Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Default leaky roof

got question I have 97 classic 24d got ceiling panel pulled down alittle see the sandwich top piece is thin plywood is this coated with liquid rubber the roof on top has 5 seams I want to know what type of roof I have like to use liquid rubber to reseal thx for any help

513operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #2

sorry also can I use liquid rubber over rv silicone last fall I did some minor touch ups or roof around vents etc

Old 03-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Some things don't stick to silicone. It's better to use Lexel instead of silicone caulk. You'll have to test the liquid rubber on the silicone to see if it will stick. If not, you'll probably have to remove and replace it.

- Jack
Old 03-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #4

thx been doing a lot of research today that's what ive been reading pro seal say on seams u can use 2 sided butyl tape but I will scrape all seams an use tape over seams for added protection- liquid roof I meant I know difference between liquid roof and liquid rubber lol thx again still need answer on type roof I have
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
sam

Default Roof material

As far as I know HiLo roofs are either metal or Rubber. Lexel caulk can be bought at ACE Hardware or Lowes or on line. If your roof leaks is it on the inside or outside. Post pictures so we can better advise you. Agree with Jack...silicone caulk will all have to be scraped off. Use Dicor self lap sealing around exterior AC,vents. Externabond tape is a good product to use.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #6

is the double sided butyl tape an the epdm liquid roof not good I'm gonna coat whole roof all my research I'm pro to liquid roof epdm an the lexel caulk ok but I feel the tape an scrappin silicone off an final coat of liquid roof should work ??? will look into the dicor but feel tape on seams should work thx
Old 03-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
Site Team

You CAN use EternaBond tape over silicone as long as the tape extends past any silicone to another trailer surface and bonds there. It WILL NOT bond to silicone! In fact, the "release" layer in a roll of EternaBond is a silicone coated film that is peeled off to expose the adhesive.

EternaBond is waterproof, and as long as it completely covers and adheres firmly completely around any opening, there should be no leakage.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

My 2003 Hi-Lo roof was sealed by the previous owner with something that looks like it was painted on there. Roof does not leak and seems to be in good condition. However, the cover sticks to it when it is hot. I am a concerned that having to peel the cover off may damage the roof. Any ideas? Do they a make a Teflon/no-stick cover?

WayneinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote