Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 04-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Default Question about my 1968 Hi-lo

Ok so I haven't researched this but thought I would start with this and go from here. The guy I got my 1968 20' HiLo from told me that the new sewer hose connector is bigger than the stock connection on the under side of my camper, is this true? If so can I change it out to a modern one or can I find one that will fit the stock one?

We do not plan on using the toilet any more than absolutely needed. I also do not like the fact that I have to slide under the camper to connect the hose, is there a fix that anyone has already done with success?

Thank you

Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
Site Team

I wouldn't like sliding under the trailer to connect a hose either. Are you sure you have to do it that way? On my trailer, the connection point is easily accessible at the left rear corner. Possibly, yours is missing an extension that would also adapt it to the modern sewage hose?

Maybe if you posted a picture showing the outlet of your black tank, with enough of the surrounding trailer to orient our view, one of us would have a solution for you.

- Jack

Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

I hadn't thought about whether the connector on mine was standard or not, but now that you mention it, I will check it out. I know that the parts are ABS plastic and RV parts and supplies places sell a variety of adapter elbows. So either cutting off the non-standard piece and using a standard one after an elbow, or a connector from the size you have with an elbow and standard outlet, might work.

Vintage trailer supply may have what you need: Thetford Valves & Fittings
Good luck,
Vick
VPed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I wouldn't like sliding under the trailer to connect a hose either. Are you sure you have to do it that way? On my trailer, the connection point is easily accessible at the left rear corner. Possibly, yours is missing an extension that would also adapt it to the modern sewage hose?

Maybe if you posted a picture showing the outlet of your black tank, with enough of the surrounding trailer to orient our view, one of us would have a solution for you.

- Jack
I will slide under it again on my days off and get pictures and try to get them where you can see about where it is located. I am almost certain it comes straight down and that is it, but will check Sunday hopefully before it starts raining.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPed View Post
I hadn't thought about whether the connector on mine was standard or not, but now that you mention it, I will check it out. I know that the parts are ABS plastic and RV parts and supplies places sell a variety of adapter elbows. So either cutting off the non-standard piece and using a standard one after an elbow, or a connector from the size you have with an elbow and standard outlet, might work.

Vintage trailer supply may have what you need: Thetford Valves & Fittings
Good luck,
Vick
Like I stated I will get under it Sunday and check for myself, the guy I got it from might have been confused.

I do not really like the fact that there isn't a grey water tank on it but back then it wasn't a issue as such as it is today. So gotta figure something out for that.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Mine sure looks like it is a Thetford style. It only has two of the ears for coupling up a hose, as opposed to the four on modern RVs. Take a look at this adapter: Thetford to Valterra Adapter It sure looks like what is required to connect a modern hose to our setup and you will see smaller diameter and two ears vs. larger diameter and four ears on the outlet side. Mine is also straight down.

As for the lack of a grey water tank, I was looking at the portable tanks they have with casters on them. It seems like a decent enough solution as there is little room to add a grey water tank with reasonable volume anywhere out of the way enough to not leave it on the first speed bump.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPed View Post
Mine sure looks like it is a Thetford style. It only has two of the ears for coupling up a hose, as opposed to the four on modern RVs. Take a look at this adapter: Thetford to Valterra Adapter It sure looks like what is required to connect a modern hose to our setup and you will see smaller diameter and two ears vs. larger diameter and four ears on the outlet side. Mine is also straight down.

As for the lack of a grey water tank, I was looking at the portable tanks they have with casters on them. It seems like a decent enough solution as there is little room to add a grey water tank with reasonable volume anywhere out of the way enough to not leave it on the first speed bump.
Thank you very much. It has been raining here so haven't got under mine yet.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
sam

Default Grey water tank

We have a blue tank for grey water. We also have a tank on our trailer. It comes in handy at the state campsites . Sunday you have to wait in a long long line to dump. We dump late on Saturday to beat the system. Look on the nety for the best prices. Should be some sales this time of year.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #9

Ok sorry for being off here for so long. Decided to start our own business and been giving that 110% of our free time. Anyway here is what the connector looks like under the camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160419_173935184.jpg (333.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160419_174134902_HDR.jpg (341.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #10

Ok and now I have another issue. After going over the camper a little better I have noticed that one set of rollers are not on the guide one the bottom half of the camper. I did get a little extreme in my attempt to fix it but I think the reason is that one of the rollers is froze up and won't turn. Has anyone else had this issue? Can't do a major repair right now as we will be using the camper for 10 days very soon.

Also how about fixes for the seal around the top to bottom. It is old and works but want a tighter seal. Was thinking about a rubber flap on the bottom of the top half or even n the inside of the top half. Any thought?
Old 05-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #11
Site Team

Hillbilly, I may be wrong in my assumption, but that does not look stock to me. There is what appears to be a 2"x6" added to the floor board, then the toilet flange, and ending in the slider valve. With that addition, looking along the pipe, I notice the cable is rubbing against that. It may be a bit time consuming, but I think I'd find out why the 2 x 6 was added (soft floor?). Think I'd remove that, fix the floor if needed, perhaps add a "donut" of 5/8" ply and re-install the hardware. That cable was not designed to rub. It looks to be a temporary fix. Second good look! Is that valve upside down? Where does the second pipe come from? Wherever, it comes from, it's dumping direct to the ground, or am I not seeing something?
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #12

Thanks for the input Tree, here is another picture of it regarding the cable. As to being original I have no clue either. the floor is solid all over. it appears the boards were a space per say for the valve. Notice the guide in the picture for the cable. Now I must go lay on the cold wet ground and investigate further LOL. As to the smaller pipe I never really thought about it so now I got to know as well. When I figure it out I will post my findings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160419_173927945.jpg (320.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
Site Team

Hill, sorry about the ground, just the opposite here in Fla. Do you have a sink? Or shower? If so, I'm sure it is dumping right out. That's trouble in most campgrounds! I'm sure they make a flange assembly that makes a direct 90 degree turn with an input for grey water disposal, then the slide. Usually these two are separate. You would dump BLACK first, then GREY to help clean the black out of your hose. If you could find an assembly like that, it would clear the cable. Obviously, in time (short) that cable will cut thru the plastic pipe allowing water to saturate the cable! (Boing!)
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Hill, Best of luck in the new business.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #15

That is similar to mine but not exact. Mine has only 2 ears for the hose to clip to. Mine also has an additional pipe from the back side as well. The front pipe is for the kitchen sink and the rear one is for the shower. My trailer does not have that 2x6, just flat plywood.

For others wondering, the older trailers were designed so only the black water is stored on-board and grey water is either allowed to drain onto the ground or you need to use a separate grey water receptacle, whether it be a portable tank, bucket, or campground hook-up.

As for your seals, I have read on here that swimming pool noodles shoved in between the two halves once the top is up works well as additional sealing.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #16
Site Team

VPed, ironically, I was just chatting with a friend who hosts a camp ground in Ga. When he owned a CG in Mich, he said that grey water was allowed to "water the vegetation" way back then. Some CGs say that it attracts critters (think skunks, bear, raccoons, etc). If your collections are legal, no problem. Some people even use a bucket of grey to douse their campfires (even if they had no fire). But thanks for the info on older units, that will help me make choices when I work on them.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 06-03-2016, 10:31 PM   #17

Ok so here I am with good news. I did some research on the crapper valve. It is completely stock and it is a thetford valve. Now for the good news I can get a adapter to fit it to the ones everyone uses today for under 10 bucks. here is the link https://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/Va...05-2285VP.html

or

Thetford Curved Angled Adapter