Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Smile Couch, bed mod. on 2209

My wife has a breathing problem and sleeps on the dinette-bed, with lots of pillows half setting up. I sleep on the couch, bed in the front of the 2209, I thought that the 8" thickness would be great to sleep on compared to the foam 3-4 inch cushion in our 95. Turns out I didn't think it was very comfortable. The bottom cushion was tight against the front wall, which didn't let the foam expand in that direction, making it firmer near the wall. Then I discovered that it sloped towards the interior, between the 2 things it pushed me very near the edge. Now for the mod.-- I unbolted the back cushion and set it up on the shelf. I then removed the bottom larger cushion, held down by 4 screws. You remove the drawer under the couch to get at the 2 rear screws. Then unscrewed the 2, 3/4 x1 strips that the back sets on also the 3, 2x4 upright pcs, and cut 7/16 of an inch off the 3, 2x4 pcs. I reinstalled the 3 upright pcs. and one of the 3/4 x1 strips, then I got another 3/4x1 and install it, then the other original 3/4x1 for a total of 3 strips, I put extra screws in these, this moves the cushion 3/4 of and inch away from the wall so it can now expand in that direction. Made 2 pieces of 1/8x1x3" steel strips and drilled holes and bolted them to the top of the original front metal hold down brackets, to extend them 3/4 of an inch also put a 1/4 plus thickness piece of wood in the middle of the cushion where there was no support. I am not a heavy person and the front metal bar already had a slight downward bow in it from no middle support. Re assembled ever thing, the cushion now slopes a small amount towards the front wall and the cushion can now expand towards the front wall, just lying on it felt much better, can't wait to try it out for sleeping. Was an all day job with fitting and such, but I think it will be well worth the effort.

PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #2

That is an option but I didn't put the back cushion back on is swing arms as I don't like crawling over it when it is down and it takes up to much room when it is in the back for sleeping. I just set it up on the shelf at night which I can do. Leaving the bunk cushion in place on the couch bed would hinder getting into the drawer under neath and taking it down and putting it back every day, is to much for me. Due to my age and size I can't swing it back up. I would love to put it under the dinette bed cushions which would make the wife happy but it is to big. I think what i did will suit my needs fine. Will report back as soon as I try it out.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

Talking

Hey pop, we have a 21TL with the front bed/couch and we took the loft bed out all the way and made a clothes rack in the back of the camper by the spare tire and bike rack, we bought a full size air mattress for the front couch bed and a twin size for the table bed and covered them with a comforter and whala. works great! do not inflate them full only 3/4 that way it forms to your body for comfort.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #4

Just spent 3 nights at Lackawanna, a PA state park. My bed mod was a big improvement but wasn't as good as I expected. Should have lowered the back more than I did. At least I can now sleep on it without feeling like I have to hang on to keep from going on the floor.