Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77
Default Easy way to add 5gal of water

I just finished this for adding 5 gal of fresh water to the tank with out lifting, which I can't do. We often stay long enough to run out of water and moving the trailer to get water is a pain, Water is usually close by but to far to hook up too or not suitable to connect a hose. I bought a used Shurflo trailer water pump on Ebay and added wiring a switch a fuse and tubing. I had the bracket with a switch and fuse holder, I removed the top screw on the pump, filed a flat for the bracket put in a longer screw, drilled a hole in the bracket added a few washers and a nut to hold the switch bracket. I soldered all the wiring. I got the 1/2 inch tubing and connectors at Lowes. For the wiring I used a 2 wire connector, so that the pump can be unplugged. I have 5gal collapsible jug and a light weight collapsible lift truck. In the pics I tested everything using a 1 gal jug. Now I just have to find a place to keep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water pump.001.jpg (83.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Water pump 002.jpg (91.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Water pump 003.jpg (93.5 KB, 157 views)

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
gus

very cool setup, how much did the pump run you?

gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

It was $49 including shipping, a little more than I wanted to pay but wasn't going to wait for a better deal. I did pass up a few better deals while making up my mind.
The switch, fuse holder, bracket, wire and the 2 wire connector, I already had, the 2 pump to hose connectors were $4.54 (2.27ea) and the 6ft of 1/2" tubing was $2.22 at Lowes.
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Pop Richie,

Good idea. I know from past experience trying to hold a 5-gallon water can and pouring into a slow funnel or into an awkward angle filler tube can be difficult.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

Default Water

Another way is to let gravity do the work. I have a 7 gallon water bottle. Once filled with water I set it on top of the gas bottles. Then connect a 10 ft white water hose and let the water drain into the fill port.
I also once saw a fellow camper use a pump and a cooler and it worked also. Just like a lot of things many different ways to get the job done.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

I went with the pump cause I can't lift a 5 gallon container more than a foot or so off the ground and even that is not good. I have a fold up hand truck for moving the water container.
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 05-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
I just finished this for adding 5 gal of fresh water to the tank with out lifting, which I can't do. We often stay long enough to run out of water and moving the trailer to get water is a pain, Water is usually close by but to far to hook up too or not suitable to connect a hose. I bought a used Shurflo trailer water pump on Ebay and added wiring a switch a fuse and tubing. I had the bracket with a switch and fuse holder, I removed the top screw on the pump, filed a flat for the bracket put in a longer screw, drilled a hole in the bracket added a few washers and a nut to hold the switch bracket. I soldered all the wiring. I got the 1/2 inch tubing and connectors at Lowes. For the wiring I used a 2 wire connector, so that the pump can be unplugged. I have 5gal collapsible jug and a light weight collapsible lift truck. In the pics I tested everything using a 1 gal jug. Now I just have to find a place to keep.
That's a cute idea! I might just try it.
Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #8

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis95 View Post
Pop Richie,

Good idea. I know from past experience trying to hold a 5-gallon water can and pouring into a slow funnel or into an awkward angle filler tube can be difficult.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
I used a five gallon, (Cdn.) water jug resting on the propane cover, with a syphon hose, but it was very heavy to lift. [50 lbs.] I like this water pump idea; and a 'Pony Pump' doesn't cost very much.

Mel Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote