Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Default Looking at a 2006 22T Hi-Lo

I am going to Davidson, PA to look at a 2006 22T TowLite. The one in Hanover, PA sold yesterday before I could get there to look at it. The 2006 is in good clean condition however, there is a repair on the right rear top corner I would like some advice on to see if it is worth looking at? The dealer said it was due to the previous owner raising or lowering the unit when it was not level. I think it was backed into something. But i will need to check the bathroom interior to see if there is any damage to the wall or ceiling. He is willing to negotiate on the price.

Thank you,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo top right side.jpg (50.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo repair.jpg (35.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo Unit.jpg (41.6 KB, 12 views)

Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #2

Default More Pictures of the Hi-Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I am going to Davidson, PA to look at a 2006 22T TowLite. The one in Hanover, PA sold yesterday before I could get there to look at it. The 2006 is in good clean condition however, there is a repair on the right rear top corner I would like some advice on to see if it is worth looking at? The dealer said it was due to the previous owner raising or lowering the unit when it was not level. I think it was backed into something. But i will need to check the bathroom interior to see if there is any damage to the wall or ceiling. He is willing to negotiate on the price.

Thank you,

Mike
More Pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo sink and stove.jpg (46.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo Kitchen.jpg (42.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg hilo sofa.jpg (57.0 KB, 6 views)

Old 08-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Mike, the damage you noted looks to me like the trailer was backed into something, or, a crack in the rear cap developed and was allowed to spread. Either way, there's space under it so that there doesn't have to be damage to the underlying trailer.

I have a slightly smaller damaged section on our trailer when I backed it into a tree limb and I repaired it with caulk - think I did a better job than the one you are looking at. But there was no damage other than cosmetic.

From your pictures, the trailer looks a good find. Hope the price is equally good!

- Jack
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Same model as mine but I dont have the upper bunk, clean unit . I've seen these rear caps have stress cracks. There are replacements sold still but are exspensive. I've heared of people removing it off the trailer and repairing it on the backside with fiberglass.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #5

Agree with Jack. The only way that crack , in my opinion, happens by raising while not level is if the crack had already started and there was so much torque it expanded. But even that seems like a stretch. Big stretch. Sometimes I wonder why people seem to make stuff up when the truth would make more sense and have no greater negative impact.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

I have similar stress cracks, although not as long, on the front plastic cap of my unit. Not sure what caused it but I have always raised it while level so could of been from the previous owner. Didn't notice them until after I had bought the trailer. Drilled a hole at the end of the crack and sealed and am keeping an eye on it for further damage.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

Default 2006 towlite

Looked at this unit today and so not worth it!! We walked up to it and the seal on the back bathroom window was hanging down. The bottom ledge of the top door that seals to the bottom door was rotted off and sitting inside the unit. The valance box over the kitchen window was torn off from the screws that hold it down. There were water bubbles on the wall at the bottom of the bathroom window which means it leaks water. So anyone wanting to go look at this unit unless you want to do a lot of repairs to it, I would so not recommend it. I am going to be listing my 17T here on the forum when I get home to Michigan and try to see if we can get by to see tco2612's unit on our way home tomorrow. My wife likes the roominess of the 22T and would feel so much better packing it with her household stuff. :-) I need to order another refrigerator vent cover for the lower part of my unit. I raised it in MD on our way to NC and it got stuck between the seal of the upper part of the unit and the lower unit so needless to say you know the rest of the story.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
sam

Default Buying another HiLo

Ratmouser, Sorry this was such a bust for you. Hopefully another one will come along shortly for you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

Mike, thank you for saving me the trip. I was curious why it hadn't already sold, although I suspected the shoddy roof repair might have had something to do with that. Hope that both of us eventually find one that suits us.

BudS is offline   Reply With Quote