Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-03-2017, 04:28 PM   #1

Default One Side Collapsed, opportunity to buy

I have an opportunity to buy a Hi-Lo that has one side collapsed. One side appears to be all the way down, the other about half way. Owner moved it in this condition for a few miles. 3 questions. How much damage could have been done to the structure in this situation?. In another thread, a reference to a farm jack was made. The owner says if I can provide jack, we can get top to go down so I can trailer home, 55 miles. So farm jacks come in different sizes, do I need 60 inch model ? And what surface will the jack bottom rest on? If the seal/gasket is damaged, can it be replaced ? I don't know the exact model, it is a 1987 approximately 21 feet long. I have no access before Friday, Price is extremely attractive, and has many interested parties. Any one have advice on what to look out for? Roof is said to be intact.

Techdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Unless it's free, I'd pass based on the description of the current condition. I suspect it has serious damage.

I think a farm jack that raises 4 ft would work. But if one side is "up", you'll need at least two, possibly 4.

- Jack

Old 04-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
sam

Default Follow Jacks advice

Please pass up this HiLo. You deserve to spend your time camping not fixing!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #4

Default Thanks for the advice

Life is short, but finances are very tight. I have NO experience with HI-LO campers, had an old class A MH 30 years ago. I am just looking for suggestions on what structural repairs may be needed. Interior cosmetics are not important. I have read threads on replacing hydraulics and cables, just worried that vertical telescoping frame structures may be bent. Thanks to all who respond. Just hoping someone has seen this failure and has useful advice.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

I don't think there are any vertical telescoping frame parts. Just the cables have broken or pulled out on that side. There are channels on the outside like the bottom of a drawer slide that keep it aligned up and down, you can see them on the outside. You could lower it with 2 regular floor jacks and a couple of 2x4's. It might take some lift, brace, reset jack, lift, brace etc. Get the low side up so it's even then reverse the process to lower evenly. Just do it from the outside using the lip and a peice of 2x4 to spread the weight.
Damage wise if the cables just broke not to hard to fix. if they pulled out then the whole lower lip of the top if not the whole top is rotten.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
sam

Default Good advice given

If your finances are very tight I don't see you being able to fix this HiLo. It might require a couple of thousand dollars in parts.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

Mine was like that and the cables detached because of rot. I patched it back to usable status for a few hundred and a month of Sundays. It's not pretty but it's warm and dry as everything besides the roof was nice.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

sam just depends what the problem is ya know. it needs looked at closer that's all. may be a steal! I do doubt a couple grand tho! I would inspect it further then make an informed decision on it. just don't walk in blind, guesstimating expenses. there are lots of good bargains out there to be had. CAVEAT EMPTOR YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHATS WRONG
not guess, what it could be. It could be 100 things, or 1 cheap little thing. ya know? you can't take guesses on this sort of deal. jmo!
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
sam

Default Good advice

I agree. You have to know exactly what is wrong to be able to gague the amt. of money needed for materials. Even a simple piece of lumber can cost you eight dollars. It always costs you more time and $ than you think.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

yes it will if you don't inspect it well and know exactly what you have to do to it. then get a materials list from places as cheap as you can find. I go to habitat for humanity, portage restore in kent, ohio. I get 8 foot 1x4's for 50 cents. may be painted white or have holes drilled in them, they aint perfect by any means, but 50 cents for an 8 foot 1x4 is a s steal. also those 2 counter tops for 2 dollars.? perfect counter tops also. I thought .25 cents at first I was thinking of the halogen bulbs I got. 25' of vinyl garage door bottom seal new in box, for 3.00. 25 feet of plastic lawn edging, same price nib. shower hose and nozzle brand new, 6ft of hose, 3 bucks. corner molding and flat seam molding, 25 cents for 8 feet sections. much, much more. any kind of lite bulb you can think of all for under 2 bucks. braided gas lines, drier cords. etc. wire, plugs, switches, boxes, covers. nails, screws, etc. pennies on the dollar. I also would say tow it like it is, ya aint gonna hurt a darn thing more than it is already.. go slow., take smooth roads. bungee down the hi side. buy it you may get 1 heck of a deal, but do inspect it thoroughly first. like buying a wrecked car that's all. lol I would do it. myself.
you can always make more money." jmo I know its not worth much. may not be in the perfectionist category where I am not but it will do the job and look half ways decent not perfect, if you don't have thousands to spend it wont be perfect. I had a 1976 predator I fixed up it turned out well. I paid 850 and made back 850, lived in it for 5 months. it had nothing in it either. I kept everything. except my cushions from the hi-low.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #11

My plan originally was to just use the frame, axles, tires, appliances, etc an build a dual axle teardrop. After pulling the top sides apart I thought i could just fix it and get camping which I did. Now we bought a new regular travel trailer and I'm back to wanting to tear up the Towlite and make something else. My wife wants to just get rid of it. I will probably just put it on Craigslist for $3000. If it sells fine, if not the parts are worth at least $2000 to me and I'll keep it. I paid $1100 for it and did a few other things besides the repairs, maybe $400 total.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #12

that's awesome man! great glad to hear that! ya did good. most wives want to get rid of everything men value the most, I said most not all ! they don't see things like we do. not a bad thing just sayin. man I wouldn't tear it up tho. I am from edinburg, ohio. I live like 10 minutes from west branch state park, and 25 minutes from berlin reservoir. nice t meet you.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #13

Thanks to all who responded. Trailer was sold to someone who didn't want to inspect or raise roof before purchase. Seller did not give me an exact address, so I did not see. I did find out that a 17 foot self contained HI LO was sold at one time. I am still looking for an inexpensive camping trailer, perhaps something that needs mechanical repair. Again THANKS to all.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
sam

Default Sorry it didn't work out

I sure their is a HiLo with your name on it. More should be coming for sale in the spring. Especially when the weather gets better. Two inches of snow today then 50degrees tomorrow followed by 70degrees on Monday. TypoI'm
Old 04-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #15

I have seen them at vehicle salvage auctions with the top stuck down. Once that happens to anything 20 years old they end up as salvage. I have also seen other nice campers that wouldn't be that had to fix if you weren't shooting for perfect. My friend bought a big 5th wheel super cheap that was cut perfectly in 1/2 from a big pine tree falling across it. The kitchen bath and upper bed is good, the rest bad. He chopped it right there, made an open flatbed for the back and boom, cheap toyhauler. Not the prettiest thing but very perfect for what he needs.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #16

Default ha thats way cool

that don't happen too often and toy haulers are the way to go now. everyone wants them. congrats on the sale. I can't ever shoot for perfect lol I shoot for it but can't do it.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #17

do anyone know where I might be able to get the little shower clips for my 1992 Hi-Lo Funlite. I have tore out the ceiling above the tub because of water damage. all the little clips are rusty and most broken. OR any suggestions of how I might get a shower curtain back up there when I replace the wood?
lisakjcowgirl2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #18

This place has most types
Curtain Tracks, Snaps & Drawer Hardware at Trailer Parts Superstore
Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #19

Thanks you so much. I did find what I was looking for

lisakjcowgirl2016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying advice, collapsed roof