Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Default More Storage Mod

I had my '84 Funmaker since '97 and I've loved it every minute. For a 2-3 day stay it was almost perfect. the only problem /complaint I had was for long trips(we did a 5500 mile western US trip in 2010) there just was't enough storage even with carefull planin' and cramin'. I had a 1000 watt gen from Harbor Frieght and no place to put it. The only place I could think to put it was on the back so I built this box on the back. I took the old spare/hitch off and installed this box in it's place, then put the original back on behind it. It has 2 boxes, one for the gen and one for tools/gas etc. The center section is made of mesh just big enough to hold our folding table and a couple of nights firewood, campfire grill etc. It also is a great way to get to the bike rack I built for the top. Cost was around $150 including wire feed welder rental, and probably 6-8 hrs. labor. Beacuse the box blocks the original tail lights when traveling, I put new LED taillights on the rear of the box, a new tag holder and two fog lights for backing into pads after dark. Best 150 bucks I ever spent. No more taking the gen out every time we park. Always having firewood with me(as long as I don't take it out of state). The only thing I'm going to do later is replace the original tail lights with weatherproof(ie; marine)speakers, when I find the right ones. Makes my 17' a 19', and I'm sure it adds wight to the axle and dewieghts the tongue some, but I roll with an equalizer hitch and it still tows GREAT. HiLo should have offered these from the factory as an option. The only problem I've found with it is I have to be sure the rear jalouse window is closed(I found out the hard way) before lowering. Had to add "REAR WINDOW CLOSED" to pre-lowering checklist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0713[1].jpg (93.7 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0714[1].jpg (91.3 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0717[1].jpg (89.5 KB, 222 views)

Enchantedcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #2

I like this mod, thanks for posting with well defined photos. I need to make this modification to my 2007 24T.
Snowman829 is offline   Reply With Quote