Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Cleaning and Sealing Roof?

I used spray nine on the top of my camper the other day and scrubbed the crap out of it. It was a waterfall of black water washing off the top. Its now a lot cleaner than it was before. What more should I do before applying the sealant? I went over it twice with the spray nine and the attached picture is the outcome. Should I clean it better? Should I use sealant primer on it or is that just a bogus product? I've had this sealant setting on the shelf for a couple years and am assuming its the right product for the job....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160222_104156.jpg (208.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20160222_105135.jpg (181.9 KB, 23 views)

motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Site Team

If all the "loose" dirt is off the roof, I don't really think a primer is necessary. I've never used anything like that on a home roof that was discolored.

I AM puzzled, though at the color of your roof. I don't know anything about "Spray Nine", and don't know how effective it is. I think I'd try Simple Green or 409 on a small section with a brush and see if there's any improvement. If not, I'd say go ahead with the Kool Seal.

- Jack

Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Yeah, when I started it was a lot worse. I've used a lot of cleaners and Spray nine is really about as good as it gets. Not many have heard about it and not many stores carry it but its some good stuff. Here is a before picture of how bad it was. I guess it stayed under trees and stuff for a long time. Planning on uninstalling the two busted vents on the top and buying the whole new fixture and installing after sealing the roof. Likely going to remove the AC unit too. I'm planning on doing this thing right and hopefully wont have any issues in the near future...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160213_141258.jpg (236.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #4

Spray Nine is a great product. It removes almost anything. My wife used it in school when she was teaching. It will remove ink and stains off of desks, table tops, etc. We buy it at a office supply store. We keep a bottle in the house and one in the trailer. She said it was stronger than "mother's spit". Remember how mom would moisten her finger or kleenex and wipe the smudge off our faces?

motorpig, I would definately give it 2 or 3 coats of the KoolSeal. Don't worry about using a sealer prior to applying the KoolSeal.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Hi Is that a metal roof? if so I assumed they didn't need waterproofing
secondhandsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
Site Team

motor, Just to let you know, Amazon has Fan-tastic vents with reverse for $141 each. I'm putting a second one in in a few days. Fits right in the existing 14 X 14 hole. just a little shaping if the inner surround is needed.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandsmith View Post
Hi Is that a metal roof? if so I assumed they didn't need waterproofing
No, its vinyl.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpig2342 View Post
No, its vinyl.

I dont think so. That looks EXACTLY like my roof and my roof is Aluminum. Maybe you were thinking something else is vinyl? Maybe I am confused. Whatever- but I'd bet a fair amount you have a metal roof.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

And, SECOND HAND=--- the metal roofs ARE waterproof until they get a hole or two in them. Then- just like a raincoat- they aren't anymore. The aluminum roofs have been known to get holes for various reasons over time- so sealing them fixes that and sealing for preventative purposes likely gets at tiny spots that are not BIG problems yet but could be.

Rick

4x4
Old 02-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
I dont think so. That looks EXACTLY like my roof and my roof is Aluminum. Maybe you were thinking something else is vinyl? Maybe I am confused. Whatever- but I'd bet a fair amount you have a metal roof.

Rick
I bet your right. I'll have to look at it close when I get home. I bet it is metal that has had a coat of seal put on top.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post

Rick
It sure is aluminum. I guess it's leaking in one of the main seems running from each side. Or maybe a small hole like you mentioned. I think I'm going to take my pressure washer to it now that I know it's metal. Kinda hard to inspect real good while still dirty. Any drawbacks to using a pressure washer had long as I'm cautious at the edges and joints? Glad you saw this. It doesn't have a coating already on it, I was just seeing the texture in the aluminum. How are those seams put together? Looks like one has a bigger has than others, and that's around the area that my leak is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160225_171946.jpg (118.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20160225_171939.jpg (125.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20160225_171926.jpg (112.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #12

Most people recommend against using a pressure washer to wash an RV. - I'm not sure exactly why but I tend to heed the advice of folks who have been messing around RVs much longer than me. I've used a garden hose, mild detergent, and relatively stiff brush on mine. Plus, if you are up there scrubbing you are more likely to discover any pin holes you may have. I would clean it and then clear off any old/loose caulk around the edges and vents etc. re- caulk. Mark pin holes and make sure you patch those. THEN I would apply the sealant. You said you wanted to do it " right" and this would be systematic and thorough way to do it.
Rick

4x4
Old 02-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #13

Check this thread. Read through it. Good info for you

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f35/...num-roof-4992/

4x4