Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Default Bike/Canoe roof rack ?

Two different Hi-Lo dealers I had a chance to chat with some time ago told me that it would not be a problem to mount, for example, a Yakima roof rack to support a canoe or a couple of bikes. In addition, this would not void warranty ( a moot pint now, I guess). However, I have never seen any Hi-Lo with a roof rack... I would not mind a visible screw on the ceiling as long as the roof can support additional weight....

Any thoughts ?

J233

J233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

I personally would not mount a rack for bikes on the roof, my 97 towlite has flex in the roof when towing. I've heard of people mounting rack systems off the corners to support the wieght, but the flex from the wieght may cause a leak or two. I perfer mounting a bike rack on the rear bumper.

The added wieght would flatten the crown that's built into the roof. I had an issue with my roof mounted A/C, The factory did not provide enough support in the roof framing for the A/C. The wieght of the A/C flatten the crown of the roof and caused it to collect water.

I removed the A/C, installed marine grade 1/2" plywood strips with rounded edges and rubber sheet strips( for an isulator )between the metal frame and metal roof. Installed a new gasket and reinstalled the A/C.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #3

Really ? I thought that HiLo roofs were very sturdy and at least can match Coleman tent trailer, for example, which offers a lot in terms of mounting bikes and canoes on its roof....

This is a main issue for us, given that I have no means of transporing a canoe on my current TV (want to keep it for a few good years)....
J233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Default Roo top carrier

Neatest idea I've heard for carrying a kayak on the roof of a Hi Lo is to use tire tubes on top of the the HI Lo with the kayak on top of the inflated tubes. Sounded like a workable idea without any screws in the top. Just tie the kayak down really tight and you're off.
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by J233 View Post
Really ? I thought that Hi Lo roofs were very sturdy and at least can match Coleman tent trailer, for example, which offers a lot in terms of mounting bikes and canoes on its roof....

This is a main issue for us, given that I have no means of transporting a canoe on my current TV (want to keep it for a few good years)....
I think Campwestcoast, has valid "general" concern, mounting on the roof would be one of those "need to be ingenious" types of things, due to the fact that once the roof leaks, it gets destroyed many many many times before it shows up inside, be it a motor home or the Hilo... It is your camper for sure, and I know the roof can support my formerly fat butt up on there. I think Camp was pointing out what some people don't or didn't think about (or know) in general when building a solution to your problem. I think I could haul motorcycles on mine, as long as I make the load bearing mounts connect to camper in the right ways. My cycles are heavier than a canoe, my thoughts more lie in weird "loads" due to winds and such as well.

1 If I were going to make a mount, I would either copy how they mount canoes and bikes to the roof of a car, when done without drilling holes in roof and or hoping the floppy tin in the center of roof holds anything... and where they don't devalue the car by a ton, because they let the roof get all messed up...

2 And where legs/mounting brackets would be done as close to a side as reasonably possible Better yet, in fact I would probably figure out how to make the frame that the boat would rest on, actually mount on/into the sidewalls, just because leaking is a problem in campers without mounting things on the roof.

For my "in my mind design," Using angle iron to make a bracket that might not even need to me screwed to the roof, and a couple strap points added to the bottom edge of the top of campers top half (where the cables to lift hook onto), thus letting the straps hold the canoe and rubber coated or foam coated angle iron brackets to the top... after slightly more thought though I would use lag bolts and secure these angle irons to the roof from the sides, probably, so it cant wiggle in higher winds.

If you have a rubber roof model, I think it is even more imperative that you would want to mount to the sidewalls not the top, honestly.

I have a crude drawing of what I picture in my head as I explained it...

I dunno, but it is what I was thinking, that is all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canoe.jpg (22.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 01-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Default kayak/canoe rack

Here is my set-up
flfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfire View Post
Here is my set-up
Could not get to the link to see your set-up
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd
Default roof rack ideas

I would make a rack that would only attach to the bottom edge tube and would "c" chanel over the roof , but it might interfere with an awning, unless you use plus nuts in the tube so you can unbolt the rack
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
I think Campwestcoast, has valid "general" concern, mounting on the roof would be one of those "need to be ingenious" types of things, due to the fact that once the roof leaks, it gets destroyed many many many times before it shows up inside, be it a motor home or the Hilo... It is your camper for sure, and I know the roof can support my formerly fat butt up on there. I think Camp was pointing out what some people don't or didn't think about (or know) in general when building a solution to your problem. I think I could haul motorcycles on mine, as long as I make the load bearing mounts connect to camper in the right ways. My cycles are heavier than a canoe, my thoughts more lie in weird "loads" due to winds and such as well.

1 If I were going to make a mount, I would either copy how they mount canoes and bikes to the roof of a car, when done without drilling holes in roof and or hoping the floppy tin in the center of roof holds anything... and where they don't devalue the car by a ton, because they let the roof get all messed up...

2 And where legs/mounting brackets would be done as close to a side as reasonably possible Better yet, in fact I would probably figure out how to make the frame that the boat would rest on, actually mount on/into the sidewalls, just because leaking is a problem in campers without mounting things on the roof.

For my "in my mind design," Using angle iron to make a bracket that might not even need to me screwed to the roof, and a couple strap points added to the bottom edge of the top of campers top half (where the cables to lift hook onto), thus letting the straps hold the canoe and rubber coated or foam coated angle iron brackets to the top... after slightly more thought though I would use lag bolts and secure these angle irons to the roof from the sides, probably, so it cant wiggle in higher winds.

If you have a rubber roof model, I think it is even more imperative that you would want to mount to the sidewalls not the top, honestly.

I have a crude drawing of what I picture in my head as I explained it...

I dunno, but it is what I was thinking, that is all.
Kansas,I have been kicking around this idea of a roof rack for quite some time now,I am a good mechanic but I have learned the hard way over the yrs,NEVER START ON A PROJECT WITHOUT ALL THE PROPER INFO TO FINISH THE JOB,I love my HI-LO and dont want to see the roof or sides damaged,I have tried everything short of a court order to get the old or new owners of the company to give me some precise framework and roof support drawings,they dont even reply,Im not puting one hole in my unit without knowing exactly where the supports are,does anyone know where I can get this info,I want to incorporate a ridged awning cover to keep out leaves etc from the anchor seam.please help
goldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #10

I mounted artificial "gutters" on the roof of my pop-up truck camper. but I did mount them on the sides and into the frame of the roof. I was then able to use yakima or thule bars on it with appropriate gutter mount "foots". Another product is called " qik-n-easy" which is a foot that you can attach either a 2x2 or 2x4 or whatever across or a round bar or rectangular bar. I think this would be ok EXCEPT..........that is a long span for carrying anything and anything over 60 inches is going to flex alot once you put a load on it.

I worked at a canoe shop for about 5 years and spent the last twenty carrying canoes and kayaks on various vehicles. So, On the other hand- why NOT carry your bikes or canoes on top of the TV? The "rack industry" is a big one and there isn't much they haven't figured out how to attach a rack to ---vehicle wise.

However, Foam carriers do work well for canoes and kayaks IF you have strong 4-point tie down hooks or something similar and even the heaviest of canoes would only be 100 lbs split over two resting spots. S0- fifty each, front and back.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #11

I mounted artificial "gutters" on the roof of my pop-up truck camper. but I did mount them on the sides and into the frame of the roof. I was then able to use yakima or thule bars on it with appropriate gutter mount "foots". Another product is called " qik-n-easy" which is a foot that you can attach either a 2x2 or 2x4 or whatever across or a round bar or rectangular bar. I think this would be ok EXCEPT..........that is a long span for carrying anything and anything over 60 inches is going to flex alot once you put a load on it.

I worked at a canoe shop for about 5 years and spent the last twenty carrying canoes and kayaks on various vehicles. So, On the other hand- why NOT carry your bikes or canoes on to of the TV? The "rack industry" is a big one and there isn't much they haven't figured out how to attach a rack to ---vehicle wise.

However, Foam carriers do work well for canoes and kayaks IF you have strong 4-point tie down hooks or something similar and even the heaviest of canoes would only be 100 lbs split over two resting spots. S0- fifty each, front and back.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #12

Default Kayak/canoe rack for Hi-Lo

I made a rack for my 22t and didn't have to drill the first hole anywhere. I can haul four kayaks on the rack I built. If you would like to see pics, email me at: tmustang69302w@comcast.net and I'll send you some pics and information on it.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #13

Default Kayak rack I made for my Hi-Lo

Sorry about the pics not coming through, let me try it again. No holes were drilled in my roof to mount the rack and it stays on the roof when I'm camping. I also cut off the factory bumper and welded in a heavy duty bumper that could handle whatever I wanted to haul on the back of my trailer like the kayak trailer you see in the pics. Sorry about the pics coming in upside down. Damn I-pod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0140[1].jpg (82.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0137[1].jpg (83.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 07-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Default unside down

For those of us that are interested and are tired of standing on our heads. Here are the pics right side up.

Also Thanks for showing us how you mounted your kayaks even if you got the pic upside down. Thanks for ideas on how to do this.

I've been known to strap 5 kayaks and a canoe to the top of my truck before.

Later Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137[1].jpg (79.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140[1].jpg (79.1 KB, 83 views)
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #15

Default Kayak rack and trailer hauler

Here are some pics of my kayak rack I made and the trailer I assemble once I'm at the campsite to get my boats where I need to go.IMGP0239.jpg

IMGP0238.jpg

IMGP0237.jpg
Old 07-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #16

are the cross bars attached

Dasicle is offline   Reply With Quote