried to lower it...

There is no master switch or up/down switch i could find anywhere in the camper. Not sure if it is an electric valve or manual valve to lower it? Im stumped....any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_082007.jpg (146.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_082020.jpg (152.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_084243.jpg (153.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_084323.jpg (176.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_082007.jpg (146.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_082020.jpg (152.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_084243.jpg (153.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180317_084735.jpg (207.9 KB, 24 views)

68hilocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #2

What yr did they go to hydraulic tops? Just wondering SURE IT DONT RAISE HYDRAULLY THEN YOU BLEED THE CYLINDERS OR THE PUMP ITSELF TO LET DOWN,CRANK DOWN? ALSO JUST WONDERING ? IDK MIKE

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

Not sure what year they went to hydraulic. This is my first camper. Also not sure if it lowers without the pump or not, I've heard there were both systems around that year. I've searched all over the thing and can't find anything resembling a bleeder valve. I bled the hydraulic fluid out of it when I did it, making a mess in the process but wanted to ensure nothing was jammed or broken. I noticed the tail lights were on this evening with no shore power, and unplugged from my truck?...my thinking is both the tail lights and pump not bleeding has to be something related to a problem with electrical
Old 03-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

Look on the section between the pump and the reservoir. That is where the release valve is located. There is a solenoid valve there that should have a light gauge wire going to it that energizes the it. The pump does not run when lowering the top. The solenoid simply releases the fluid from the cylinder to go back into the reservoir.

Do you have a manual for the Hi-Lo? That would help because it should give instructions to raise and lower and also electrical diagrams.

here is a link to the a 1969 manual which would be the same:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...on-voyage-836/

It appears from comparing the your photos and the manual's photos there have been some alterations made to the pump assembly.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Thats what i was thinking no reason touse pump to lower it you just dump fluid back to tank with bleedr but wouldnt it be outside so you dont lower it on yourself inside?
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM   #6

I merged your two threads so you now have a couple duplications of photos.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

Solved!! The bolt holding the toggle switch needed to be adjusted a couple of turns. It is a manual release valve. As the toggle switch moves, it depressed the "button" and also pushes in on a small valve on the side of the pump. Weird thing is I shoved a screwdriver to push that small valve in when the switch was in the "lower" position and nothing happened. Who knows...just happy it works!