Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #21
Site Team

Still no mice in my trailer after my hardware cloth and Pest Block improvements. No smell of dead ones either.

I had to do something similar to my Honda Accord. A rat had gotten into the engine compartment and found holes that led him or her into the AC filter and blower area. When the filter was checked at a periodic servicing, a whole bunch of juniper berries were found in there. I took the cowl behind the hood off and plugged all the entry points with hardware cloth held on with silicone caulk. I've also made and installed flashing LEDs in the engine compartments of my vehicles - they supposedly don't like the flashing lights.

Again, no new mouse or rat problems in my vehicles.

- Jack

JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #22

Jack

When do those lights flash? All the time? I love it. So when you pop the hood to check on the oil and such do you have flashing LEDs? Maybe the guys with the big rims and lights on them are just trying to keep rats out of the brake pads?

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #23
Site Team

Hi Rick - Yes, they're on all the time. They are LEDs, that are powered directly off the battery and they use a circuit that includes a couple resistors, a capacitor and an inexpensive transistor. Essentially, the capacitor charges through a resistor, and when the charge is high enough, it discharges through the transistor into the LED, lighting it briefly.

The blink rate is adjustable depending on the values chosen for the capacitor and resistors.

You can find several different circuits for these things online, I chose the simplest one I found.

They use very little current, but would eventually drain the battery if the vehicle was not driven. However, there are other "vampire" draws in a modern vehicle (clock, radio presets, ECMs, theft warnings, and so on) that draw even more current.

You can actually buy one of these things pre-built for about $50. Mine cost about $5 each.

I also leave the hoods up on the vehicles in the garage, because rats like "enclosed" places.

- Jack
Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Catlady View Post
Mice are supposed to be repelled by mint. I've heard that placing cotton balls with a few drops of peppermint oil around the camper and inside cabinets and drawers will repell them. Some people also use peppermint tea bags as an instant peppermint sachet. And they smell nice, too.
I decided to try this method this year. But, I'd like to know, "How often to you need to Renew the Peppermint on the Cotton Balls [weeks/Months]? I.e, How long is it effective?

Since I rarely unload mine, not all the accessibility avenues are reachable. I have noticed that the PO has caulked at least most of the penetrations on the outside, but don't know IF they got them all? I've also attempted this method in both the TV, but also other rarely used vehicles, as well as various places in this old Farm House. So far, after a few weeks, haven't had the normal Fall/Winter infestation!
Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #25

Default Refreshing peppermint oil mice repellant

To Answer Bruce from Kansas: from what I've read, the peppermint oil on the cotton balls needs to be refreshened monthly to be the most effective in repelling mice.
Camping Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #26

Thanks! Moth Balls were once effective throughout the seasons, but not so much any more. Possibly the Cedar Chips will not require renewal as much.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #27
Site Team

Still no mousies after my application of hardware cloth and pest barrier foam.

Bruce, I doubt the cedar chips will work as well as peppermint. But, I'll be interested in your results.

- Jack
Old 11-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #28

Either we have been lucky or they really work, but we have been putting Bounce dryer sheets in all the nooks and crannies throughout the trailer. We have not been bothered by mice since we started using them. Bounce seems to be the favorite brand that I have seen others using. They are quite potent and retain their potency for a long time.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #29

I was wondering why the previous owner had put approximately 100 dryer sheets all over our HiLo. Makes sense now.
Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #30

Less expensive than either mothballs or Peppermint too! Don't know why I didn't think of that a long time ago? Know it works for flies and other insects.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 11-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
I was wondering why the previous owner had put approximately 100 dryer sheets all over our HiLo. Makes sense now.
Makes the trailer silky soft, with no static electricity cling too!

- Jack
Old 11-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #32
Site Team

I crawl under the Hi Lo at night while the DSO shines an bright LED light in each cabinet and drawer and we work our way from stem to stern. As I see any light, I spray expanding foam at each hole around pipes, wires or cutouts. Next morning, I clean up any mess made and ensure each pile of dried foam is cut or shaped as not to look too bad or get in the way. On an older trailer I found 24 such holes. I felt as though some of them where big enough to allow a CAT to get in (kidding, of course!). No problems yet. But replacing the seal really helped. My daughters 5th wheeler uses a couple of plug-ins with peppermint vials during winter storage. It's amazing how strong they are when you first open the trailer for weekly checks, but her system works.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote