Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Hot water heater

We have a 2way water heater in our 2709 Tow Lite. We have noticed that some people turn off their hot water heaters during the day time. Is there any benifit to turning off the water heaater when not in use?

majordad

majordad274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordad274 View Post
We have a 2way water heater in our 2709 Tow Lite. We have noticed that some people turn off their hot water heaters during the day time. Is there any benifit to turning off the water heaater when not in use?

majordad
We never do. The heater in our trailer seems to be very well insulated and runs only occasionally (unless we are using hot water). And, when it turns on to "maintain temperature", it doesn't stay on long.

I've made several posts here about how long the propane lasts when we camp. I've only gone through one tank in two weeks of boondock camping.

- Jack

Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordad274 View Post

majordad
Jack & Janet pretty much hit nail on head, but I am old school, and only light "anything" when I need it. I am just the waste not want not, type of person... I dont open a pop until I want to drink it either. Its just habit, might save me 50 cents, per weekend trip, by not having it running all the time, I dont know that figure is anything than "what I guess".

My only other thought, and not just tring to argue for argueing sake, is... Every-thing man has at his use, wears out eventually, from light bulbs to electric fans, trailers and tires... everthing has a usage-life-span.
2 sides to that coin as well, so does it wear out faster or does it rot from not getting used?

My history also is buying used older and stuff, never "new" anything (except my computers, lol). So about the time I let the waterheater run all weekend boon-docked, when I didnt need the hot water per se, when I DO want to goto take the shower, something goes wrong and needs fixed, LOL.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #4

i don't use the hot water heater in my unit, i heat up water on the cook top if needed for washing dishes and shower in a shower house at the park where staying. if boondocking a bar of biodegradable soap and the lake work well.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #5

I agree with Jack and Janet, light it and leave it. When I first light mine it runs 10 or 20 minutes then rarely. I think that lighting then turning it off then lighting it again would, with the large temerature fluctuations, add more wear and tear than leaving it on maintaining it at the same temperature range. It was designed to be left on for a week at a time. If the engineers at Atwood had not done a good job of that they would be out of business. Like the fridge once it is at temperature it doesn't take much propane to keep it running.
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the responses. My first thought was light it and leave it on but I've only been rv ing for about a year and still can learn a lot from other people.

majordad

majordad274 is offline   Reply With Quote