Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 12-12-2016, 07:07 AM   #1

Default Horizontal Wood Trim Coming Loose

On the sofa/bunk end, on both ends of our 2310, owned one week, the trim is coming up, looks buckled but when pressed down, fits. My husband says it looks like they had used contact cement at the factory. Has anyone dealt with this repair and knows what will work and look the best? Thank you.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

Older trailers had oval head brass screws with finishing washers to hold the strip down. That made it easy to remove them to service the cable pulleys. Our 2310H doesn't have screws either but I haven't any lifting yet. I would go to the local hardware and get some screws and washers, maybe #10 x 1".

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Site Team

I have a 2703 and my LOWER half, like RichR says, is screwed down with fancy washers to facilitate lubing the cables. All the way around. However, the TOP boarder trim wood is stabled down. Looks to be factory. I have yet to remove that outer trim, but I must understand that there is wood beneath that trim. Either way, the repair (if any) would start with removal, cleaning the glue off and either re-gluing or small crowned staples can be used. Just my suggestion.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

When dear husband and I were winterizing our Hi-Lo and securing various things inside for the winter, I noticed that the trim work inside over the entrance door had fallen. He said the same thing that Brookside said regarding lack of proper contact cement or glue; there were no solid crews or such, possibly a staple or two. The trim probably fell as we continually go in and out of that door, maybe even slam it a few times. But I don't think we are talking about the same trim work in the same area of the Hi-Lo. Our model is a 2009 and, I believe, your model is a 2010, which leads me to believe that Hi-Lo must have cut a few corners (lack of screws and substituting cement) when producing their last model years before dissolving the company.

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Ok, perhaps it's the corner trims we're talking about! Those are also stapled on my unit. One of the POs had re-glued the trim covering the ceiling joints and made somewhat of a mess in several places, I filled the holes, sanded and reset the screws, thus a re-paint of the ceiling. Looks good to me.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

Actually, it is what lies in front of the window, maybe 2" to 3" wide and it would be on the top portion of the trailer. I'm thinking with the extreme cold that it might be better to wait until the weather is warmer to mess with it as it is sort of more brittle than bendy right now. Still running 20 degrees colder than normal.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
sam

Default Post a picture of the area of concern.

I'm sure that you can fix this in the better weather. I leave my self a sticky note on the counter so I can fix anything that needs attention in the spring. Dh wants to put in a new water heater come spring. Walmart has a vast assortment of glues. HD should have anyhardware that you need.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Brook, just a thought, if glue didn't work the first time, why would it work this time? When you get it off, see if there is wood under it. If yes, ring nails (used in paneling) can be used, set in, filled, if you wanted to make them nearly disappear, or small crowned staples. Mine was done this way at Hi Lo factory.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #9

We have high humidity now coupled with cold temps so we'll get to this in better weather and I'll try to remember to come and update. Thanks All!