Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #1

Default External thermometer for fridge

I've been trying to figure out what setting to leave our fridge on to get the temperature that I want. I got tired of opening the door and looking at the thermometer that I had placed inside so I bought a external digital thermometer.

I went with an inexpensive wired model with two probes, one for the refrigerator and one for the freezer.

I choose a wired one after reading several reviews on these and the people that had the wired models gave a more positive review. I'm not saying that there aren't some good wireless models, it's just that that I didn't know which ones were good and the wires aren’t a problem

I'm very pleased with the one that we got and as you can see by the picture I haven't found the right setting for the fridge yet. I took the picture just a few minutes after putting the thermometer on.

This model has magnets on the back but there wasn't anything for them to stick to on my fridge so I used Velcro to stick it on.

I really like being able to glance at the fridge and know what temp it is without having to open the door and crouch down to read an internal one.

Neal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Digital fridge temp.jpg (94.4 KB, 98 views)

Old 03-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #2

Default refg

The temp in the refg is grately effected by the out side temp and it works very slow if you increase or lower the temp settings it will take several hours to make the changes. If you leave the door open a lot ck-ing the temp, It will lose cool inside the refg very fast and take a long time to recover.

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

I have found that is best to do the temperature adjustments when it is filled with food. There is less air space and the food holds the temperature more steady. Make the adjustment on the dial in the evening and give it overnight to allow the change to catch up. That way there will be less effect from opening the door.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #4

Sam, RichR,

That makes a lot of sense to me. the fridge is empty now, and it's cool weather here in Nashville, so I've had to keep turning the temperature knob back, it's on 3 now.

I'll stop fussing over it, as long as its below 40 degrees. Then when we get ready for a trip, we'll put the food in the day before and adjust as necessary to compensate for the food and the outside temperature.

Thanks!

Neal
Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Neal & Bev, I like you fridge thermometer very much. Like you I don't like opening the door to see the temperature. What brand is it and where did you get it? Thanks, Rich
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #6

I have been using a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer with good success. It is made by La Crosse, but I don't think brand matters. I can see both the refer and the trailer interior temps at the same time.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote