Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 11-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #1

Default Possible to reduce the size of the bunk?

Does anyone think it would be possible to reduce the size of the overhead bunk, to closer to a twin size? This assumes the person sleeping on the bunk can fit across the width of the trailer of course. I'm not sure if that's how you sleep with the bunk as it is now.

I am interested in the 15 or 17 Hi-Lo, but we have 2 people and 1 person would need to sleep on the bunk. As it is now, it looks like the bunk renders almost all of the seating area/floorspace underneath fairly unusable for anything except sleeping when the bunk is in the "down" position in these models.

I thought maybe if the bunk only stuck out half as far into the interior space, support legs could still rest on the sides of the trailer box. I don't know if this is possible, either by modifying the truss that is there now or building a replacement. If a replacement could be fabricated that was the right size, it doesn't look like it would be tough to attach one end to the existing hinges and attach the existing legs farther out, so that it functioned just as the original bunk did.

In some photos I see cables hanging down from the ceiling and attached near the edge of the bunk. Are these just for stability while raising/lowering the bed, or do they actually support it when it's in the "down" position? I thought the legs provided the support, but I wasn't sure.

Is there much difference in how much interior space is "covered" by the bunk in the 17 vs the 15? All the 15's and 17's for sale are quite a distance from me, so I have not had a chance to go inside one yet.

bpowers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #2

If you reduced the size of the bunk to a twin you would only gain about 6 inches. The mattress size on the bunks are approximately 44" x 81". The problem I see with doing that is that the ceiling mounts that hold half the weight of the bunk would have to be moved, finding something to attach to in the ceiling would be a problem. Those would have to have a solid attachment. The cables are only for support of the bunk while raising and lowering.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Site Team

AND, if you get the 17ft trailer, the area under the bunk converts to a king-sized sleeping platform. Plenty of room for two people in sleeping bags which is how we use ours. If you're not over 6ft tall, you can sleep longitudinally, so no one has to crawl over the other if someone gets up at night.

- Jack
Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
If you reduced the size of the bunk to a twin you would only gain about 6 inches. The mattress size on the bunks are approximately 44" x 81". The problem I see with doing that is that the ceiling mounts that hold half the weight of the bunk would have to be moved, finding something to attach to in the ceiling would be a problem. Those would have to have a solid attachment. The cables are only for support of the bunk while raising and lowering.
I'm not at my trailer, so I don't remember exactly how the bunk frame looks, but I believe the bunk width could be reduced with the mounts and mechanism left intact, and the bunk frame modified instead. I would take the frame and cut off the aft frame members that run from side to side. Then I would re-weld these at the location needed for the new bunk width. I would leave the bunk frame members that run down the sides, forward and aft the original length. I sketched my idea in the attached drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo Bunk Frame Mod.jpg (11.1 KB, 22 views)

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
sam

Default Bunk modification

I would actually use the bunk in whatever model you purchase before making any modifications. Altering the bunk could be a deal breaker in a resale. Just a thought.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #6

These are all great thoughts. When I obtain a trailer, it will be my first time towing anything and I am a little nervous about that. So, I've been trying to envision the very smallest size RV that I think might work for us. I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowers27 View Post
These are all great thoughts. When I obtain a trailer, it will be my first time towing anything and I am a little nervous about that. So, I've been trying to envision the very smallest size RV that I think might work for us. I appreciate all the feedback.
I can relate as I am not very experienced at towing either and ended up with a (24 ft.) trailer that was a little larger than initially planned. Don't be too nervous as it gets easier the more you do it!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
sam

Default trailer towing

What size trailer you get depends on the tow rating of your tow vehicle. What vehicle would you be towing with?
Old 12-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
What size trailer you get depends on the tow rating of your tow vehicle. What vehicle would you be towing with?
I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado extended cab, regular bed, with v8 and automatic transmission. Not a 4WD.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Site Team

Your Silverado will have no problem pulling a 15 or 17 ft trailer.

One other consideration when you are factoring size of the trailer into the equation is where you plan to use it (and how you use it). A smaller trailer, such as a 17 footer is much easier to take into less developed camping areas, such as National Forest Service campgrounds or even National Parks - some of them have very small parking spaces in their campgrounds and are size-restricted. And, if you like "primitive" camping, where there's no "facilities" such as picnic table, fire ring, etc., then I don't think you want a big trailer. We camped in a "pull-through" site at Rocky Mountain National Park one year that was just barely big enough due to a tree on one side and boulders on the other. (I should have backed into it.)

However, if you plan to stay at private, highly developed campgrounds that offer full hookups and other amenities such as swimming pools, then great big trailers are fine. Additionally, if you like to spend your camping time indoors, a larger trailer is much more comfortable.

One thing to consider when pulling a trailer - you have to be careful not to get into a place where there's not enough room to turn around and drive back out. It IS possible to back a trailer up, and you have to to get into some camping spots, but you don't want to back the thing over miles of primitive road.

The longer the trailer you pull, the wider the turn you have to make.

- Jack
Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowers27 View Post
I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado extended cab, regular bed, with v8 and automatic transmission. Not a 4WD.
Our first trailer was an Estrelle (out of business) which was probably a 15 footer, the next was a 1999 21T and we now have the 2705T. You do have to be more selective with campsites with the longer trailer, but if you have enough space, I find the longer trailer easier to back in than the old Estrelle, though I'm still not an expert at the task.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
Our first trailer was an Estrelle (out of business) which was probably a 15 footer, the next was a 1999 21T and we now have the 2705T. You do have to be more selective with campsites with the longer trailer, but if you have enough space, I find the longer trailer easier to back in than the old Estrelle, though I'm still not an expert at the task.
You're not the only one to make this observation, Garry. A shorter trailer is easier to jackknife, which is not something you really want to do.

For anyone new to towing, the trick to backing is learning when to stop turning the trailer and when to "countersteer" to follow the trailer. Most newbies do this too late and they end up starting to jackknife.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You're not the only one to make this observation, Garry. A shorter trailer is easier to jackknife, which is not something you really want to do.

For anyone new to towing, the trick to backing is learning when to stop turning the trailer and when to "countersteer" to follow the trailer. Most newbies do this too late and they end up starting to jackknife.

- Jack
I concur! Whenever I try to back my little 12' landscape trailer, it's quite comical (to those observing). My middle name is "Jacknife!"
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
sam

Default Backing a trailer

DH has to back and correct many times to get our one axle utility trailer in the driveway. The 25ft. HiLo with two axles is much easier to back up. Just don't ask the wife to do this!! I have perception problems.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

those cables on the front sides of the bunk have a purpose of allowing the proper swing to raise and lower the bunk by a single person. if you move or remove them you may not have the proper balance

robobd is offline   Reply With Quote