Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 AM   #1

Default First trailer is a HI-LO

Hello everyone. My name is betts we just recently purchased are first trailer and it's a 2000 190 TD. Kids named her SS Velma. She is a beauty, Two trips in and I realize the importants of good battery's. Just started my research and the main consensus seems to be two purchase 2-6volt deep cycle golf cart batteries. I would appreciate any advice, any suggestions on what works best. I am after all pretty dam green when it comes to travel trailers. Thanks, Betts

bettsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #2

Most Hi-Lo battery boxes will not accommodate golf cart batteries. Check the dimensions first.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Betts - welcome to the forum!

Besides the dimensions of the batteries, take these factors into consideration:
1. Two batteries are definitely better than one. Either two 6 volt (connected in series) or two 12 volt batteries (connected in parallel) give you more capacity - more "runtime"
2. The two 6 volt combination provides the most capacity due to the internal construction of the batteries. But, if either one of them fails, you have no power, because the trailer systems won't run on 6 volts. So, you have no "redundancy" - you essentially have just one battery.
3. The two 12 volt combination provides twice the capacity of a single battery but only about half the capacity of the 6 volt combination. However, if one of them fails, you can disconnect the faulty battery and the remaining battery will still power the trailer. You have a "backup" power supply in case of a battery failure.
For those reasons, go with two batteries if you can, but give some thought to the potential for battery failure, and what you will do if it happens.

- Jack
Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Both are good recommendations.

I personally went a different route.

I installed a rv group 27 battery on the hi-lo. Larger in height than the battery box, but still fits.
I also installed a battery recharging point in the bed of my trucks. It charges the additional group 27 battery for replacement in the case of power loss. I also use this battery for a lighter plug-in (20amp) in the bed of the truck to power my 12v Igloo cooler, and for use in the case of needing to use the battery air pump, or ?????. This is a cheap means to an end.

I always have a replacement battery when boon-docking and functional use when not needed for hi-lo.
We also have our generator for charging on longer stays in the desert.

Cover all of the bases. There is more than one way to skin a ???????

(DW would skin me if I used the C word)
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Site Team

I like Reno's suggestion too. How come no one ever says, "There's more than one way to skin a dog?"

One last thought though about the two-6 volt option: You actually DOUBLE the chance of "critical battery failure" if you use this option. You have two batteries, but a failure of either one leaves you out of luck. And, there's a greater chance that it will happen.

It's a bit like designing a twin engine aircraft that won't fly on one engine.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
sam

Default what battery to buy?

We have always purchased Interstate battery from our RV dealer. Bring the battery with you to get the exact dimensions. Never had a problem and they last for yrs. Search for back posts on batteries. Some pictures should be found of modifications with battery boxes to accommodate two batteries.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Another suggestion I have is to buy your battery, which ever way you go, from Costco, or other good retailer.

I just bought a new to me TV diesel,. Which takes 2 batteries for it to start. A so Cal truck and the first time it turned real cold would not start. Both were Kirkland batteries(costco). They were in the expire month stickered on the battery and I returned them for a full replacement at NO additional cost.

That was a $200 savings. No pro-rated, deal with the manager issues, only question was, what is wrong with it
Just purchased a new battery for the trlr and guess where I bought it?????

And Costco now, only carries the Interstate brand!

I couldn't use the D word either! My name would be fair game!
kd7ctk
Old 01-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Site Team

I buy ALL my vehicle/trailer batteries at Costco for that (easy replacement) very reason!

- Jack
Old 01-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I buy ALL my vehicle/trailer batteries at Costco for that (easy replacement) very reason!

- Jack
Does Costco take the old batteries?
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
Does Costco take the old batteries?
Yes - you are charged a "core deposit", I think it's $9 now, when you buy new batteries and that deposit is refunded to you when you bring the old battery in. You also get any warranty refund due you if the old batteries were bought at Costco.

In Tucson, you just take the old battery to the "Returns" desk.

- Jack
Old 01-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #11

Core is now $15 at Costco.

The fact that it is a non issue for replacement is the main feature. Plus selling Interstate batteries, only makes it more worthwhile! Any brand, and any size, is able for core return.

You should always return any battery that is questionable before its warranty expiration date. Because if there is reason to believe that the battery is not 100%, there is a good reasons to believe it will leave you stranded!!!
Ask me how I know.
kd7ctk
Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #12

I'm costco fan myself on both batteries and tires.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #13
sam

Default No Costco in my area

Wish we had a Cotsco some where near my home. I heard on tele. that they only are in areas with high income people.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Wish we had a Cotsco some where near my home. I heard on tele. that they only are in areas with high income people.
The closest one to me is Pittsburgh. We have a Sam's Club in Erie.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #15

Seems to me there used to be one in St Catharines. that can't be too far, Sam.
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Don't know about that, Sam. There are two in Bakersfield, CA and trust me, that's not a high rent area!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #17
sam

Default Cotsco

We have a Sams club fifteen minutes away from my house. Just relocated and built a brand new club. No offense to anyone. I will not pay for a passport or an enhanced drivers license to go into Canada. In the summer time it can easily be three hrs. to cross the border. Canadian money is only worth about 89cents on the dollar. However many Canadians find it worth a trip across the border to shop at our USA stores. Our Factory outlet mall just completed a huge expansion. The parking lot seems to be jammed full on the weekends and our holidays. I can buy a gallon of skim milk for $1.95 at Aldi and Canadians tell me their milk is $8.00 a gallon. It is common to see shoppers with carts full of gallons of milk that they take home and freeze.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

We have four Sam's Clubs and one Costco here out in the West Texas town of El Paso and the parking lots are always full of vehicles from South of the border. Like Sam says, it can be a three hour wait for each direction.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 PM   #19
sam

Default Sams club and Costco

I wish we had a Costco near me as I believe both would be well patronized. We have a BJ club about 45minutes one way from my house. I don't go as the travel time isn't worth it to me. Then if something is defective it is a long way to go for returns. Same scenario with Lowes.