Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

Default Jacking a Hi Lo

I just purchased a 78 Hi Lo 25ft. It hasn't been moved in a few years and the tires are sunk in the ground a little. After going through several threads, I found that jacking up the Hi Lo can damage the frame. This was mostly noted on leveling the camper. I want to try to jack up the camper enough to get some 2x6x8 under the wheels to aid in pulling it out and check the tires and see if they are locked up. Can I put a floor jack under the main frame supports and jack it up safely. I assume that I can, but want to make sure. This project is going to be an adventure.

photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobob View Post
I just purchased a 78 Hi Lo 25ft. It hasn't been moved in a few years and the tires are sunk in the ground a little. After going through several threads, I found that jacking up the Hi Lo can damage the frame. This was mostly noted on leveling the camper. I want to try to jack up the camper enough to get some 2x6x8 under the wheels to aid in pulling it out and check the tires and see if they are locked up. Can I put a floor jack under the main frame supports and jack it up safely. I assume that I can, but want to make sure. This project is going to be an adventure.
Everything I have read on jacking up a Hi-Lo is exactly as you stated, placing a jack under the frame. A jack should never be placed under the axle as it could result in a bent axle.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Garry is correct. Place the jack under the longitudinal frame as close to an axle as possible, but not under the axle. If you have tandem axles, putting the jack between the axles would be ideal if that is possible. Once you get the wheels off the ground, you should be able to spin them by hand if they are not locked up.

- Jack
Old 09-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #4

Thanks, going over to work on it today. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #5

Be careful of the propane line that runs Parrallell with the driver side frame rail. Mine was severely bent and had to be replaced
quickfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #6

I routinely put 4 jack stands under my camper during storage. I lower the tongue jack as low as I can and put a set of jack stands as high as possible just behind the rear axle on the side beams. I then raise the tongue jack until the wheels are completely off the ground and put a set of jack stands close to the front axle on the side beam and then lower the tongue jack until some of the front load is on the front jack stands but also shared by the tongue jack. load is off the tires and evenly shared by the 5 jacks.
Beach Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #7

I have leaf springs with tandem axles, so when I try to drive the front tires up on a few boards, the rear axle drops a little and I cannot get the rear tires off the ground.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

I think that I am going to try it this way. It looks safe and easier to do. BTW, for those of you that have a L on the lug bolt on one side and a R on the bolt for the other side. You must turn the lug in the opposite direction for the L side when removing them.
https://youtu.be/fMCYLJVm6Xw