Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

Default Lean and tire wear on one side

I believe that the passenger side is leaning a bit. I had the bearings disassembled and packed for our upcoming trip to RMNP and my buddy said that tire was wearing more.

Any idea as to what would cause this?

I have a 2007 19T.

Polarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Too mch weight on one side or bent axle or low tire. Can you tell by looking? Have you measured each side?

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

Passenger side wheels/axles are prone to getting bent because of right turns and curbs/objects coming into contact. When parked on a level surface take a look at the wheels to see if they are in alignment with each other, top to bottom and front to back. If not, you likely have a bent axle.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

Oh wow. That sure doesn't sound good. I can't imagine it getting a bent axle. My buddy who did the bearings didn't see anything like that going on.

I wonder what that would entail to get fixed.

You can see as it sits on a level driveway that it's leaning slightly on the passenger side.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Polar, Just to be sure, are you talking about a lean when the top has been lowered? Or are you looking at it with the top raised? Big difference.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Polar, Just to be sure, are you talking about a lean when the top has been lowered? Or are you looking at it with the top raised? Big difference.
Tree
I noticed it with the top down.

I was having a discussion with my friend earlier too. He said that axle is not bent. He looked over it well.

We think it may have worn more on the passenger side because of the anti-sway kit that's on it.

I run a full size truck that really doesn't need it but it came with it when we bought it. The tension bar is on the passenger side. This could be the reason.

When we leave on our next trip I'm not going to use the tension bar...just the chain bars (or whatever they're called).
Old 06-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

POLAR

Do you think its leaning because you can “see” it leaning or because of the uneven tire wear? If it is the latter- once a tire starts to wear badly there is no stopping it. I had similar issue and when I switched from bias-ply to radials it stopped. However, I also had a small bent axle issue- you can get them straightened sometimes without having to replace them. If your weight -distribution hitch is out of alignment on the brackets on the trailer you can get an uneven distribution of weight back onto your trailer causing one side to be weighted more than the other and , thus, more downward force on one tire than the other-thus different wear patterns.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote