Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Default A note from KST (KoolSeal) on recoating aluminum roof

Dear Sirs:

Four years ago I coated the Aluminum roof on our Rv with Kool Seal 63600 per your recommendation I would like to recoat it again this spring or summer. Do I need to do any other prep work other than washing the roof. Would it be all right to clean it with TSP or would you recommend something else.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Gary,

Thanks for contacting KST.

Remove any loose or peeling product. Then, washing the roof with TSP is best. Bleach and water would work as well but TSP will be the most affective.
Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Daniel

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Gary, here in Aridzona we use tons of the Kool Seal and similar roof coatings by other names on our home roofs. And, as I've posted before, it can be used on awnings or any other fabric that you'd like to protect from rotting in the sun. My only caution would be to NOT apply it to an RV fabric cover, since it needs to "breath" and Kool Seal like coatings would totally block that.

I've recoated roofs several times, and the only preparation I've found necessary was to clean the dirt and other debris off with an ordinary garden hose and spray end. Then, the coating can be applied with a roller or brush (if the area is small). I'm sure TSP would be good, but I really doubt you need to be "anal" about the preparation. I DO get rid of visible dirt or damage, but it has never been a particularly time consuming process.

The cool coating I applied to the exposed surface of the awnings on my trailer and my home has held up perfectly. I did that about two years ago. The home awning is on the south side and is constantly exposed to the sun and other elements.

Personally, I think Kool Seal and its clones are nothing short of miraculous!

- Jack

Old 02-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Gary, here in Aridzona we use tons of the Kool Seal and similar roof coatings by other names on our home roofs. And, as I've posted before, it can be used on awnings or any other fabric that you'd like to protect from rotting in the sun. My only caution would be to NOT apply it to an RV fabric cover, since it needs to "breath" and Kool Seal like coatings would totally block that.

I've recoated roofs several times, and the only preparation I've found necessary was to clean the dirt and other debris off with an ordinary garden hose and spray end. Then, the coating can be applied with a roller or brush (if the area is small). I'm sure TSP would be good, but I really doubt you need to be "anal" about the preparation. I DO get rid of visible dirt or damage, but it has never been a particularly time consuming process.

The cool coating I applied to the exposed surface of the awnings on my trailer and my home has held up perfectly. I did that about two years ago. The home awning is on the south side and is constantly exposed to the sun and other elements.

Personally, I think Kool Seal and its clones are nothing short of miraculous!

- Jack
Jack, do you apply the Kool Seal over the sealant around the vents, A/C, etc?
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Jack, do you apply the Kool Seal over the sealant around the vents, A/C, etc?
Yes, I would do that. I haven't actually coated my trailer roof yet, just the exposed part of the awning fabric, but I would apply the elastomeric over all the calking. And, it certainly will not hurt to apply it over anything else you want to protect. I would put it over the eternabond tape I used to hold down my solar panels, for instance. I DON'T think I'd coat the A/C cover though, although I can't see it would hurt it.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I need to do my roof. What all would have to be removed?
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #6

Why , GAry and Ruben, are you coating? Is it leaking or is it just precautionary??

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCREYES View Post
I need to do my roof. What all would have to be removed?
Ruben, I don't think you'd have to remove anything. You can mask off anything you don't want to get the coating on.

Rick, I think it's not a bad precautionary measure. My trailer is under cover, so I haven't done it, but the elastomeric coatings are very protective.

- Jack
Old 02-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Why , GAry and Ruben, are you coating? Is it leaking or is it just precautionary??

Rick
Preventative.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Ruben, I don't think you'd have to remove anything. You can mask off anything you don't want to get the coating on.

Rick, I think it's not a bad precautionary measure. My trailer is under cover, so I haven't done it, but the elastomeric coatings are very protective.

- Jack
I looked into RV Armor and they wanted $3600 for any roof up to 30'. A five gallon pail of Kool Seal is about $70 here at Wally World. Now all I need is the weather to cooperate. it was in the low 70's Sunday and 48 for the past two days.

Welcome to RV Armor - Home
Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #10

When I would reseal my roof, I would take the vent covers off. That way I could get the kool seal to cover the caulking around the vents. I would use a paint brush to go around the vents, antenna, solar panel, stink pipe, roof seams, and the end caps. Also need the brush to coat the roof edges where it curves down to the side walls. Then I would roll the rest of the roof. I would let it dry and give it a second coat the next day. I did this every 2 - 3 years. Better safe than sorry. Never had any roof leaks. Even took the a/c cover off and spray painted the gray lower half of the a/c white. Don't know if the white paint helped any but it sure made it look better.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
When I would reseal my roof, I would take the vent covers off. That way I could get the kool seal to cover the caulking around the vents. I would use a paint brush to go around the vents, antenna, solar panel, stink pipe, roof seams, and the end caps. Also need the brush to coat the roof edges where it curves down to the side walls. Then I would roll the rest of the roof. I would let it dry and give it a second coat the next day. I did this every 2 - 3 years. Better safe than sorry. Never had any roof leaks. Even took the a/c cover off and spray painted the gray lower half of the a/c white. Don't know if the white paint helped any but it sure made it look better.

Bob
I also read somewhere that you should put the two coats in different directions, front to back, then side to side....or vise versa.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #12

Quote:

Rick
just precautionary
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
sam

Default Kool seal to roof

I also think it is well worth the effort to seal your roof no matter what kind of a roof you have. We found it very helpful to put blue painters tape at the edge of the roof where it meets the side. This gives you a crisp paint job. After applying the second coat gently remove the tape while the product is wet.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #14

Which Kool Seal do I use if I have the rubber roof?
low pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by low pressure View Post
I don't have a rubber roof, so I may be wrong, but I THINK there is a specific coating for rubber roofs. I'm not sure an elastomeric paint would work properly on them. As I said though, I may be totally wrong on this.

Ruben, you're right about the way to apply the coating. It's best to use two coats, applied in crossing directions. This simply tends to prevent "thin" spots.

- Jack
Old 02-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #16

Quote:

Rick
When I acquired my camper 4 years ago the roof leaked like a sieve. I patched it with eternabond tape and then coated the whole works with kool seal. I then replaced all the ceiling panels along with a lot of other stuff and I really don't want to do that again I haven't had a leak since, but I don't want to take the chance. Watch what number kool seal you buy, the cheapest I found 63600 was online for $111 plus tax.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by low pressure View Post
Rubber roofs require coatings made specifically for them.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #18
sam

Default Rubber roof coating.

We have a 1990 25ft. classic HiLo. We used a primmer and a top coat from Dicor. Do a internet search for the latest products from Dicor. I see a new product advertised in Trailer Life magazine. You should be able to get the correct product at your local RV place. This is much cheaper than roof replacement.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #19

I believe Kool Seal makes sealer for the metal roof and rubber roof. Make sure you read the can label as both cans look the same.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote