Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 08-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #1

Unhappy Bound to happen.

I have at least 1 cable fraying and another that is in iffy condition. The cable is frayed so bad;y that we can't even open it up all the way.

Time for the baby to go into the shop provided that can find one around here.

DH and I replaced a cable on a popup and I am not keen on doing it on the UFO.

I thin I am gonna cry.

Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Sounds like a road trip to Ohio for repairs. If two cables are bad, better off having all four cables changed. Just saying..........................

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
sam

Default Replacing cables

I know some one that had an RV repair shop and had all four cables replaced. It costs over one thousand dollars.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

I may have found a shop local to me. Waiting on a return call right now.

DH and I have talked about replacing the cables ourselves. We may have the knowledge and the skills and the tools, but we don't have the patience to do the work
Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Team

Pinn, can you give me a follow-up on your cable situation?
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

Sure thing..
The shop turned out be owned by a former HiLo warranty repair rep. So he was anxious to get his hands on one again. They were able to get the cables replaced quickly. According to the shop the cables were going to have massive failure in a short time frame, other cables were fraying and rusted. Cost was less than $900.00

They also did a few other little things that the P.O. had either messed up or removed or that we didn't have the tools to do ourselves.

Now the UFO is in the shop again getting repaired after we were hit while camping at a small state park in SC last year. Spoke to them on Saturday and they indicated that the damage is worse than the inspector thought. Waiting on a call from them now.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Thanks so much for the fast response Pinn, I was curious because my "new" Hi Lo needs the bulb seal replaced and I figured if I'm doing that, might as well replace blocks and cables at the same time. However, when I was changing out the shower faucet, I discovered that all the TOP wires had been snipped off then spliced back together. So I checked underneath and sure enough, the cables are newish and the aluminum flashing has been replaced all around and the bottom wood is solid - but not the bulb seal!
Best of luck with the body shop, I know it's hard to find anyplace with Hi Lo experience. I'm sure it'll work out and you'll be ready for the season.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
sam

Default Replacing bulb seal.

You might want to ask the po what the story is on the sniped wires. The bulb seal you will need is 3/4 hollow with a 1" stem. Try this supplier McMaster Carr. Our HiLo dealer got our seal from J&R. It was $400.00 for our 25fter. Hopefully you can find it cheaper. If we had known the exact dimensions I would have searched the internet. You are handy and can do this repair. The only thing we couldn't figure out was how to lift the HiLo high enough to replace the seal behing the ref. Plan B..we use a homemade draft stopper around the fridge area. I also would of used the heavier aluminum that is used to wrap windows. Let me know if you need any more advice. Pinn sorry they found additional damage on your HiLo. Good news that you found a competent person to work on your HiLo.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #9

At least it has been found and will be repaired and repaired correctly.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
sam

Default Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

Pinn, Best of luck with your repairs. By springtime this will all be a distant memory. Camp on!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #11

Went to the local NCRVDA show over the weekend and our repair shop, Franks RV Repair, was there drumming up more business. So we got a chance to talk to them a little bit about the status of our repair.

They haven't even started it on since they had found more damage.. and we are waiting on word from the insurance company to approve the additional repairs. I told them to go ahead and fix the trailer since it does need to be fixed. I'll call them, USAA, this week and be a PITA about it.. they did indicate that they would approve the repairs once the appraiser admitted that he never looked inside the trailer for more damage.

And ordered sensors to go on the propane tanks for indicator levels. Really don't like being without propane on cold nights for some odd reason.

Slowly but surely getting the UFO back to where it needs to be,.. My Yard
Old 02-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #12
sam

Default Trailer repairs

So sorry your insurance co. gave you a half .... adjuster. I'm glad you will be calling them this week. They surely have no problem taking your ins. premium $ Keep us posted.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #13

Unhappy

Unfortunately The UFO had been totaled by the insurance company. The damages are 80% of it's worth.

We have to get the rest of our stuff out of it this weekend...probably around the tears. We put a lot of time and money into her to keep her on the road.

I really liked it also and really want to get another one, but the one I found I like is in the Miami FL area at a sweet price also. I can't convince DH to go for another one.

I've learned a lot about campers and HiLo's in particular from this forum and really appreciated all the advice and good wishes.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
Unfortunately The UFO had been totaled by the insurance company. The damages are 80% of it's worth.

We have to get the rest of our stuff out of it this weekend...probably around the tears. We put a lot of time and money into her to keep her on the road.

I really liked it also and really want to get another one, but the one I found I like is in the Miami FL area at a sweet price also. I can't convince DH to go for another one.

I've learned a lot about campers and HiLo's in particular from this forum and really appreciated all the advice and good wishes.
Pinn, if you have time a unit you like and not so far away could very well pop up for sale here on the forum.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote