Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 05-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #1

Default Just wondering what tools and such to carry

Hi, I only have so much storage as we all do. I never been camping in a camper on the road before. what all tools should I look to take along with me? what all should I take along with me for emergencies, and for general having a good time, cooking, etc? what all do you usually carry with you. I have very limited space. I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. any advice would be welcomed as far as what I should try to stow away with me for breakdowns etc. I have spent 3 winters in campers, tho year round, but not on the road.
thank you.

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #2

Hello,

Haven't been at it long but have already found the following invaluable:

A scissor jack to be able to raise the trailer front when connecting/disconnecting to/from the Jeep so as to get the stupid pad thingy in and out of the actual trailer hitch jacking post.

A mega-ton hydraulic jack, should I actually have to change a wheel.

Some serious 1/2" drive gear to handle the lug-nuts for the very same reason.

An LED flash-light with re-chargeable batteries and a AA battery charger.

AAA battery charger for the all-important DVD/TV remotes.

Of course a square-drive screw-driver but also a cross-point and a flat-point screw-driver because none of the accessories have "hi-lo" screws.

I also take some pliers because sometimes the city-water connection needs a bit of help to stop it dripping.

As to cooking, that would be your call . . .

HTH,

Ted

Luisa48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

sounds like a good start especially the megaton hydraulic jack for tires, and the screw drivers. lol thanks it sounds like a great start. mike
Old 05-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
sam

Default What cooking gear to take

I plan out my menu. Then I would pretend I was cooking it ah home. Then you will see what cooking utensils and pots you need. If possible keep a tote in your truck with cooking gear if no room in your HiLo. I had tons of stuff from my Pop Up days. In other words I have all my cooking utensils,pots and pans in the HiLo. Take paper and pen with you to write down anything you need or forgot. Garage sales are a cheap place to get supplies. Don't forget dishsoap and matches,long stove lighter. Toilet paper is a must. Search the net for a list of camping supplies. Paper products are lighter and make good fire starters. I like several rolls of paper towels and extra grocery bags for garbage.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #5

Off the top of my head, I keep the following. I'll update when I look again.

A bottle jack with a broad base
A jack stand
Needle nose pliers
Small channel locks pliers
A small ratchet set
Torque wrench
LI driver with a bit to raise and lower jacks
driver set with square, x, torque, etc bits,
tape, epoxy, calk +gun
extra oil, coolant, transmission fluid
flashlight
breaker bar (a piece of pipe)
montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #6

I carry a standard set of metric and english sockets as well as screwdrivers and basic set of open end wrenches. small pipe wrench and large open end for my hitch bolts and screws. Channel lock/vice grips/pliars. fuses. multi meter. bottle jack. quick epoxy and metal in a tube stuff. GORILLA TAPE! wire stripper and wire nuts. small portable emergency 12 v wet cell with attached jumper cables and built in mini-compressor. rags. white spray grease in a can. small 12v pump for transferring water and something to carry water in (foldable 5 gallon water carriers.)

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

thank you for all the replies ,I am starting to get the idea. I have all the stuff mentioned to in my storage unit, for the camper. I just cleaned out the camper compartments of everything ,and I am starting from scratch. I have so many tools I couldn't possibly take them all. lol I do have the s-10 with a locking top cap on it too. I had a chance to get 1 of those fiberglass rooftop carriers, for 20 bucks but didn't get it idk? I want to put my generator all the way up against the cab in the back of the bed and chain it in. I may have to get a boat winch or come along to get it in and out. I cant lift it at all. its still in the box too. haven't even put oil in it yet. so I will need the propane tank in there also. im trying to figure out what would be best to do? never have done it before. lol thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #8

A 'good' dial type tire pressure gauge and a 3/8" drive torque wrench.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:29 PM   #9

Maestro

How big is that generator? I do carry most of my tools in the back of my truck in a tool box. However- just a basic set of wrenches, screwdrivers, and vice grips I suspect will solve most emergencies. Why do you need the propane tank in the back of your truck?

Rick

4x4
Old 05-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Rick, the generator is propane powered.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Site Team

Another safe tool is AAA Preferred card. Only had to use it once, save me $77. My TV lost it's fuel pump. Took two tow trucks, one for each. My cost? -0-
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #12

Hilltool ,its a 4000/3200 propane only generator. It's not all that big a all.
there's a pic of it in one of my posts. it weighs approx. 100 lbs. due to recovering from a left radical neck dissection oct 2016 to remove cancerous lymph nodes, I had base of tongue cancer, stage 4.
in 2015 a 7 level cervical laminectomy with fusion, from C3 to T2, 4 rods, 14 plates and 28 scews in my neck unrelated to the cancer, I was going quadrapalegic from my spine being pinched off.
then 2016 the 35 radiation treatments i finished those in feb 2016
I am still very ,very weak in my arms and shoulders now. I also have Meniere's disease and suffer from vertigo and dizziness and I am a btk left foot amputee. oh yeah i'm on crutches right now and have 2 stump operations coming up. one is june 12th. haven't been able but to spend 1 or 2 hours a day at the camper working.
I can barely lift and walk with 40 lb. right now. LOL that's the reason I will have to get a winch or boat crank or something oh my bad again, i though you wanted to know why i needed the winch or something, yeah like jack said, its propane only. i get carried away and write books! sorry LOL thanks guys
Old 06-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #13

i got that AAA application sitting on my stand right here.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #14

hey is that gorilla tape any good?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #15

A credit card and hope I don't have to use it.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #16
Site Team

Gorilla tape works. Expensive, but strong! But I always keep good electrical tape handy. I my biker days, I found it worked great as a tourniquet as well as medical and other handy uses.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #17
sam

Default Yep,Gorilla tape works good!!

DH used gorilla tape to secure the bundle of wires in the RV BR. The cloth around it was falling down. Walmart sells a small roll of Gorilla tape. Perfect for the RV. Not to start a war...but if I was going to travel I would pick up a policy from Coach net.I have heard good and bad about Good Sam and AAA. In years past we have had AAA and had good local service. Now we have emergency road service with our travelers ins. Had to use it twice. The first time was a nightmare. Had to be stranded on a hot day for four hours. Second time DH left the truck lights on and they came within a half hour.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #18

LOL Tree I used to use it at work when I cut myself and had no bandages, toilet paper and electrical tape. some of the girls that used to work for me would get cut ,I would tell them " oh just pack it with mud, and wrap some electrical tape around it, you'll be fine" most of them actually thought I was serious. lmao.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

I find Gorilla tape to be pretty impressive stuff. Just installed new aluminum gunnels on an old canoe and the gorilla tape did a better job of holding them on ( 17 ft and not pre-bent) while I riveted them than screw clamps combined with ratcheted straps. Gooey stuff to get off, though.

rick

4x4
Old 06-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #20

wow that is impressive.