Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

General Repairs, Modifications, Tips and tricks Show off your modifications, share a great idea, ask a question!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

Default roof repair are replace ?

I have a 1996 31 ft Hi-Lo that has some roof leaks I'm wondering if it needs repairing or should I replace it? Since I need to replace two ceiling panels.

Bobbykirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #2

Hi Bobbykirby,
Do you have any pictures, showing the extent of the damage.
Cordially, GoCamp

GoCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbykirby View Post
I have a 1996 31 ft Hi-Lo that has some roof leaks I'm wondering if it needs repairing or should I replace it? Since I need to replace two ceiling panels.
Leaks do not always appear from where the actual leak occurred. The leak will sometimes travel and show up at another location. You might want to pull the ceiling panels down and look for additional water damage. Then you have a better understanding of the extent of the leak and whether to just repair or replace.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
sam

Default Roof leaks

Is your roof metal or rubber? We need pictures to better help you. Reuben gave you good advice. Tear out the interior panels to see the extent of your damage. See if this post helps you. I can't find a post date so search by title/subject. Norton Ryder Recognizing Roof Galvanic Corrosion. This is an excellent post by Raul.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

I think it could be replaced with much better modern structural insulated panels. Rigid Styrofoam with aluminum bonded to the outside and thin wood on the inside. All supported by a welded aluminum "cage". Better insulated and nothing to ever rot and fail again.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

I'm trying to talk my cousin into taking some pictures for me. The roof is metal and the leak is around the roof a/c panels so I'm thinking it's leaking around the a/c
Bobbykirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbykirby View Post
I'm trying to talk my cousin into taking some pictures for me. The roof is metal and the leak is around the roof a/c panels so I'm thinking it's leaking around the a/c
Sometime the condensation from the AC unit doesn't drain like it is designed to do. Here's a thread on it.

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f29/...s-inside-2062/
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #8

Default structural materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I think it could be replaced with much better modern structural insulated panels. Rigid Styrofoam with aluminum bonded to the outside and thin wood on the inside. All supported by a welded aluminum "cage". Better insulated and nothing to ever rot and fail again.
I certainly agree with you on this one, in that some of the newer, honeycomb panels,
as used in aircraft and boat building, are strong, insulated and lightweight,
and offer a "skin" material of your choosing.
GoCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #9

By the time you notice the leak the damage is already done, I tried the rubber paint approach , it did not work, getting new inner and outer roof in bellville
msdawn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdawn50 View Post
By the time you notice the leak the damage is already done, I tried the rubber paint approach , it did not work, getting new inner and outer roof in bellville
Just make sure you inspect all of the work you have done and make sure it was done properly. I had cables adjusted but the jam nuts on the cables were not tightened properly and I had other problems after the fact.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote