Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 08-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #21

My 2009 manual says to use type A or DEXRON 11 automatic transmission fluid in the pump reservoir. I recently saw a posting that reported using certain and definitely NOT using other fluids. Will someone please repeat that information so I purchase the correct fluid.

Several years ago I added fluid to the pump but have not needed to do so again and wish to have some with me 'just in case'.

You don't need to read my story about how that decision 'finally' happened after friends were certain it was an electrical problem and tore into my switches, etc. with their screwdrivers and testers. It does help to read the manual first.

RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #22

Yes, my device is a 3 amp charger and maintainer, with a quick connector for each battery. I rotate the charger between the boat and cars when needed.

Its my understanding that the Fortron Power inverter will charge the battery when plugged into shore power or while connected to tow vehicle. Sound correct?

Trblandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #23

Any of the older dexron 2,3,4 will work.
ran 2 cables with 100 amp anderson plug through box and hanging down and have another anderson plug with pigtail to hook to charger or to the battery on my tow dolly to give it extra juice when moving camper around yard. Will post picture of setup if i can figure how. john
fernjohntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #24

Dear Members,
I have been a member for sometime and have used all your great posts and have never replied. I have owned Hi-lo since 1991 and presently own 1998 Classic 26R. I had the cylinder rebuild because the seals were shot. A few months ago the battery died and I learned you need a fully charged operational battery to raise the top.
The last issue was losing fluid from some corrosion on the hydraulic metal lines somewhere in the underneath. The line was covered in fluid and you could see pitting. I removed the line and had a shop build the new line form rubber ratted 5500 psi, Hi-lo needs 2,200 psi and pump is rated about 3,500. The rubber line is easier to maneuver back in place. The fittings on the new hose were male fitting which were turned directly into the cylinder and the pump. Because of the cables near the cylinder intake, you need to start the fitting on one side of the cables and finish on the other. You also need to use the pink teflon thick tape to seal the fittings. The pump fitting was a breeze. The 3/8" inch hose is wider than the original metal pipes so more fuid is pump into the cylinder and the top raises and lowers a bit faster.
While I was down there I had the chance to clean the guide bar and lubricate it which is the only item requiring some maintenance, not much because since 1978 it had never been done.
When you recharge the fluid use the Automatic Transmission fluid noted above. As you put in fluid to raise the unit you may put in more but you need to push the top above the safety bar to be able to lower. The new hose and fittings cost about $80 bucks, the same hydraulic shop can rebuild the cylinder for $150, no need to spend $400 to $500 on a new cylinder. The motor to the pump is a standard auto starter motor easily replaced.
Thanks to Hi-lo for taking generic and available systems into their wonderful creations and to all the members especially the senior members for taking the time and sharing their knowledge.
Being in South Florida I am preparing for the Cat 4 Dorian expected to hit by Monday.
Fred
frekatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #25

This is the set up I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190830_132845.jpg (410.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190830_132829.jpg (296.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190830_132819.jpg (246.8 KB, 4 views)

fernjohntexas is offline   Reply With Quote