Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #1

Default Quieting the Water Pump

I got tired of hearing the water pump cycling when dispersed camping (boon docking). I enjoy the quiet while camping I was annoyed by the noisy water pump and also concerned about annoying my neighbors, so I decided to take two steps in fixing the problem.

The first step was, I installed a hot water heater expansion tank which functions as an accumulator tank for the water pump and line. Technically there is no difference in how an expansion tank and an accumulator tank function as they both contain bladders and a pressurized section ... except the price, Shureflo accumulator tanks are about 4 times more expensive. I bought my expansion tank at Home Depot and chose the smaller one they had on the shelf, but in hind sight I probably would choose the larger one today, that is if it were to fit through the access door. The larger expansion tank would reduce the number of times the water pump cycles to refill it but not the amount of time the pump runs as either tank would have to supply the same amount of water.

I purchased the expansion tank, brass elbow, brass "Shark Bite" connector, and 1/2 inch tubing at Home Depot and I got the "T" connector at my local RV repair center. I lost the receipt but it ran about $70.00 ... those "Shark Bite" connectors are expensive but it made the installation easier. I could have gotten my with a PVC elbow but l prefer brass, even at the added cost. The anchoring strap is simply "plumbers tape" screwed to the Hi-Lo floor ... keeps the tank from rolling around.

This took care of the pump cycling every time I turned on the water, now I can get about 2 1/2 quarts before it starts up. But, it was still noisy as hell ... tracing down the noise I discovered that the supply lines under the sink were bouncing around, so I used some pipe insulation to quiet them and now you can hardly hear the pump run. Yeh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-05-27_14-24-08_84.jpg (92.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1196.jpg (82.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1195.jpg (89.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1192.jpg (92.5 KB, 95 views)

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Great idea.

Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
sam

Default Quieting the water pump

You think you died and went to heaven when you get rid of a noisy problem like this! We changed our worn out loud water pump this past spring. We were able to purchase a quiet model. Several models were for sale at our RV dealership.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

What model water pump did you get?
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
sam

Default What model of water pump quiet one.

My HiLo is parked at my mother's house while we are doing our restoration. Next time we go to work on it i will pull the paper work. Probably won't be until Sunday. We have been busy helping our disabled friends getting their inground pool winterized and several chores. In between work and several Md apts. Getting ready for rotator cuff surgery on Oct. 21st.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

No hurry Sam, you have more important duties to take care of. Thanks!
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
sam

Default Shurflo WhisperKing water pump

Don't you hate when your memory fails you!! Hubby reminded me the box was in our attic as it has a five year warranty. SWhurflo WhisperKing Rv water pump Model #2093-204-413,12vdc.Dimensions7.75x5.00x4.45" Flow rate 2.0gpm,7.5lpm.Amps5.5. Shutoff 30PSI. Warranty 5 Yrs. $99.95 Our Rv dealer gives us 10% off on parts because we bought the Rv from them. We also get 10% offservice work if we do it in the non busy season/Winter until the end of Martch.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
sam

Default Shurflow water Pump

It wasn't hard for hubby to install.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Don't you hate when your memory fails you!! Hubby reminded me the box was in our attic as it has a five year warranty. SWhurflo WhisperKing Rv water pump Model #2093-204-413,12vdc.Dimensions7.75x5.00x4.45" Flow rate 2.0gpm,7.5lpm.Amps5.5. Shutoff 30PSI. Warranty 5 Yrs. $99.95 Our Rv dealer gives us 10% off on parts because we bought the Rv from them. We also get 10% offservice work if we do it in the non busy season/Winter until the end of Martch.
Thanks Sam! That is more information than I needed but it is quite useful. I need to write that down, if I could remember where I put the pencil.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post
I got tired of hearing the water pump cycling when dispersed camping (boon docking). I enjoy the quiet while camping I was annoyed by the noisy water pump and also concerned about annoying my neighbors, so I decided to take two steps in fixing the problem.

The first step was, I installed a hot water heater expansion tank which functions as an accumulator tank for the water pump and line. Technically there is no difference in how an expansion tank and an accumulator tank function as they both contain bladders and a pressurized section ... except the price, Shureflo accumulator tanks are about 4 times more expensive. I bought my expansion tank at Home Depot and chose the smaller one they had on the shelf, but in hind sight I probably would choose the larger one today, that is if it were to fit through the access door. The larger expansion tank would reduce the number of times the water pump cycles to refill it but not the amount of time the pump runs as either tank would have to supply the same amount of water.

I purchased the expansion tank, brass elbow, brass "Shark Bite" connector, and 1/2 inch tubing at Home Depot and I got the "T" connector at my local RV repair center. I lost the receipt but it ran about $70.00 ... those "Shark Bite" connectors are expensive but it made the installation easier. I could have gotten my with a PVC elbow but l prefer brass, even at the added cost. The anchoring strap is simply "plumbers tape" screwed to the Hi-Lo floor ... keeps the tank from rolling around.

This took care of the pump cycling every time I turned on the water, now I can get about 2 1/2 quarts before it starts up. But, it was still noisy as hell ... tracing down the noise I discovered that the supply lines under the sink were bouncing around, so I used some pipe insulation to quiet them and now you can hardly hear the pump run. Yeh!
Are you using the factory set pressure on your expansion tank or a lower pressure because of the lower pressure used in travel trailers?
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

The Watts PLT-5 was preset real low at 20 psi and the pump goes to 35 psi (I think) with a stated capacity of 6 quarts ... I get about 3 quarts before the pump comes on and recharges it. If I dropped it to say 10 or 15 psi I might get a gallon between cycles, but it works as is so I haven't changed it yet.

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDgent View Post
The Watts PLT-5 was preset real low at 20 psi and the pump goes to 35 psi (I think) with a stated capacity of 6 quarts ... I get about 3 quarts before the pump comes on and recharges it. If I dropped it to say 10 or 15 psi I might get a gallon between cycles, but it works as is so I haven't changed it yet.
Thanks for the quick answer!
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #13

For those of you that want to install an expansion tank and live in an area that requires winterization I suggest mounting the tank vertically with the fitting on the bottom so all the water will drain out when clearing the water lines.

Amateur Radio K3EXU